Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CPU Usage over 98% after startup

CPU Usage over 98% after startup

Dave Low

Happy New Year to all.

I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.

Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert message that
the CPU usage is more than 98%.
Where and how do I check what are the causes?
How do I correct this problem?

Brian H¹©

Dave Low said:

> Happy New Year to all.
>
> I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
>
> Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert message that
> the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> How do I correct this problem?

It is probably the programs that are still loading after startup.
For instance and for example, it can take Outpost anything around 1 minute to
complete loading.
Stop worrying if the usage always drops to "normal" levels some time after
startup.

Jay

"Dave Low" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ff16122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Happy New Year to all.
>
> I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
>
> Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert message

that
> the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> How do I correct this problem?

start--> run--> msconfig

selective startup
go to startup and uncheck a lot of things. I don't have the complete list
of absolute necessities, but you can start by unchecking 3rd party apps like
real player, yahoo mssger, msn mssger, quicktime.

I'd also go to www.spywareguide.com and run the free online scan.

good luck

Kráftéé

Dave Low wrote:
> Happy New Year to all.
>
> I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
>
> Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert
> message that the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> How do I correct this problem?

Even though I do use Nortons & do recomend the product I would recomend you
don't (that's right don't) run anything other than the firewall & antivirus
automatically as they will eat up your resources. Run them regualarly or
when required to check your system but not all the time....

ralph

On 12/30/03 12:37 PM, Kráftéé wrote:

> Dave Low wrote:
>
>>Happy New Year to all.
>>
>>I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
>>
>>Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert
>>message that the CPU usage is more than 98%.
>>Where and how do I check what are the causes?
>>How do I correct this problem?

> Even though I do use Nortons & do recomend the product I would recomend you
> don't (that's right don't) run anything other than the firewall & antivirus
> automatically as they will eat up your resources. Run them regualarly or
> when required to check your system but not all the time....

I agree. Turn it all off. Run the AV on demand only and *NEVER* *NEVER*
use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla and by a router with a
built in firewall.

Dave Low

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2xjIb.281$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...

> "Dave Low" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3ff16122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Happy New Year to all.
> >
> > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
> >
> > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert

message
> that
> > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> > How do I correct this problem?

> start--> run--> msconfig
>
> selective startup
> go to startup and uncheck a lot of things. I don't have the complete

list
> of absolute necessities, but you can start by unchecking 3rd party apps

like
> real player, yahoo mssger, msn mssger, quicktime.
>
> I'd also go to www.spywareguide.com and run the free online scan.
>
> good luck

Thanks Jay
I'll try this out.

Dave

Dave Low

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:rwjIb.13244$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave Low said:
>
> > Happy New Year to all.
> >
> > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
> >
> > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert

message that
> > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> > How do I correct this problem?

> It is probably the programs that are still loading after startup.
> For instance and for example, it can take Outpost anything around 1

minute to
> complete loading.
> Stop worrying if the usage always drops to "normal" levels some time

after
> startup.

Problem is it does not drop to "normal" even after a long time.
Dave

Dave Low

"Jay" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2xjIb.281$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...

> "Dave Low" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3ff16122$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Happy New Year to all.
> >
> > I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
> >
> > Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert

message
> that
> > the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> > Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> > How do I correct this problem?

> start--> run--> msconfig
>
> selective startup
> go to startup and uncheck a lot of things. I don't have the complete

list
> of absolute necessities, but you can start by unchecking 3rd party apps

like
> real player, yahoo mssger, msn mssger, quicktime.
>
> I'd also go to www.spywareguide.com and run the free online scan.
>
> good luck

Thanks Jay.
I'll try it.
Rgds, Dave

HamMan

"ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8HjIb.4483$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On 12/30/03 12:37 PM, Kráftéé wrote:
>
> > Dave Low wrote:
> >
> >>Happy New Year to all.
> >>
> >>I have Pentium III 733MHz, 448MB RAM, Windows 98SE.
> >>
> >>Immediately after start-up, Norton System Doctor sends an alert
> >>message that the CPU usage is more than 98%.
> >>Where and how do I check what are the causes?
> >>How do I correct this problem?

> > Even though I do use Nortons & do recomend the product I would recomend

you
> > don't (that's right don't) run anything other than the firewall &

antivirus
> > automatically as they will eat up your resources. Run them regualarly

or
> > when required to check your system but not all the time....
> >

> I agree. Turn it all off. Run the AV on demand only and *NEVER* *NEVER*
> use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla and by a router with a
> built in firewall.

Dont you think you might be taking that a little far?

If the OP was using a 233 or something like that, then maybe, but it's a
good idea to have a realtime AV to stop a virus spreading itself through
dowlad directories etc. I know someone who lost 360Gb of warez that way!

Norton system works however, is the spawn of satan and should be disabled /
removed.

hamman

Don C

"ralph" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8HjIb.4483$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> and *NEVER* *NEVER* use OE or IE. Use Netscape or even better Mozilla

and by a router with a built in firewall.

Give me a break. I've used OE and IE for many years, and have never had
a virus or any significant problems. I have a software firewall (Kerio)
and use an online virus checker and adaware frequently. CPU usage can be
managed very well by controlling your start up programs.
-Don