Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Zone Alarm

Zone Alarm

Boomer

"TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bsoagq$eq87m$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
> available. When I installed it, it came with something called
> ZAclient. I then noticed that this was making an outgoing internet
> connection every 10 minutes or so. After I disabled it, I got a
> warning message that ZA would no longer be able to check for
> updates automatically. Surely there's no way on this Earth that
> ZA should have to check for updates every 10 minutes or so? I know
> that they have been taken over, or amalgamated or whatever, but
> could anyone shed any light on the matter?
> TIA

Check the ZA forums and alt.privacy.spyware also.

I happen to prefer/recommend Outpost firewall.

TRADESMAN

TRADESMAN wrote:
> Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
> available. When I installed it, it came with something called
> ZAclient.
> I then noticed that this was making an outgoing internet connection
> every 10 minutes or so. After I disabled it, I got a warning message
> that ZA would no longer be able to check for updates automatically.
> Surely there's no way on this Earth that ZA should have to check for
> updates every 10 minutes or so? I know that they have been taken
> over, or amalgamated or whatever, but could anyone shed any light on
> the matter?
> TIA

BreastLover

Is there a particular reason that you would recommend Outpost over
Zonealarm?

news:3fefae75$0$5082$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bsoagq$eq87m$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> > Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
> > available. When I installed it, it came with something called
> > ZAclient. I then noticed that this was making an outgoing internet
> > connection every 10 minutes or so. After I disabled it, I got a
> > warning message that ZA would no longer be able to check for
> > updates automatically. Surely there's no way on this Earth that
> > ZA should have to check for updates every 10 minutes or so? I know
> > that they have been taken over, or amalgamated or whatever, but
> > could anyone shed any light on the matter?
> > TIA

> Check the ZA forums and alt.privacy.spyware also.
>
> I happen to prefer/recommend Outpost firewall.

Sano

How 'bout my opinion? ZA spends their money on marketing, not their s/w.

I own it and won't use it.

"BreastLover" <(E-Mail Removed)> spluttered in

> Is there a particular reason that you would recommend Outpost over
> Zonealarm?

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fefae75$0$5082$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
>> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:bsoagq$eq87m$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>>
>> > Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
>> > available. When I installed it, it came with something called
>> > ZAclient.

<snip>

--
If a computer won't do what needs to be done, lie to it.
Don't try this trick on people.

why?

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:04:16 GMT, BreastLover wrote:

>Is there a particular reason that you would recommend Outpost over
>Zonealarm?

Although I was fairly happy with ZA (free) and later ZAP , it had some
service hang issues and was hard to clear out all registry settings and
data files to reload it.

My ZAP 1 year renew expired a few months ago and I stopped using it long
before that.

After many threads on the subject in 24HSHD I went with the Outpost
route. I prefer the log file viewer, the rules for active content blocks
part of the plugins. As well as the global settings, ICMP options and
switch between stealth / normal mode.

Another factor was the cost, a 5 PC family pack was cheaper than the 2/3
other packages just about to expire after 1 year free.

>"Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:3fefae75$0$5082$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
>> "TRADESMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:bsoagq$eq87m$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>>
>> > Over Christmas I got a notice from ZA, that an updated version was
>> > available. When I installed it, it came with something called
>> > ZAclient. I then noticed that this was making an outgoing internet
>> > connection every 10 minutes or so. After I disabled it, I got a
>> > warning message that ZA would no longer be able to check for
>> > updates automatically. Surely there's no way on this Earth that

<snip>

Me