Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Whats This?

Whats This?

Bodysnatcher

Sorry boomer didn't read the last bit.DOH
"Bodysnatcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bso44d$r0q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it ok to delete???
> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fef8650$0$5103$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> > "Bodysnatcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > news:bso0d6$mkl$(E-Mail Removed):
> >
> > > Hi all.
> > > Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a
> > > unfamiliar file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The
> > > file is 182kb called ~ , any ideas!

> > It's a MS 'problem'. They know about it. It will happen every time
> > you change your address book, I believe.
> >
> > Search the archives here and you will find further information on it.
> >
> > http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
> >
> > Sorry, I don't, won't use IE/OE so can't help further.

Boomer

"Bodysnatcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bso44d$r0q$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it ok to delete???

Did you do some changes with your address book?

Probably can delete. Though I would run some spyware/adware programs
first.

Reboot and see what happens. Keep in the recycle bin for a week or so.

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3fef8650$0$5103$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
>> "Bodysnatcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:bso0d6$mkl$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > Hi all.
>> > Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found
>> > a unfamiliar file in My Documents and was wondering what it is.
>> > The file is 182kb called ~ , any ideas!

>> It's a MS 'problem'. They know about it. It will happen every
>> time you change your address book, I believe.
>>
>> Search the archives here and you will find further information on
>> it.
>>
>> http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
>>
>> Sorry, I don't, won't use IE/OE so can't help further.

Bodysnatcher

Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and that has
not found anything so where to now???
"EricP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 01:35:34 +0000 (UTC), "Bodysnatcher"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hi all.
> >Have only been running win xp home for a couple of days. Found a

unfamiliar
> >file in My Documents and was wondering what it is. The file is 182kb

called
> >~ , any ideas!

> There are two possibilities. One is the Address Book mentioned. Open
> the file and see if it contains your address book details. If it does,
> don't worry, look for the Update an dit should go away after you
> delete it.
>
> The other is that there is a virus that puts the same ~ in your
> machine, but usually on the desktop. I had it last year.
> Now this is a slim chance and the dodgy address book is much more
> likely.
>
> The virus is easily found by AV and deleted, so the rogue address book
> is even more likely. Run a good AV to make sure.

Mara

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:20 +0000 (UTC), Bodysnatcher wrote:

>Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
>I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and that has
>not found anything so where to now???

http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/

<snip>

--
There are three types of people in this world - those who see the light,
those who don't, and those who get a brief glance of it just as I slam

Boomer

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:20 +0000 (UTC), Bodysnatcher wrote:
>
>>Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
>>I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and
>>that has not found anything so where to now???

> http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
> http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/
>
> <snip>

What made me backtrack was that it wasn't on his desktop.
He said it appeared in 'My Documents'. So thought running the
spyware/adware goodies would be a good idea anyway.

Odd how it landed there, though.

Mara

On 29 Dec 2003 03:52:09 GMT, Boomer wrote:

>Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 03:33:20 +0000 (UTC), Bodysnatcher wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks Eric, and everyone else.
>>>I've opened it with notepad and it's gobblyguk. I've run NAV and
>>>that has not found anything so where to now???

>> http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
>> http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>What made me backtrack was that it wasn't on his desktop.
>He said it appeared in 'My Documents'. So thought running the
>spyware/adware goodies would be a good idea anyway.

That's _always_ a good idea. No system should be without them.

>Odd how it landed there, though.

Nothing would surprise me about Winblows. Just for a lark, I downloaded SP 4 for
2k and installed it on my other machine, just to see what it would screw up.
It's supposed to reboot when it's done installing if you ok it. I did, and the
system promptly hung up. I had to hit the reset button.

But that may be the machine. It's got a problem. It's a dual-boot, 2k/SuSE9.0,
and neither VoptXP or the native defragger will work. It would't work even when
I just 2k on it, too, though both work on this box. It's the first time I've
ever seen this happen, and I haven't had time to work on it.

"Gah."

--
There are three types of people in this world - those who see the light,
those who don't, and those who get a brief glance of it just as I slam
the door in their face.

Boomer

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 29 Dec 2003 03:52:09 GMT, Boomer wrote:
>
>>Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> http://supportdesk.iit.edu/outexp.htm
>>> http://filext.com/faq/idx/0/002/article/
>>>
>>> <snip>
>>>

>>What made me backtrack was that it wasn't on his desktop.
>>He said it appeared in 'My Documents'. So thought running the
>>spyware/adware goodies would be a good idea anyway.

> That's _always_ a good idea. No system should be without them.
>
>>Odd how it landed there, though.

> Nothing would surprise me about Winblows. Just for a lark, I
> downloaded SP 4 for 2k and installed it on my other machine, just
> to see what it would screw up. It's supposed to reboot when it's
> done installing if you ok it. I did, and the system promptly hung
> up. I had to hit the reset button.
>
> But that may be the machine. It's got a problem. It's a dual-boot,
> 2k/SuSE9.0, and neither VoptXP or the native defragger will work.
> It would't work even when I just 2k on it, too, though both work
> on this box. It's the first time I've ever seen this happen, and I
> haven't had time to work on it.
>
> "Gah."

New, from BG, Windows Gah Edition for 2004, '05, '06 etc.!

GAH = Great Assinine Hacks

Mara

On 29 Dec 2003 04:12:26 GMT, Boomer wrote:

>Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :

<snip>
>New, from BG, Windows Gah Edition for 2004, '05, '06 etc.!
>
>GAH = Great Assinine Hacks

That would be Longhorn.

"Why anyone would want Microshaft to have control over their computers is beyond
me."

--
There are three types of people in this world - those who see the light,
those who don't, and those who get a brief glance of it just as I slam
the door in their face.

Brian H

Ks said:

> I was being sarcastic there mate...
>

> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> news:N1MHb.12400$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ks said:
>>
>>> Its from the address book, there is an MS update that will cure it..

>> It's an MS update that is *causing* it.
>>

>>> "Bodysnatcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bso0d6$mkl$(E-Mail Removed)...

Boomer

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 29 Dec 2003 04:12:26 GMT, Boomer wrote:
>
>>Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:

> <snip>
>>New, from BG, Windows Gah Edition for 2004, '05, '06 etc.!
>>
>>GAH = Great Assinine Hacks

> That would be Longhorn.
>
> "Why anyone would want Microshaft to have control over their
> computers is beyond me."

Thats one BIG reason I won't do XP! Though I would to have like 2k.

I don't know whats wrong!!! =?Utf-8?B?S2lt?= Wireless Networking 2 09-08-2005 08:21 AM
whats this error?? Neo VHDL 4 01-31-2005 12:47 PM
Whats happening to my router? Bryan Martin Cisco 5 01-10-2004 01:23 AM
$v = shift OR$_[0] on a filehandle, whats teh difereence Eduard W. Lohmann Perl 1 12-02-2003 06:30 PM
perl 6 syntax ?? whats changed ?? DukeNM Perl 0 12-01-2003 11:00 AM

Advertisments