Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Motherboard DDR memory question

Motherboard DDR memory question

cblocke3

Some new motherboards can handle DDR333 or DDR400 memory.
Which is better, 3 gig of DDR333 or 1 gig of DDR400?
An is there any real significant difference between PC2700 and PC3200
Memory?
And which is the best way to go. Photoshop will be the biggest power
hog, and I have some large files to deal with (90-600 Meg TIFF files).

ICee

cblocke3 wrote:
> Some new motherboards can handle DDR333 or DDR400 memory.
> Which is better, 3 gig of DDR333 or 1 gig of DDR400?
> An is there any real significant difference between PC2700 and PC3200
> Memory?
> And which is the best way to go. Photoshop will be the biggest power
> hog, and I have some large files to deal with (90-600 Meg TIFF files).

DDR (Double Data Rate) memory is rated for whatever speed the FSB of the
motherboard is running. DDR333 is PC2700, which is 166 MHz FSB speed.
DDR400 is PC3200, which is 200 MHz FSB.
Using PC3200 memory on a PC2700 bus will not have any effect at all.
If you're using Photoshop, you should get as much memory as possible, as
it uses loads, as I'm sure you know.

B.Al.Zeebub

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:00:16 -0800, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:

> Some new motherboards can handle DDR333 or DDR400 memory.
> Which is better, 3 gig of DDR333 or 1 gig of DDR400?
> An is there any real significant difference between PC2700 and PC3200
> Memory?
> And which is the best way to go. Photoshop will be the biggest power
> hog, and I have some large files to deal with (90-600 Meg TIFF files).

I have 1024mb of dual channel PC400 DDR SDRAM, and that seems to be <ahem>
adequate when editing digital images. Just make sure your components are
compatible.

--
B.Al.Zeebub
Registered Linux User #339345

Jerry McEwen

On 27 Dec 2003 19:00:16 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (cblocke3) wrote:

>Some new motherboards can handle DDR333 or DDR400 memory.
>Which is better, 3 gig of DDR333 or 1 gig of DDR400?
>An is there any real significant difference between PC2700 and PC3200
>Memory?
>And which is the best way to go. Photoshop will be the biggest power
>hog, and I have some large files to deal with (90-600 Meg TIFF files).

Hi, I do a bit of Photoshop too and probably my largest file was 3-400
MB. When I built my machine, I decided to go with Mushkin RAM and they
told me that, with my mobo choice, I should only go to 2100 even
though 2700 was available. I would ask the mobo mfgr.