Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > backing up dvds

backing up dvds

GORDON EDWARDS

hi
when trying to back up a dvd i managed to copy it to the harddrive of the pc
but when i tried burning it to dvdr it says there is too much for the dvdr
to take,
the dvdr is ritek 4xdvdr with 4.7gb capacity but when looking at the size of
the film on the h/d it is 7.3 gb,
any ideas of a way round this?
i am using smartripper & nero 6 on winxp with optorite dvd rw,
tia
gordon.

Bill Schnakenberg

GORDON EDWARDS wrote:

>hi
>when trying to back up a dvd i managed to copy it to the harddrive of the pc
>but when i tried burning it to dvdr it says there is too much for the dvdr
>to take,
>the dvdr is ritek 4xdvdr with 4.7gb capacity but when looking at the size of
>the film on the h/d it is 7.3 gb,
>any ideas of a way round this?
>i am using smartripper & nero 6 on winxp with optorite dvd rw,
>tia
>gordon.

It has to be compressed.
Free software - http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Erik

> the dvdr is ritek 4xdvdr with 4.7gb capacity but when looking at the size
of
> the film on the h/d it is 7.3 gb,
> any ideas of a way round this?

the film is 7.3gb. cause its double-layer..

you are probably using a single-layer dvd-r which only can hold up to 4.7.

can your writer burn double-layer dvd's?? then try the double-sided dvd's..
then you can get up to 18gb on a single dvd!!

... or RIP the film to mpg format.. approx. 1 - 1.5gb (use DvDx)

greetings! Erik

Budweiser

seek out "clone dvd "and run "any dvd" along side

burn image with nero
no messing with compression et al

"GORDON EDWARDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wooHb.363$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi
> when trying to back up a dvd i managed to copy it to the harddrive of the

pc
> but when i tried burning it to dvdr it says there is too much for the dvdr
> to take,
> the dvdr is ritek 4xdvdr with 4.7gb capacity but when looking at the size

of
> the film on the h/d it is 7.3 gb,
> any ideas of a way round this?
> i am using smartripper & nero 6 on winxp with optorite dvd rw,
> tia
> gordon.

ErmYouKnow

I use DVD Decrypter in conjunction with CloneDVD - makes perfect copies.
(Note, DVD Decypter IS free, however you can use CloneDVD upto 30 days)
news:e6pHb.11647$(E-Mail Removed)...