Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing Third Hard Drive

Installing Third Hard Drive

jayne beaumont

Hi all, can someone please help me?

I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
comprises of the following:

OS: Win XP (Home)
RAM: 512 DDR
BIOS: Award Modular
Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard Drive
8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP

I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower unit but
even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not recognise the extra
hard drive. I am sure that all connections are correct. I have got 4 IDE
slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2 hard drives.

I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.

I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need any
more info.

Jayne

why?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:38:19 -0000, jayne beaumont wrote:

>Hi all, can someone please help me?
>
>I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
>comprises of the following:
>
>OS: Win XP (Home)
>RAM: 512 DDR
>BIOS: Award Modular

Version for the BIOS helps.

<snip>

>I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
>
>I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
>unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?

Can't get to the gigabyte site just now, page for manuals is always

For an 8PE667 mobo, also gigabyte.

BIOS Setup
Integrated Peripherals

Onboard ATA/RAID - Enable/Disable
RAID Contoller function - ATA / RAID

YOu may also find that IDE1/2 is ATA 33 or 66/100 cable and drives while
IDE 3/4 is ATA133 cables and drives.

>Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need any
>more info.

Got into gigabyte via New Zealand site.

Although not likely to make much difference,

2 Revisions of the manual 1202 7MB
http://nz.giga-byte.com/Download/Dow...l_7vaxpu_e.pdf

and 1102 for PBC ver 1.1 and 5MB
http://nz.giga-byte.com/Download/Dow...al_7vaxp_e.pdf

Me

why?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:52:22 GMT, why? wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:38:19 -0000, jayne beaumont wrote:
>
>>Hi all, can someone please help me?
>>
>>I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
>>comprises of the following:
>>
>>OS: Win XP (Home)
>>RAM: 512 DDR
>>BIOS: Award Modular

>Version for the BIOS helps.
>
><snip>
>
>>I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
>>
>>I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
>>unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?

>Can't get to the gigabyte site just now, page for manuals is always

It would be this broken JavaScript on the TW & UK sites

function openWin(imgName,winName,wide,high){

newWindow=new Object(
)

//make the opening window to be the actived one

That's right, the newWindow line above is a load os <spaces> between the
() , whereas the working NZ http://nz.giga-byte.com/site has,

function openWin(imgName,winName,wide,high){

newWindow=window.open(imgName,winName,'width='+wid e+',height='+high+',scrollbars=no,resizable=no')

//make the opening window to be the actived one

<snip>

Either a hack or poor quality control.....

Me

Patrick

jayne beaumont wrote:
> Hi all, can someone please help me?
>
> I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system
> currently comprises of the following:
>
> OS: Win XP (Home)
> RAM: 512 DDR
> BIOS: Award Modular
> Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard
> Drive 8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
> Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP
>
> I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower
> unit but even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not
> recognise the extra hard drive. I am sure that all connections are
> correct. I have got 4 IDE slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2
> hard drives.
>
> I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not
> recognised.
>
> I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I
> am unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you
> need any more info.
>
> Jayne

An extract from the manual (manual-page 18 (24 of 12 at;
http://europe.giga-byte.com/MotherBo...al_7vaxp_e.pdf

If elsewhere than Europe use this address and choose;
http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...al_7vaxp_e.pdf

2. If you wish to use IDE3 and IDE4, please use
it in unity with BIOS (either RAID or ATA133).
Then, install the correct driver to have proper
operation. For details, please refer to
the RAID manual.

Said RAID manual is possibly this;
http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...raid_20276.pdf

Main Gigabyte page for manuals is;
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...anual_List.htm

Phil

"jayne beaumont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:13fHb.76$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, can someone please help me?
>
> I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
> comprises of the following:
>
> OS: Win XP (Home)
> RAM: 512 DDR
> BIOS: Award Modular
> Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard

Drive
> 8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
> Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP
>
> I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower unit but
> even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not recognise the extra
> hard drive. I am sure that all connections are correct. I have got 4 IDE
> slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2 hard drives.
>
> I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
>
> I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
> unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need

any
> more info.
>
> Jayne

Have u formatted the new HD using Disk Management?

Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Storage> Disk Management

Steven Heller

Did you look at what the jumpers are set to. Slave / master or cable
select. Maybe try a couple of different setting

Steve

why? wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:52:22 GMT, why? wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:38:19 -0000, jayne beaumont wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all, can someone please help me?
>>>
>>>I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
>>>comprises of the following:
>>>
>>>OS: Win XP (Home)
>>>RAM: 512 DDR
>>>BIOS: Award Modular
>>>

>>Version for the BIOS helps.
>>
>><snip>
>>

>>>I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
>>>
>>>I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
>>>unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
>>>

>>Can't get to the gigabyte site just now, page for manuals is always
>>

>It would be this broken JavaScript on the TW & UK sites
>
>function openWin(imgName,winName,wide,high){
>
>newWindow=new Object(
>)
>
>//make the opening window to be the actived one
>

>That's right, the newWindow line above is a load os <spaces> between the
>() , whereas the working NZ http://nz.giga-byte.com/site has,
>

>function openWin(imgName,winName,wide,high){
>
>newWindow=window.open(imgName,winName,'width='+wi de+',height='+high+',scrollbars=no,resizable=no')
>
>//make the opening window to be the actived one
>

><snip>
>
>Either a hack or poor quality control.....
>
>Me

why?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:03:07 GMT, Steven Heller wrote:

Please post in plain text only.

>Did you look at what the jumpers are set to. Slave / master or cable
>select. Maybe try a couple of different setting

You are telling me this why?

So you are just guessing?

If it's the only drive on the cable, it should not matter if it's M/S
and the mobo the OP has IIRC does not use CS

>Steve
>
>why? wrote:

<snip>

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:42:26 GMT, Phil wrote:

>"jayne beaumont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:13fHb.76$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all, can someone please help me?
>>
>> I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
>> comprises of the following:
>>
>> OS: Win XP (Home)
>> RAM: 512 DDR
>> BIOS: Award Modular
>> Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard

>Drive
>> 8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
>> Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP
>>
>> I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower unit but
>> even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not recognise the extra
>> hard drive. I am sure that all connections are correct. I have got 4 IDE
>> slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2 hard drives.
>>
>> I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
>>
>> I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
>> unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
>>
>> Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need

>any
>> more info.
>>
>> Jayne
>>

>Have u formatted the new HD using Disk Management?

Won't help yet, OP is looking for drive to be recognised by the system
well before any OS starts.