Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > broadband!!

broadband!!

Paul - xxx

Kráftéé posted ...

> Paul - xxx wrote:
>> stig posted ...
>>
>>> Rcently got ntl 600k broadband (yipee!!) but after about 15 minutes
>>> it just 'hangs' then i have to re boot and start all over
>>> again(yikes!!) Someone suggested that an Ethernet card would fix
>>> this ?? Is this sound advice?? I am using it on an USB at the
>>> moment . I know the simple thing would be just to try it but there
>>> aint no harm in asking first !! TIA
>>>
>>> Windows 98, Celeron, 256mb, 5gb hd.

>> USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
>> 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
>> area ..

> USB can & often does lead to a PC hanging, especially if it has a VIA
> chipset &/or older USB drivers installed (I've even known PC's with
> Intel chipsets to suffer but it is very rare)....

OK .. I didn't know that. I do know that certain media card readers, like
Kodak / Lexar, and digital cameras, have problems with VIA chipsets and USB
communications, but I didn't know it was 'across the board' for USB
peripherals ..

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link where I can read more on this as I
have a friend who is currently having problems with just the setup I've
described, Card reader / USB on VIA chipset, and I would like to help him
more than I have so far. Frankly I've suggested getting a better setup
altogether .. but that's a sledgehammer approach ...

--
Paul

Michael Thompson

Hello Paul,

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003, at 21:20:02 [GMT -0000] (which was 21:20 in my
TimeZone) you wrote:

> Kráftéé posted ...

>> Paul - xxx wrote:
>>> stig posted ...

>>> USB _does_ run a bit slower than a network card, but it shouldn't
>>> 'hang' the computer. Maybe it's just a problem with NTL in your
>>> area ..

>> USB can & often does lead to a PC hanging, especially if it has a VIA
>> chipset &/or older USB drivers installed (I've even known PC's with
>> Intel chipsets to suffer but it is very rare)....

> OK .. I didn't know that. I do know that certain media card readers, like
> Kodak / Lexar, and digital cameras, have problems with VIA chipsets and USB
> communications, but I didn't know it was 'across the board' for USB
> peripherals ..

> Thanks for the info. Do you have a link where I can read more on this as I
> have a friend who is currently having problems with just the setup I've
> described, Card reader / USB on VIA chipset, and I would like to help him
> more than I have so far. Frankly I've suggested getting a better setup
> altogether .. but that's a sledgehammer approach ...

And NTL is shite.

--
Best regards,
Michael

http://www.thompsonmike.co.uk/
PGP KeyID := 0xA9547E32

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.