Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Corrupted Recycle Bin? How?

Corrupted Recycle Bin? How?

One Type of Industrial Pollution

This happens when I use Windows Washer and X-Cleaner: It does what it's
supposed to do, as far as cleaning temp files, recent documents, etc.
But when it gets to the Recycle Bin, I get this error:

"The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle
Bin for this drive?"

By the way, I'm using Windows XP on a Dell Optiplex GX-1 with a Pentium
3 450mhz processor with 576 megs of RAM.

So does this mean the Recycle Bin is actually corrupted, or is it just
the way Window Washer and X-Cleaner work? And if the Recycle Bin is
corrupted, how do I go about fixing it? Hope someone can help.

why?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:39:35 GMT, One Type of Industrial Pollution
wrote:

>This happens when I use Windows Washer and X-Cleaner: It does what it's
>supposed to do, as far as cleaning temp files, recent documents, etc.
>But when it gets to the Recycle Bin, I get this error:
>
>"The Recycle Bin on C:\ is corrupted. Do you want to empty the Recycle
>Bin for this drive?"

<snip>

>So does this mean the Recycle Bin is actually corrupted, or is it just
>the way Window Washer and X-Cleaner work? And if the Recycle Bin is

That's not a very good thing for any software to work that way is it.

>corrupted, how do I go about fixing it? Hope someone can help.

Normally to delete the RCB folders, (WinNT4/Win2000)

Recycle Bin / Properties / Global / Use one setting for all drives /
tick Do not move files to RCB. Remove files on delete.

You can then delete the Recycler folder. You may need to remove hidden
or system attributes first.

Re-enable the RCB.

Me