Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clicking Sound

Clicking Sound

cheekycharlie

Hi
Merry Christmas.
A friend of mine is running Win XP, but when his coputer is running he hears
a clicking sound.
He thinks it is could be his hard drive. Is this true and is it fatal?
Thanks
Michael

Blinky the Shark

cheekycharlie wrote:

> Merry Christmas.
> A friend of mine is running Win XP, but when his coputer is running he hears
> a clicking sound.
> He thinks it is could be his hard drive. Is this true and is it fatal?

It's probably just the HD accessing data. I don't hear that, any more,
because I have a loud (4.5"/120cm fan on my case side), but I presume
HDs still make the little blipblip sounds with head movement.

--
Blinky Linux RU 4892F
The Boulder Pledge http://blinkynet.net/spag/boulder.html

SgtMinor

cheekycharlie wrote:

> Hi
> Merry Christmas.
> A friend of mine is running Win XP, but when his coputer is running he hears
> a clicking sound.
> He thinks it is could be his hard drive. Is this true and is it fatal?
> Thanks
> Michael

Yes, it is true that your friend believes this. Not fatal, but I could
be wrong.