Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Media

Media

slaphappy

Could one of you kind souls point me in the direction of a good digest
on "how to" assemble and play various media file formats. I have WMP
9.0, Forte, RealOne and Quicktime but remain baffled about so much. I
see file format conflicts everywhere even though file settings seem to
be OK. WMP is set as default for almost everything but actually balks at
almost all. For example, I cannot play .avi in Forte but can save an
..avi file and play it in WMP even though .avi is defaulted to WMP in
Forte. I cannot play any wmv either although WMP is set as wmv default.
Baffled????

Thanks

Ionizer

"slaphappy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could one of you kind souls point me in the direction of a good digest
> on "how to" assemble and play various media file formats. I have WMP
> 9.0, Forte, RealOne and Quicktime but remain baffled about so much. I
> see file format conflicts everywhere even though file settings seem to
> be OK. WMP is set as default for almost everything but actually balks at
> almost all. For example, I cannot play .avi in Forte but can save an
> .avi file and play it in WMP even though .avi is defaulted to WMP in
> Forte. I cannot play any wmv either although WMP is set as wmv default.
> Baffled????
>
> Thanks

WMP and RealOne both have a tendency want to be the default player for every
file format possible. If you enable one as the default player for a
particular format, make sure you have DISabled the other player for that
format. You only need RealOne for playing its proprietary Real media files,
so there's no need to have it set as default for anything else. I
personally refuse to install any Real software at all on my system.

Regards,
Ian.