Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is the different?

What is the different?

Steven Pua

hi,

I need extra USB port for my broadband and scanner. But i noticed two types
of USB port around. One of them is without power adapter another with. Which
one should i buy and why?

Steven

TinCanMan

"Steven Pua" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bsdrqf$2me$(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi,
>
> I need extra USB port for my broadband and scanner. But i noticed two

types
> of USB port around. One of them is without power adapter another with.

Which
> one should i buy and why?
>
> Steven

You nust be talking about a USB Hub to expand the number of existing ports.
I'd recommend getting the powered hub as the longer the cable length the
weaker the signal strength. A powered hub will boost the signal. Make sure
the hub is v2.0 compliant.

Richard

Steven Pua wrote:

> hi,

> I need extra USB port for my broadband and scanner. But i noticed two
> types of USB port around. One of them is without power adapter another
> with. Which one should i buy and why?

> Steven

Buy a four port hub without power.
Since your scanner and modem are already powered.
The powered units supply power to low power/amperage devices.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question361.htm

pcbutts1

Get a powered hub.