Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > start button, tool bar and sys tray gone!

start button, tool bar and sys tray gone!

pcgr1

Okay, I was having problems with Windows ME updates, so reinstalled ME on
top of Windows Me. Now my Tool bar and start menu is gone. Also gone in
safe mode. I've tried to restore using the command line but nothing, cause I
don't have any restore points after the reinstall. I've just finished using
norton and no viruses. Ran scandisk, registry file checker, and now
running defrag. I've done some reading, and I didn't delete wmp 9, Norton,
and internet explorer 6.0 prior to the reinstall. So how can I delete these
programs in dos. Also, how do I get my tool bar back? In safe mode, all I
see is safe mode in all 4 corners, that's it. I've tried everything. Don't
know what is left to do.

Thanks,
Pat

Sultan

Pat, the best thing you can do is to reformat your hard drive and do a
complete clean reinstall. Hopefully you have made backups of your data
files. I usually go hole hog and delete the existing partition and recreate
it before I reformat. I would also suggest formatting your drive into two
partitions, one for the OS only and the other for your program and data
files, that way next time you won't have to worry about the data- but you
will need to reinstall your programs so Windows knows they are there.

Sultan

pcgr1

I haven't backed anything up. It's a big drive. I was hoping to prevent
that. I will do it, but just want to get into windows first. There's gotta
be a way. Should I try to do a reinstall? How do I delete Windows media
player 9 and internet explorer? I read that's the reason my install didn't
go well.

Pat

mb

I'd try the reinstall again, see if Windows fixes itself. If you don't care
about reinstalling the programs, wipe the registry before reinstalling from
a startup disk - that solves most problems as the registry makes most of
windows run - you just have to reinstall programs since the registry doesn't
know they exist, even though they would still be on the hard drive.

"Sultan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns945BB3CA95EBsultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.15 7.130...
> Pat, the best thing you can do is to reformat your hard drive and do a
> complete clean reinstall. Hopefully you have made backups of your data
> files. I usually go hole hog and delete the existing partition and

recreate
> it before I reformat. I would also suggest formatting your drive into two
> partitions, one for the OS only and the other for your program and data
> files, that way next time you won't have to worry about the data- but you
> will need to reinstall your programs so Windows knows they are there.
>
> Sultan

Sultan

pcgr1 wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I haven't backed anything up. It's a big drive. I was hoping to
> prevent that. I will do it, but just want to get into windows first.
> There's gotta be a way. Should I try to do a reinstall? How do I
> delete Windows media player 9 and internet explorer? I read that's the
> reason my install didn't go well.
>
> Pat

Lets start with Windows Media Player 9, you will want to read this article:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html

While it is not full of good news I did find others who had luck using
McAfees Quick Clean. I have never used a McAffee product myself, I use
Nortons Clean Sweep. If you don't have either of these do a search on
download.com or Tucows.com for a software uninstaller.

For getting rid of IE 6 this is a how to:

I would be neglecting my duties as a computer tech if I didn't advise you
to ditch ME ASAP. It has to be the worst version of Windows ever made. If
your PC can meet the minimum system requirements I would recommend going to
XP, just make sure you have a minimum of 256MB of Ram or your system will
be painfully slow.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can be reached at
sultanofcyber @ hotmail . com (have to keep the spammers at bay thus the
spaces).

Sultan

Juan Pérez

In news:Xns945BBBC9EA0A0sultanofcyberhotmail@209.25.1 57.130,
Sultan <(E-Mail Removed)> typed:
> pcgr1 wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I haven't backed anything up. It's a big drive. I was hoping to
> > prevent that. I will do it, but just want to get into windows
> > first. There's gotta be a way. Should I try to do a reinstall?
> > How do I delete Windows media player 9 and internet explorer? I
> > read that's the reason my install didn't go well.
> >
> > Pat
> >

> Lets start with Windows Media Player 9, you will want to read this
> article: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-957704.html
>
> While it is not full of good news I did find others who had luck using
> McAfees Quick Clean. I have never used a McAffee product myself, I use
> Nortons Clean Sweep. If you don't have either of these do a search on
> download.com or Tucows.com for a software uninstaller.
>
> For getting rid of IE 6 this is a how to:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q293907
>
> I would be neglecting my duties as a computer tech

LOL If you "neglect your duties" I can personally assure that you won't
get fired from this newsgroup )

if I didn't advise
> you to ditch ME ASAP. It has to be the worst version of Windows ever
> made.

McAfee and/or Norton can mess up your machine, so I read from the
majority of regulars of this group. I have personally used neither for
this reason.

If your PC can meet the minimum system requirements I would
> recommend going to XP, just make sure you have a minimum of 256MB of
> Ram or your system will be painfully slow.
>
> Let me know if you have any other questions. I can be reached at
> sultanofcyber @ hotmail . com (have to keep the spammers at bay thus
> the spaces).
>
> Sultan

Sultan

Thanks Juan, I find any utility such as Clean Sweep etc can cause problems
if the user doesn't understand fully what he/she is doing with it. The
important thing is to backup first and remember to restore if things turn
ugly.

Sultan

Lawrence Rottersman

I wonder if your problem is not virus related? Because, like you, I had
the same problem and exhausted every option I could think of except the
one recommended, which I wound up doing: reinstalling the OS. If you're
looking for something positive, well, you do clean out the closet.

Jerry G.

Backup all your user data, re-partition the drive, re-format, and
re-install.

I would suggest at this time, to upgrade to a better operating system. You
will find XP to be a lot more stable. In the future, I would suggest doing
backups of your system if you are a serious user. There are many backup
systems out there to choose from. One good one is to use a second hard
drive, and invest in a good backup utility.

We found ME to be very troublesome, and not worth investing time in to it.

If you don't have Windows compatibility issues, take a look at Linux. But,
this will involved a lot of learning over again, and re-investment in new
software's. Redhat is a very good flavour of Linux. There are others that
are also very good.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"pcgr1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Okay, I was having problems with Windows ME updates, so reinstalled ME on
top of Windows Me. Now my Tool bar and start menu is gone. Also gone in
safe mode. I've tried to restore using the command line but nothing, cause I
don't have any restore points after the reinstall. I've just finished using
norton and no viruses. Ran scandisk, registry file checker, and now
running defrag. I've done some reading, and I didn't delete wmp 9, Norton,
and internet explorer 6.0 prior to the reinstall. So how can I delete these
programs in dos. Also, how do I get my tool bar back? In safe mode, all I
see is safe mode in all 4 corners, that's it. I've tried everything. Don't
know what is left to do.

Thanks,
Pat

pcgr1

Well I got it to work! I reinstalled ME in dos mode and I got my tool bar
back! I have to reinstall Internet explorer and Norton antivirus. I
noticed my pc doesn't freeze anymore like it used to. I will invest in a
good backup program. Anyone know of a good one that is free or not very
expensive? I really dislike XP, that's why I won't buy it. Too much eye
candy. If I change I would consider 2000. What is everyone's opinion on
Windows 2000? Does anyone use Norton system works? What is your opinion
on it?

Thanks everyone,
Pat