Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Wireless channel availablity test

Wireless channel availablity test

fgnight@hotmail.com

Hi All!

I just got myself a wireless kit for home use. As I live in central
London it is likely that frequesncy channels may be used up in my
area. Is there a program to sniff out what channels are busy and which
are free?

Thanks

pcbutts1

Your card will pick up all available channels. To keep others from using
yours use WEP.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All!
>
> I just got myself a wireless kit for home use. As I live in central
> London it is likely that frequesncy channels may be used up in my
> area. Is there a program to sniff out what channels are busy and which
> are free?
>
> Thanks

M Mullen

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 19:38:33 +0000, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|> Hi All!
|>
|> I just got myself a wireless kit for home use. As I live in central
|> London it is likely that frequesncy channels may be used up in my
|> area. Is there a program to sniff out what channels are busy and which
|> are free?

WiFi? if so there are hand held units to sniff them out.
Walk around until the unit lights, sit down and connect.

--
,,
( "> w

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I just got myself a wireless kit for home use. As I live in central
> London it is likely that frequesncy channels may be used up in my
> area. Is there a program to sniff out what channels are busy and which
> are free?
>
> Thanks

Many cards come with a little "Site survey" function in the software,
showing the channels that are being blasted and those that have some
peace of mind. They're not terribly accurate, but will give you some
idea of which channels may be a little more free of noise. But since
yours is for home use, just try a channel and see if it works. If not,
change channels.

nemo2

This maybe a bit late:

http://www.netstumbler.com/