Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Phantom file . . .

Phantom file . . .

=.RLM.=

I use EasyCleaner 2.0 and when attempting to delete "unecessary" files,
there is one file that is 2.5G in size (I wondered where that 2G of disk
space was tied up) that I cannot delete. When I go directly to the
folder that it is reported to be in, I find that it is non-existent. I
have my folder settings set to show all files. I am using WindowsXP Home.

Thanks,

RLM

Liz

"=.RLM.=" wrote:

> I use EasyCleaner 2.0 and when attempting to delete "unecessary" files,
> there is one file that is 2.5G in size (I wondered where that 2G of disk
> space was tied up) that I cannot delete. When I go directly to the
> folder that it is reported to be in, I find that it is non-existent. I
> have my folder settings set to show all files. I am using WindowsXP Home.

Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Paul - xxx

=.RLM.= posted ...

> I use EasyCleaner 2.0 and when attempting to delete "unecessary"
> files, there is one file that is 2.5G in size (I wondered where that
> 2G of disk space was tied up) that I cannot delete. When I go
> directly to the folder that it is reported to be in, I find that it
> is non-existent. I have my folder settings set to show all files. I
> am using WindowsXP Home.

My Sony Vaio laptop has a similar 'anomaly' on the 'D:' drive .. it's a
hidden partition / file used in the system restore process, maybe this is
what you also have, or something similar.

It _can_ be deleted, but it's possible that it is a necessary addition if
you ever want to restore your system to it's original state. In my case,
with the Sony, I need to re-partition to retrieve the space and simply can't
be bothered while I still have plenty other free space available for what I
do ...

--
Paul

=.RLM.=

That didn't work either.

The name of the file, which is in my documents and settings:
[Temporary Internet Files\ContentIE5\index.dat] 2621440 (file size)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

RLM

Liz wrote:

> "=.RLM.=" wrote:
>

>>I use EasyCleaner 2.0 and when attempting to delete "unecessary" files,
>>there is one file that is 2.5G in size (I wondered where that 2G of disk
>>space was tied up) that I cannot delete. When I go directly to the
>>folder that it is reported to be in, I find that it is non-existent. I
>>have my folder settings set to show all files. I am using WindowsXP Home.

> Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

Paul - xxx

=.RLM.= posted ...

> That didn't work either.
>
> The name of the file, which is in my documents and settings:
> [Temporary Internet Files\ContentIE5\index.dat] 2621440 (file size)

Internet Options - Temporary Internet File - Delete Files - Delete All
Offline Content ...

--
Paul

Liz

Scroll down to Completely Deleting the Temporary
Internet Files and index.dat
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

"=.RLM.=" wrote:
> That didn't work either.
>
> The name of the file, which is in my documents and settings:
> [Temporary Internet Files\ContentIE5\index.dat] 2621440 (file size)
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> RLM
>
> Liz wrote:
>
> > "=.RLM.=" wrote:
> >

> >>I use EasyCleaner 2.0 and when attempting to delete "unecessary" files,
> >>there is one file that is 2.5G in size (I wondered where that 2G of disk
> >>space was tied up) that I cannot delete. When I go directly to the
> >>folder that it is reported to be in, I find that it is non-existent. I
> >>have my folder settings set to show all files. I am using WindowsXP Home.

> > Also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files".

shadow self

"=.RLM.=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That didn't work either.
>
> The name of the file, which is in my documents and settings:
> [Temporary Internet Files\ContentIE5\index.dat] 2621440 (file size)

er... isn't that 2.5 megbytes, as opposed to gigabytes?

Antec Phantom 500 Power Supply Review at XYZ Computing Silverstrand Front Page News 0 08-23-2005 01:29 AM
Can't get rid of phantom route. Bryan McClendon Cisco 5 09-13-2004 09:55 PM
Phantom folder in path Thomas Scheiderich ASP .Net 0 06-27-2004 03:34 AM
Phantom ports Mark Bryant Cisco 1 04-14-2004 07:10 PM
Phantom space and resize problem. Rod Billett ASP .Net 0 10-24-2003 08:35 PM

Advertisments