Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How Not to Leave a Hard Disk Behind

How Not to Leave a Hard Disk Behind

Lawrence Rottersman

I'm about to upgrade my Pentium 111 to a lV with a big jump in CPU
speed. When I've done upgrades like this in the past I have never been
able to migrate my C partition; instead I'd get the Blue
Screen of... even though I would be working with a DI Image.

I know there is a way to deal with this. Can someone tell me, please, or
steer me to the appropriate documentation? Thanks.

Unk

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:59:39 GMT, Lawrence Rottersman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm about to upgrade my Pentium 111 to a lV with a big jump in CPU
>speed. When I've done upgrades like this in the past I have never been
>able to migrate my C partition; instead I'd get the Blue
>Screen of... even though I would be working with a DI Image.
>
>I know there is a way to deal with this. Can someone tell me, please, or
>steer me to the appropriate documentation? Thanks.

See if it will boot up in the safe mode. If it does, try installing the
motherboard drivers while in the safe mode. I've had some success doing it
this way.

pcbutts1

To go from a P3 to a P4 you need a new motherboard and ram. Using an image
will most likely always cause a blue screen because it has the wrong
drivers. Instead of using an image just delete the enum key in the registry,
switch HD's and let it re-detect everything on boot up.

"Lawrence Rottersman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> I'm about to upgrade my Pentium 111 to a lV with a big jump in CPU
> speed. When I've done upgrades like this in the past I have never been
> able to migrate my C partition; instead I'd get the Blue
> Screen of... even though I would be working with a DI Image.
>
> I know there is a way to deal with this. Can someone tell me, please, or
> steer me to the appropriate documentation? Thanks.

Lawrence Rottersman

In article <kBaGb.17620$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,
> To go from a P3 to a P4 you need a new motherboard and ram. Using an image
> will most likely always cause a blue screen because it has the wrong
> drivers. Instead of using an image just delete the enum key in the registry,
> switch HD's and let it re-detect everything on boot up.

Hi, and thanks. What you say makes sense to me. LarryR