Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > re-can't delete files

re-can't delete files

DaveG

I still can't delete the files in question.
The folder location of them would be this-

C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc

I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at tweakXP
site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
path" not "file in use by another program"

I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the names
are long,about 60 characters each.
When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that is
to say,I don't know how.
Any further advice please?

From Mike

"Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
Close all open programs.
Open TASKMGR.EXE from the Run command or by pressing
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.
Leave Task Manager open.
the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the
command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename>
is the file you wish to delete.
EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.
Close Task Manager."

From Richard-

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1837.aspx
Cannot Delete File Bug - Tweak
For files that you want deleted permanently that are giving you the
"cannot
delete file... in use by another program" message, when they are NOT
in use
by another program:
Let's restart the PC and hit F8 to reach the "Advanced Boot Options"
menu.
From this menu choose "Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt", let it boot and
log in
normally to a local administrator account. Once logged in change
directories
to the location of the file in question. Once here let's use the "del"
command to delete the problem file.
This method prevents the "explorer" shell from starting and "holding
on" to
the file."

From Kendra Kay-

"I found this useful:
To correct this misbehaviour in Windows XP, remove the following
registry
key.
Goto Start>>Run>>Type "regedit" goto
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5F
E6850D
C73E}\InProcServer32] - Delete this key
This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to
file
property queries on these files.
Kendra"

Thanks again

dg-2003

Brian H

DaveG said:

> I still can't delete the files in question.
> The folder location of them would be this-
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
>
> I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at tweakXP
> site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
> contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
> path" not "file in use by another program"
>
> I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the names
> are long,about 60 characters each.
> When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that is
> to say,I don't know how.
> Any further advice please?

Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the 8.3 method.
That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the first 6 letters
followed by ~1
So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1
The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

> From Mike
>
> "Open a Command Prompt window and leave it open.
> Close all open programs.
> Open TASKMGR.EXE from the Run command or by pressing
> CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
> Go to the Processes tab and End Process on Explorer.exe.
> Leave Task Manager open.
> the directory where the undeletable file is located in. At the
> command prompt type DEL <filename> where <filename>
> is the file you wish to delete.
> EXPLORER.EXE to restart the GUI shell.
> Close Task Manager."
>
> From Richard-
>

> http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1837.aspx
> Cannot Delete File Bug - Tweak
> For files that you want deleted permanently that are giving you the
> "cannot
> delete file... in use by another program" message, when they are NOT
> in use
> by another program:
> Let's restart the PC and hit F8 to reach the "Advanced Boot Options"
> menu.
> From this menu choose "Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt", let it boot and
> log in
> normally to a local administrator account. Once logged in change
> directories
> to the location of the file in question. Once here let's use the "del"
> command to delete the problem file.
> This method prevents the "explorer" shell from starting and "holding
> on" to
> the file."
>
> From Kendra Kay-
>
> "I found this useful:
> To correct this misbehaviour in Windows XP, remove the following
> registry
> key.
> Goto Start>>Run>>Type "regedit" goto
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5F
> E6850D
> C73E}\InProcServer32] - Delete this key
> This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to
> file
> property queries on these files.
> Kendra"
>

> Thanks again
>
> dg-2003

Brian H

Brian H said:

> DaveG said:
>
>> I still can't delete the files in question.
>> The folder location of them would be this-
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
>> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
>> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
>>
>> I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at tweakXP
>> site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
>> contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
>> path" not "file in use by another program"
>>
>> I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the names
>> are long,about 60 characters each.
>> When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that is
>> to say,I don't know how.
>> Any further advice please?

> Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the 8.3 method.
> That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the first 6 letters
> followed by ~1
> So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1

Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1

> The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

DaveG

dg-2003

" You think you're God Almighty, but you know what you are? You're a
cheap, lousy, dirty, stinkin' mug! And I'm glad what I done to you, ya
hear that? I'm glad what I done!"

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:wE4Gb.9638$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brian H said:
>
> > DaveG said:
> >
> >> I still can't delete the files in question.
> >> The folder location of them would be this-
> >>
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My

Documents\My
> >> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
> >> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
> >>
> >> I've tried the safe mode booting advice AND further looked at

tweakXP
> >> site,the advice of which may not be relevant as the error message
> >> contains only information regarding the location "specify correct
> >> path" not "file in use by another program"
> >>
> >> I cannot re-name the files in question,there are 4 mp3's and the

names
> >> are long,about 60 characters each.
> >> When I boot in safe mode I can't access the folder and files,that

is
> >> to say,I don't know how.
> >> Any further advice please?

> > Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the

8.3 method.
> > That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the

first 6 letters
> > followed by ~1
> > So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1

> Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1
>
> > The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc

So i got this above to work with AND a 60 character file name?
Could I not delete the folder in the manner you describe?
C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
Music\MP3\Underworld
Thanks.

--

dg-2003

Brian H

DaveG said:

> "Brian H" <> wrote in message
> news:wE4Gb.9638$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Brian H said:

>>> Reboot to "command line only" and navigate to the folder using the 8.3
>>> method. That's to say, in DOS the long file names are truncated to the
>>> first 6 letters followed by ~1
>>> So "C:\Program" Files would be C:\Progra~1

>> Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1
>>
>>> The file "first song in the list.mp3" would be firsts~1.mp3

> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
>
> So i got this above to work with AND a 60 character file name?
> Could I not delete the folder in the manner you describe?
> C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
> Music\MP3\Underworld
> Thanks.

If you are happy to just delete the folder and all it's contents, yes.
So from a command prompt it would be
del c:\docume~1\david~1\mydocu~\mymusi~1\mp3\underw~1
or you can try the long file name to get to underworld as long as you use the
double quotes
del "C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
Music\MP3\Underworld"

Brian H

Brian H said:

> DaveG said:
>

>> "Brian H" <> wrote in message
>> news:wE4Gb.9638$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Sorry, that should have read "C:\Program Files" would be C:\Progra~1

>> C:\Documents and Settings\***** **********(my name)My Documents\My
>> Music\MP3\Underworld\2003 MP3's\the chemical brothers - singles
>> 93-03 - 2cd\the chemical brothers - singles 93-03 bonus disc
>>
>> So i got this above to work with AND a 60 character file name?
>> Could I not delete the folder in the manner you describe?
>> C:\Documents and Settings\DAVID **********\My Documents\My
>> Music\MP3\Underworld
>> Thanks.

> If you are happy to just delete the folder and all it's contents, yes.
> So from a command prompt it would be
> del c:\docume~1\david~1\mydocu~\mymusi~1\mp3\underw~1

Oops, david~1 will need the letter represented by the first * to be placed
between the d and the ~