Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > OverClocking for the first time

OverClocking for the first time

Saddles

"Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > How do I know which
> > sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.

> RTFM
>
> See Hawks' most excellent advice ..
>
> --
> Paul

OK, Ok, I'll go read it. Thanks all.

ICee

Saddles wrote:
> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsj_Fb.1672$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>> Saddles wrote:
>>> I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I
>>> got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to
>>> 2056 with no extra cooling needed. If I concentrate real hard, I
>>> can see a performance difference.
>>>
>>> But there are two things I want to confirm. Over 2056 my onboard
>>> sound card cuts out. Is there really no way around this but to buy
>>> a sound card that can handle it?

>> The problem is that when you increase the FSB, you are also
>> increasing the PCI bus that the audio card (and any other
>> peripheral, including the disk drive) uses. The PCI bus is 1/3 the
>> speed of the FSB or 33 MHz at 100 MHz FSB. By raising the FSB to
>> 114 MHz, you are raising the PCI bus to 38 MHz; 5 MHz out of spec
>> and is high enough to cause damage to your disk drive.
>>

>>> Secondly, I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and associated the
>>> sensors. MotherBoard Monitor didn't have my motherboard listed in
>>> the wizard so it couldn't enter data for my motherboard
>>> automatically. In the Bios the CPU temperature is constantly about
>>> 40C but none of the MotherBoard Monitor sensors tallies with this.
>>> They read 35C, 70C and 64C and I think these are the only three
>>> heat sensor chips on the motherboard. The one which I'm guessing
>>> is the CPU sensor reads 64C and this is way over what one would
>>> want it to be. Which one is correct? How do I get it to read
>>> correcly? How do I know which sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help
>>>
>>> MM

>> Suggest that you do not overclock with your system, especially due to
>> PCI bus running so far out of spec.
>>

> Thanks Icee. I understood about the FSB changed being
> across-the-board. I didn't know that a PCI buss speed of 38MHz was
> enough to damage my disk drive. OK I'll put it back to where it was
> and leave overclocking to you guys.
>
> Photography, huh? OK, I'd try that, but my eye-sight's failing.
> (Thanks Hawk and Bryan, I know you were trying to say the same thing)
>
> Who am I fooling. Between the previous paragraph and this one, I
> just read up 20 more pages on this topic. I'm just curious. I'll
> set it back for now, but I'll be baaaackk.
>
> MM

Because you were talking about a 100 MHz FSB, I assumed (bad thing to
do) you had an older MB, but I see that the AX4B is a current Intel 133
MHz FSB MB.
Don't know what CPU you have; perhaps a Celeron that uses 100 MHz FSB?
(not familiar with newer Intel systems. Am a AMD man myself).

Ask your question with more info, such as CPU, in these NG's:

alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen

Paul - xxx

Saddles posted ...

> "Paul - xxx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> How do I know which
>>> sensor is the CPU temperature sensor.

>> RTFM
>>
>> See Hawks' most excellent advice ..
>>
>> --
>> Paul

> OK, Ok, I'll go read it. Thanks all.

Heheheh ... Have a look here. If you want to have a go at overclocking then
you may need to get a decent motherboard and peripherals that will withstand
it ..

http://www.overclocked-hardware.com/
http://www.overclockers.com/

--
Paul

lyon_wonder

>I'm a first time overclocker. My motherboard is an Aopen Ax4B. I got my FSB up from 100 to 114 carrying my clock speed from 1800 to 2056 with no extra cooling needed.

I have the exact some board you have and have been running a retail P4
2.4A at 2.80GHz for over a month now at 117MHz FSB (can even get it to
run stable at 3.0Ghz, but chose to back off to 2.. I had to change
the ratio for my Crucial PC2100 DDR from the default 133Mhz 4/3 ratio
to a synchronous 1/1 ratio, which is running at the same speed as the
FSB. The intel 845 series chipsets lock the PCI/AGP speed at 33/66MHz
regardless of FSB frequency. Trust the CPU temp reported in the Bios
and only use the Hardware Monitor utility that AOpen supplied on their
driver CD that came with your mainboard (other utilities give
exaggerated CPU temp on this board regardless of clockspeed, and I'm
not the only user of this board who has confirmed this). You can also
enable a PC Heath watch timer in the bios to warn you if the CPU temp
is higher than a specified amount. Also, update your bios to the
latest version at http://english.aopen.com.tw/
Is your P4 a Willamette 256k or one of the newer Northwoods 512k. If
your p4 is a Northwood, it should say 1.8A instead of just 1.8. You
can download the CPUZ CPU id utility from http://www.cpuid.com/ to
find out which version of p4 you have. The Northwoods can overclock
way better than the Willamettes (and a Northwood 1.8A can get up to
2.4GHz at 133MHz easily with stock cooling and default voltage, though
you may have to change your DDR RAM ratio to DDR200 speeds). If your
P4 is a Willamette, around 2.1GHz is probably the limit your CPU can
reach since the fastest Willamette Intel ever came out with was
2.0GHz.