Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How many ports are there?

How many ports are there?

Matthew Morrison

I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they saw
this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

-= Hawk =-

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, "Matthew Morrison"
<(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they saw
>this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
>Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
>with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

www.whatis.com
www.webopedia.com

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Anna

Matthew Morrison <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they

saw
> this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
> Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
> with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

The port numbers are divided into three ranges: the Well Known Ports,
the Registered Ports, and the Dynamic and/or Private Ports.

The Well Known Ports are those from 0 through 1023.

The Registered Ports are those from 1024 through 49151

The Dynamic and/or Private Ports are those from 49152 through 65535

http://www.commandline.net/port1.txt

Matthew Morrison

Thanks!

°Mike°

There are 65,535.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, in
<NlPFb.621850$HS4.4550658@attbi_s01>
Matthew Morrison scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Warwick

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 04:17:50 GMT, Matthew Morrison wrote:

> I know some people may have spit their milk out of their nose when they saw
> this but I was wondering how many ports there are in a PC computer system?
> Are there different ones for different stuff or what? If there is a site
> with this stuff on it could you plz direct me in its direction? TIA

I know that other links have been posted but this is the resource I have
been turning for info.

hth
Warwick

RockLobster RockLobster is offline
Junior Member

there are actually 65,536 ports, the one a lot of people forget to include, is port 0.

K A Siva K A Siva is offline
Junior Member

Hi all,

65, 536 ports refers to the IP ports used for Port Address translation when you are using one IP address to connect to the network as many users...right?

How about ethernet ports? These are in the form of NIC cards that re inbuilt, yes? PLs enlighten me!!

BlackFang171 BlackFang171 is offline
Junior Member

-edit- I just noticed how old this thread is, lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by K A Siva View Post
Hi all,

65, 536 ports refers to the IP ports used for Port Address translation when you are using one IP address to connect to the network as many users...right?

How about ethernet ports? These are in the form of NIC cards that re inbuilt, yes? PLs enlighten me!!

The number of Ethernet ports depends on the machine. Most end user computers have only one NIC, providing one Ethernet port. Laptops will usually have two NICs. One is for WiFi. high end computers will sometimes have a special NIC that uses two ethernet ports and accesses them asynchronously to get a faster network connection (with a good enough router and fast enough connection you can have incredible transfer speeds between computers on the same router or switch, although your connection to the internet for now is limited by the service provider) There are also several other types of physical ports, the number of which is determined by the individual computer. These consist of PS/2, USB, eSATA, 3.5mm audio, SPDIF, optical SPDIF, VGA, HDMI, DVI, D-Sub, and others.