Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > AV Software

AV Software

Mellowed

My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

Brian H¹©

Mellowed said:

> My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
> cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
> opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
> and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
> there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
> consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

AVG is good, eTrust is gooderer.
I don't know if it is still available, but eTrust had a promo offering a free,
fully functional AV, which, although it was aimed at 2003 server, works for 2000
and XP too.

Flying Rat

Mellowed said this...

> My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
> cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
> opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
> and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
> there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
> consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

or my favourite www.free-av.com which has caught 150 viruses in the last
month

FR
--
Are we havin' fun yet?

www.flyingrat.net

Boxington Headmaker

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:4cMFb.8957$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mellowed said:
>
> > My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
> > cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
> > opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
> > and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
> > there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
> > consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

> AVG is good, eTrust is gooderer.
> I don't know if it is still available, but eTrust had a promo offering a

free,
> fully functional AV, which, although it was aimed at 2003 server, works

for 2000
> and XP too.

Which is here:
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Box

Mellowed

This is interesting. Never heard of AntiVir. I can't argue about the
price. I'll download, try it, then if necessary try ETRUST and AVG in
that order.

Thanks,

"Flying Rat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
: Mellowed said this...
: >
: > My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
: > cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
: > opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the
AVG
: > and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
: > there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I
should
: > consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?
:
:
: or my favourite www.free-av.com which has caught 150 viruses in the
last
: month
:
: FR
: --
: Are we havin' fun yet?
:
: www.flyingrat.net

°Mike°

AnitVir is crap. It has *the* worst false positive rate of any
AV product that I have tested -- and it's detection rate stinks,
too.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:32:40 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Mellowed scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

AVG sucks. These are my top three recommendations.

KAV (Kaspersky)
http://www.kaspersky.com/

eZ Antivirus

Sophos
http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:36:26 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Mellowed scrawled:

>My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
>cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
>opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
>and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
>there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
>consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

--
Basic computer maintenance

Nottoman

Seriously, price should not be your top concern when evaluating an AV
program. The dollar amount of damage due to lost time and/or hardware is
high enough to warrant a $25 purchase.

ETrust is the way to go. Grab the free yearly subscription mentioned above
and you'll never regret it.

"Mellowed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> My Norton AV software is up for renewal in mid January. The renewal
> cost is $20 for one year. For the $20, I thought that I would get
> opinions for alternatives. The options that come to mind are the AVG
> and ETRUST products. I am satisfied with the Norton. However, are
> there opinions (silly question) as to other AV packages that I should
> consider?? Is there a preference between AVG and ETRUST?

Neighbor

A renewal for my Norton av software is even a lot more expensive: 55 euro or
more. Therefore I downloaded Antivir, which "Computer!Totaal" states to be a
free and good av program. It can be downloaded from www.free-aqv.com . I'll
give it a trial.
Neighbor

"Mellowed" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Excuse me, I made a mistake! Download from: www.free-av.com.