Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New Internet Shortcut (XP Home)

New Internet Shortcut (XP Home)

bassbag

How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
IE.
TIA
me

°Mike°

In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
bassbag scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

CB

bassbag wrote:
|| How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
|| making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
|| it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
|| shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
|| on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
|| "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
|| file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
|| internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
|| TIA
|| me

Don't use http:\

Only use www.argos.co.uk
This works, also why not just use right click on webpage and send to
desktop as a shortcut

CB
--
Craven Bird News

http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

CB

bassbag wrote:
|| How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
|| making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
|| it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
|| shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
|| on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
|| "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
|| file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
|| internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
|| TIA
|| me

http:\\ ( 2 back-slashes work)

CB
--
Craven Bird News

http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

bassbag

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
> the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
> it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
>

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> bassbag scrawled:
>
> >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
> >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
> >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
> >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
> >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
> >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
> >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
> >IE.
> >TIA
> >me

Thanks .Tried that and there seems to be a file association problem as
the shortcut didnt have IE associated with it and always use this
programme to open this type of file is greyed out..mmm
me

bassbag

In article <bs7h9n$afrlt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> bassbag wrote:
> || How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
> || making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
> || it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
> || shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
> || on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
> || "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
> || file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
> || internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
> || TIA
> || me
>
> Don't use http:\
>
> Only use www.argos.co.uk
> This works, also why not just use right click on webpage and send to
> desktop as a shortcut
>
> CB

Had the same result , however on further examination there seems to be
some file association problems , any ideas how to set default file
assocaitions?
me

Rob

bassbag wrote:
| How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
| making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
| automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
| shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
| on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
| "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the file
| "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet
| url.Hes using XP home and IE.
| TIA
| me

What you describe should work, however there are easier ways.

1. Make the open browser page less than maximised, grab the title bar
and move it down so you can see the desktop. Click the icon at the
beginning of the address line and move it to the desktop.

or

2. Have the favourites pane open then you can add as many as you like to
the desktop using the same method.

or

3. On the menu bar of the open web page, go to FILE > SEND > Shortcut to
desktop.

--
Rob

CB

bassbag wrote:
|| In article <bs7h9n$afrlt$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
|| (E-Mail Removed) says...
||| Don't use http:\
||| Only use www.argos.co.uk
||| This works, also why not just use right click on webpage and send
||| to desktop as a shortcut
||| CB
|| Had the same result , however on further examination there seems to
|| be some file association problems , any ideas how to set default file
|| assocaitions?
|| me

Help it has all info there

CB
--
Craven Bird News

http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

°Mike°

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:59:29 -0000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
bassbag scrawled:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
>> the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
>> it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
>>

>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> bassbag scrawled:
>>
>> >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
>> >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
>> >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
>> >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
>> >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
>> >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
>> >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
>> >IE.
>> >TIA
>> >me

>Thanks .Tried that and there seems to be a file association problem as
>the shortcut didnt have IE associated with it and always use this
>programme to open this type of file is greyed out..mmm
>me

Repair Internet Explorer.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

Basic computer maintenance

bassbag

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
> the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
> it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
>

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> bassbag scrawled:
>
> >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
> >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
> >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
> >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
> >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
> >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
> >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
> >IE.
> >TIA
> >me

Thanks for assistance..it seems a system restore has fixed the file
corruption and it (new internet shortcut) now works as you said it
should.
Thanks again
me