Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Anyone using IBM ViaVoice 10?

Anyone using IBM ViaVoice 10?

Trent C

I've just installed this on my XP Pro machine to run alongside Office 2000
and ZoneAlarm keeps on asking me to allow it to contact the internet and act
as a server. If I click 'yes', Word loads as normal, but if I click 'no' to
any of the many alerts, Word hangs and I have to do an 'end task'.

Anyone else come across a workaround for this? It's really annoying,
especially as I only want to dictate to Word.

TIA

CB

Trent C wrote:
|| I've just installed this on my XP Pro machine to run alongside
|| Office 2000 and ZoneAlarm keeps on asking me to allow it to contact
|| the internet and act as a server. If I click 'yes', Word loads as
|| normal, but if I click 'no' to any of the many alerts, Word hangs
|| and I have to do an 'end task'.
|| Anyone else come across a workaround for this? It's really annoying,
|| especially as I only want to dictate to Word.
|| TIA

No idea! But I use ViaVoice version 9 Millenium edition & I'd never use it
straight into applications especially Word! Use speakpad and then copy to
document easier, faster more accurate IMHO.

CB
--
Craven Bird News

http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Trent C

> || I've just installed this on my XP Pro machine to run alongside
> || Office 2000 and ZoneAlarm keeps on asking me to allow it to contact
> || the internet and act as a server. If I click 'yes', Word loads as
> || normal, but if I click 'no' to any of the many alerts, Word hangs
> || and I have to do an 'end task'.
> || Anyone else come across a workaround for this? It's really annoying,
> || especially as I only want to dictate to Word.
> || TIA
>
> No idea! But I use ViaVoice version 9 Millenium edition & I'd never use it
> straight into applications especially Word! Use speakpad and then copy to
> document easier, faster more accurate IMHO.

Thanks for the input. I'll certainly take your advice on using speakpad
instead of Word, but the internet connection attempts still pop up whenever
I open ViaVoice. Here's the list of them from ZA:
voicepad.exe
engine.exe
speechbar.exe
NavCentral.exe
audmig.exe
userwiz.exe
smart.exe
ewiz.exe
vocab.exe
options.exe
Ten bloody programs! This is ridiculous. The damn thing even tries to
access the internet when I go into the options menu. It's behaving as
though all these functions are based on a web server somewhere, not on my
PC, or is IBM just spying on me? AdAware is coming up blank, but I do
wonder what on earth is going on.

I've emailed ViaVoice tech support for feedback and answers, but it goes
without saying that I've heard nothing from them. Not even the courtesy of
an auto-reply.

CB

Trent C wrote:
||| No idea! But I use ViaVoice version 9 Millenium edition & I'd never
||| use it straight into applications especially Word! Use speakpad and
||| then copy to document easier, faster more accurate IMHO.
|| Thanks for the input. I'll certainly take your advice on using
|| speakpad instead of Word, but the internet connection attempts still
|| pop up whenever I open ViaVoice. Here's the list of them from ZA:
|| voicepad.exe
|| engine.exe
|| speechbar.exe
|| NavCentral.exe
|| audmig.exe
|| userwiz.exe
|| smart.exe
|| ewiz.exe
|| vocab.exe
|| options.exe
|| Ten bloody programs! This is ridiculous. The damn thing even tries
|| to access the internet when I go into the options menu. It's
|| behaving as though all these functions are based on a web server
|| somewhere, not on my PC, or is IBM just spying on me? AdAware is
|| coming up blank, but I do wonder what on earth is going on.
|| I've emailed ViaVoice tech support for feedback and answers, but it
|| goes without saying that I've heard nothing from them. Not even the
|| courtesy of an auto-reply.

Have you registered the programme with IBM? If not that could be the problem
also I'd just let the firewall to Always permit connection or configure it
properly. Not likely to get a virus etc.

I'd say it's a Zone alarm problem to be honest! I don't get these using
millenium & my firewall and version 10 is only a slightly improved speech
engine than 9.

CB