Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pop ups with Outlook Express running only

Pop ups with Outlook Express running only

Raymund Donzdorf

I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I never
had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again. Is there
some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I am playing
spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a virus of some sort?
Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
problems. grin

°Mike°

You should install a firewall, since the messenger service
uses ports 137-139 (NETBIOS), which should be blocked by your
firewall.

To prevent the Messenger service from starting automatically,
open the Services panel by typing...

services.msc /s

....into the Start / Run box.
In the right-hand pane highlight 'Messenger'.
Right click and choose 'Properties'.
Click the 'Stop' button.
From the 'Startup Type' drop down, choose 'Disabled' or 'Manual'.
'Apply / Ok'.

More information:

Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet
Advertisement Appears

Windows Messages
http://www.jmu.edu/computing/security/info/winmsg.shtml

How to stop Messenger SPAM Disable Windows Messenger
Service
http://www.auburn.edu/oit/security/m...erService.html

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows
XP-Based Computer

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...e/stopspam.asp

Disable-Remove Windows Messenger

Firewalls:
------------
Outpost

Sygate
http://soho.sygate.com/products/shield_ov.htm

Zone Alarm
http://www.zonelabs.com/

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:13:17 GMT, in
<xKEFb.9207$(E-Mail Removed). net>
Raymund Donzdorf scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Richard

"Raymund Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsKEFb.9207$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
> those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I never
> had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again. Is there
> some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I am playing
> spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a virus of some

sort?
> Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
> problems. grin

You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
Simplest way is to rename the folder.
You'll find it in "c:\program files".
You still have the program if you want to use it.
I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the options
to totally turn it off when not in use.
Or rename the files so the system can't find it.

°Mike°

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Richard scrawled:

>"Raymund Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsKEFb.9207$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
>> I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
>> those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I never
>> had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again. Is there
>> some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I am playing
>> spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a virus of some

>sort?
>> Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
>> problems. grin
>>

>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
>You still have the program if you want to use it.
>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the options
>to totally turn it off when not in use.
>Or rename the files so the system can't find it.

Same old st00pid advice.

--

°Mike° wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Richard scrawled:

>>"Raymund Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>newsKEFb.9207$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
>>> I am in the helpdesk with Outlook Express only running and I am getting
>>> those annoying popups as I am reading messages. This is something I
>>> never had before. I did recently reinstall my operating system again.
>>>Is there some function I have to disable? These popups even come up as I
>>>am playing spider solitaire while downloading messages. Do I have a
>>>virus of some

>>sort?
>>> Frustrated and ready for the gas pipe, for the scumbags who cause these
>>> problems. grin
>>>

>>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
>>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
>>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
>>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
>>You still have the program if you want to use it.
>>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
>>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the
>>options to totally turn it off when not in use. Or rename the files so

> the system can't find it.

> Same old st00pid advice.

Which happens to work. Since I've renamed my "messenger" folder, no annoying
icon anywhere or popups.
Why is it it's not stoopid advice when others say the same thing?

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Brian H¹©

Richard said:

> °Mike° wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Richard scrawled:

> >>"Raymund Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>newsKEFb.9207$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> >>sort?
> >>>

> >>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
> >>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
> >>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
> >>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
> >>You still have the program if you want to use it.
> >>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
> >>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the
> >>options to totally turn it off when not in use. Or rename the files so

>> the system can't find it.

> > Same old st00pid advice.

> Which happens to work. Since I've renamed my "messenger" folder, no annoying
> icon anywhere or popups.
> Why is it it's not stoopid advice when others say the same thing?

It is, but it's even stoopider when it comes from you, because you just say the
same thing all the time without finding better solutions.

°Mike°

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:38:36 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Richard scrawled:

> °Mike° wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:08:00 -0600, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Richard scrawled:

> >>"Raymund Donzdorf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>newsKEFb.9207$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> >>sort?
> >>>

> >>You have "instant messenger" installed and functional.
> >>If you don't use messenger, turn the blasted thing off permanently.
> >>Simplest way is to rename the folder.
> >>You'll find it in "c:\program files".
> >>You still have the program if you want to use it.
> >>I have my folder renamed and the damn stuff never appears on my system.
> >>If you have any other "messenger" program, you should go through the
> >>options to totally turn it off when not in use. Or rename the files so

>> the system can't find it.

> > Same old st00pid advice.

>Which happens to work. Since I've renamed my "messenger" folder, no annoying
>icon anywhere or popups.
>Why is it it's not stoopid advice when others say the same thing?

It's stoopid advice because; (a) it comes from you; (b) the is absolutely no need
to rename the folder, or file; (c) your stoopid advice may give other clueless
morons the idea that searching for things, willy nilly, and renaming or deleting
them is ok. It is NOT. It is dangerous advice, so please stop giving it.

--
Basic computer maintenance