Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE History won't completely delete

IE History won't completely delete

Moke G

When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.

Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or so
websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many months.

The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual manner (clear
history in IE options).

Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so items stubbornly refuse to be wiped out
and keep on appearing in the IE address line whenever I press 'w' ?

Apologies if this has come up before.

Cheers,

Moke G.

JesterDev

Moke G wrote:

> When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
> whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.
>
> Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or so
> websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many months.
>
> The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual manner (clear
> history in IE options).
>
> Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so items stubbornly refuse to be wiped out
> and keep on appearing in the IE address line whenever I press 'w' ?
>
> Apologies if this has come up before.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Moke G.

Must be spyware. I remember there being a decent spyware program for
windows.. Sorry I'm normally a linux user just visiting XP for a short
while. Anyway I suggest you download some spyware remover software, AND
find out where on your hard drive these files are kept. Go there and
delete them directly.

HTH,
JesterDev

°Mike°

Close IE, go to Control Panel / Internet Options and 'Clear History'.
Go to the 'Content' tab, press 'Autocomplete' and 'Clear Forms'.
You can remove autocomplete while you are there, if you wish.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:21:42 -0000, in
<qjuFb.8284$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Moke G" <(E-Mail Removed) .net> scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Moke G

Hi Jester -- I've got so much Spyware protection on my computer, you
wouldn't believe it. I have installed and regularly use and update the
following protection software :

ZoneAlarm firewall
Norton AV
AdAware
SpyBot
SpyWareBlaster

I reckon if that lot can't stop nasty things getting into my computer, then
nothing will !

Cheers,

Moke G.

"JesterDev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Moke G wrote:
>
> > When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
> > whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.
> >
> > Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or

so
> > websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many months.
> >
> > The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual manner

(clear
> > history in IE options).
> >
> > Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so items stubbornly refuse to be wiped

out
> > and keep on appearing in the IE address line whenever I press 'w' ?
> >
> > Apologies if this has come up before.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> > Moke G.
> >

> Must be spyware. I remember there being a decent spyware program for
> windows.. Sorry I'm normally a linux user just visiting XP for a short
> while. Anyway I suggest you download some spyware remover software, AND
> find out where on your hard drive these files are kept. Go there and
> delete them directly.
>
> HTH,
> JesterDev

Moke G

Thanks Mike -- your suggestions have done the trick. I have left all 3 boxes
unticked (web addresses/forms (whatever they are !)/user names and passwords
on forms).

Cheers

Moke G.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Close IE, go to Control Panel / Internet Options and 'Clear History'.
> Go to the 'Content' tab, press 'Autocomplete' and 'Clear Forms'.
> You can remove autocomplete while you are there, if you wish.
>

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:21:42 -0000, in
> <qjuFb.8284$(E-Mail Removed)>
> "Moke G" <(E-Mail Removed) .net> scrawled:
>
> >When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
> >whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.
> >
> >Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or so
> >websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many months.
> >
> >The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual manner

(clear
> >history in IE options).
> >
> >Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so items stubbornly refuse to be wiped

out
> >and keep on appearing in the IE address line whenever I press 'w' ?
> >
> >Apologies if this has come up before.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >

> >Moke G.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:43:34 -0000, in
<YDuFb.8291$(E-Mail Removed)>
"Moke G" <(E-Mail Removed) .net> scrawled:

>Thanks Mike -- your suggestions have done the trick. I have left all 3 boxes
>unticked (web addresses/forms (whatever they are !)/user names and passwords
>on forms).
>
>Cheers
>

>Moke G.

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Close IE, go to Control Panel / Internet Options and 'Clear History'.
>> Go to the 'Content' tab, press 'Autocomplete' and 'Clear Forms'.
>> You can remove autocomplete while you are there, if you wish.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Richard

JesterDev wrote:

> Moke G wrote:

>> When I open up IE (Win XP Home), there are about 15 items that appear
>> whenever I press the first 'w' of any website that I wish to visit.
>>
>> Any new sites that I visit CAN be deleted however, but not these 15 or
>> so websites that have appeared now in the IE address box for many
>>months. The history of recently visited sites I delete OK in the usual
>>manner (clear history in IE options). Anyone any ideas why these 15 or so
>>items stubbornly refuse to be wiped out and keep on appearing in the IE
>>address line whenever I press 'w' ? Apologies if this has come up before.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

>> Moke G.
>>

> Must be spyware. I remember there being a decent spyware program for
> windows.. Sorry I'm normally a linux user just visiting XP for a short
> while. Anyway I suggest you download some spyware remover software, AND
> find out where on your hard drive these files are kept. Go there and
> delete them directly.

> HTH,
> JesterDev

It's part of autocomplete which has nothing to do with history.
spyware won't do any good.

Srinivas bodigum

Please try these steps

In Internet explorer, click on Tools->Internet options.
Then click on Content Tab-> Auto Complete.
Uncheck the option 'Web Addresses'.
Also Uncheck Forms.
Then Click on 'Clear forms'.

Then Click on Apply->Ok.