Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WIN XP Pro shut down help please

WIN XP Pro shut down help please

Ninip

Hi
I hope someone can help me with this.
I have Win XP Pro
When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and on
the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.

What is wrong and how do I fix it?

My old computer Win 98... You clicked shutdown and the whole thing would
power off.

The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.

Ionizer

"Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hi
> I hope someone can help me with this.
> I have Win XP Pro
> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and

on
> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
>
> What is wrong and how do I fix it?

Your problem is addressed on this page:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

HTH,
Ian.

h2so4

"Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Hi
> I hope someone can help me with this.
> I have Win XP Pro
> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and

on
> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
>
> What is wrong and how do I fix it?
>
> My old computer Win 98... You clicked shutdown and the whole thing would
> power off.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

> The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.

You have a file missing. I had a similar problem six months ago and I found
a fix on the Microsoft knowledge base. You might even find this fix by
trying a google search.

M Mullen

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:08:37 GMT, "Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Hi
|> I hope someone can help me with this.
|> I have Win XP Pro
|> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and on
|> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
|> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
|>
|> What is wrong and how do I fix it?
|>
|> My old computer Win 98... You clicked shutdown and the whole thing would
|> power off.
|>
|> Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
|>
|> --

That's the way it's supposed to work.
you have three shutdown options:
Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
Restart will shutdown and reboot your computer, restarting your OS
--
,,
( "> w

why?

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:27:54 -0800, M Mullen wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:08:37 GMT, "Ninip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>|> Hi
>|> I hope someone can help me with this.
>|> I have Win XP Pro
>|> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then stops and on
>|> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
>|> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it off.
>|>
>|> What is wrong and how do I fix it?

<snip>

>That's the way it's supposed to work.
>you have three shutdown options:
>Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
>ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

Not always,
XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power off)
a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
system.

<snip>

Me

Shel-hed

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:07:14 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:27:54 -0800, M Mullen wrote:
><snip>
>

>>That's the way it's supposed to work.
>>you have three shutdown options:
>>Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
>>ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

>Not always,
>XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power off)
>a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
>system.
>
><snip>

That's the way my old grunty 98se system works too. Of course, I have the Remote
CraniumReader-O-Matic (USB version) aimed at my skull, so my 'pooter probably knows
what I want anyway.