Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Remote Control/PC Anywhere

Remote Control/PC Anywhere

GC

I'm going overseas in about a week...
There may be times during my time overseas that I need to access my computer
at home. I'm used to using PC Anywhere, but as I will be using computers in
Cafe's etc where I can't install software, I need another way of doing
it....
Is there any software that I can install on my home PC that would allow my
computer to be controlled via a web browser somehow? Ofcourse I'd need
passwords in stuff to reduce the chances of hackers.

Thanks
P.S. My computer at home is Win 2K, don't know what the other ones are
going to be.

Brian H

GC said:

> I'm going overseas in about a week...
> There may be times during my time overseas that I need to access my computer
> at home. I'm used to using PC Anywhere, but as I will be using computers in
> Cafe's etc where I can't install software, I need another way of doing
> it....
> Is there any software that I can install on my home PC that would allow my
> computer to be controlled via a web browser somehow? Ofcourse I'd need
> passwords in stuff to reduce the chances of hackers.
>
> Thanks
> P.S. My computer at home is Win 2K, don't know what the other ones are
> going to be.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oe=UTF-8&q=vnc

All you need to take with you, can fit on a floppy.

John Lewis

You need to check out www.tightvnc.com . There are other variations of the
VNC core software, but that is the one I like.

Primarily, VNC is a client/server type remote access software, but it also
includes a http server that can be accessed from any java capable web
browser. The browser is not my preferred means of access, but it does work
rather well. You would simply point the browser to
http://YourDomainorIP:5800/.

You will need some way of finding your IP, try a dynamic DNS service if you
have a dynamic IP. www.dyndns.org is one, there are others so you may want
to google. If you have a NAT router, of course you will need to forward the
appropriate port to the machine you wish to control. You can control
multiple machines by configuring each to listen on different ports. Also be
sure to run the server as a service, not in app mode.

Now for the bad side. Security is not that great. The password used is
sent as a challenge/response, so your acutal password is not sent across the
internet. Keystrokes typed in the viewer are sent across the net as
plaintext, so if you type a password (maybe your login password), it could
be grabbed. Normally, I would suggest to run VNC across a VPN or SSH
connection, but I don't see a way to do that in the situation you describe.
Also there is at least one password cracker for VNC on the net, but it uses
a brute force dictionary based attack, so choosing a good password helps
there.

Although it doesn't sound too good at this point, I think it is as good as
any other option you would have without installing software on the client
computer.
news:bs45e7$c14$(E-Mail Removed)...