Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Image Display Problem w/ Dell 4100 PC

Image Display Problem w/ Dell 4100 PC

Mike

At work we have a Dell 4100 PC, W98SE, nVidia 32 Dell video adapter. The
image on the monitor is washed out, very low contrast,
with significant horizontal streaking in the image. I entered the 4100's
express service code at the dell support site
but it didn't recognize the service code. no kidding. This is the first
time this as happened to me. Next, I searched the Dell support site for
video drivers for the 4100 and found the appropriate nVidia video driver.
After installing it the on screen image had a
little more color, but still displayed the same washed out colors, lows
contrast, horizontal streaking. Swapped monitor and still the same video
problems.
RFemoved/reseated the video adapter. Any suggestions how I might fix this
problem? I've seen it before on Win98SE PCs.

About a six months ago, I removed an OEM ATI N625 video adapter from a Dell
Optiplex 260 or 270.
If I could find drivers for the card I'll remove the NVidia card from the
Dell 4100 and see if makes a difference.
How can I locate drivers for the ATI card?

Thanks,

Mike

Unk

Right-click the desktop, Properties, Settings tab, Advanced Button, and
click the tab for the Nvidia card. It has extensive settings. Maybe one
will help. Look for the one with "Color Correction"

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:07:55 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At work we have a Dell 4100 PC, W98SE, nVidia 32 Dell video adapter. The
>image on the monitor is washed out, very low contrast,
>with significant horizontal streaking in the image. I entered the 4100's
>express service code at the dell support site
>but it didn't recognize the service code. no kidding. This is the first
>time this as happened to me. Next, I searched the Dell support site for
>video drivers for the 4100 and found the appropriate nVidia video driver.
>After installing it the on screen image had a
>little more color, but still displayed the same washed out colors, lows
>contrast, horizontal streaking. Swapped monitor and still the same video
>problems.
>RFemoved/reseated the video adapter. Any suggestions how I might fix this
>problem? I've seen it before on Win98SE PCs.
>
>About a six months ago, I removed an OEM ATI N625 video adapter from a Dell
>Optiplex 260 or 270.
>If I could find drivers for the card I'll remove the NVidia card from the
>Dell 4100 and see if makes a difference.
>How can I locate drivers for the ATI card?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Mike

good point. I did the advanced, but didn't modify the "color correction"
I'll try it.

Mike

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Right-click the desktop, Properties, Settings tab, Advanced Button, and
> click the tab for the Nvidia card. It has extensive settings. Maybe one
> will help. Look for the one with "Color Correction"
>

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:07:55 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >At work we have a Dell 4100 PC, W98SE, nVidia 32 Dell video adapter. The
> >image on the monitor is washed out, very low contrast,
> >with significant horizontal streaking in the image. I entered the 4100's
> >express service code at the dell support site
> >but it didn't recognize the service code. no kidding. This is the first
> >time this as happened to me. Next, I searched the Dell support site for
> >video drivers for the 4100 and found the appropriate nVidia video driver.
> >After installing it the on screen image had a
> >little more color, but still displayed the same washed out colors, lows
> >contrast, horizontal streaking. Swapped monitor and still the same video
> >problems.
> >RFemoved/reseated the video adapter. Any suggestions how I might fix

this
> >problem? I've seen it before on Win98SE PCs.
> >
> >About a six months ago, I removed an OEM ATI N625 video adapter from a

Dell
> >Optiplex 260 or 270.
> >If I could find drivers for the card I'll remove the NVidia card from the
> >Dell 4100 and see if makes a difference.
> >How can I locate drivers for the ATI card?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mike

Unk

A search at http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html shows the 625 as a
RADEON LE. http://www.ati.com/support/products/...adeonle.html#1
If that's the case, they have the drivers available here:
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...x=8&submit.y=7

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:07:55 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>At work we have a Dell 4100 PC, W98SE, nVidia 32 Dell video adapter. The
>image on the monitor is washed out, very low contrast,
>with significant horizontal streaking in the image. I entered the 4100's
>express service code at the dell support site
>but it didn't recognize the service code. no kidding. This is the first
>time this as happened to me. Next, I searched the Dell support site for
>video drivers for the 4100 and found the appropriate nVidia video driver.
>After installing it the on screen image had a
>little more color, but still displayed the same washed out colors, lows
>contrast, horizontal streaking. Swapped monitor and still the same video
>problems.
>RFemoved/reseated the video adapter. Any suggestions how I might fix this
>problem? I've seen it before on Win98SE PCs.
>
>About a six months ago, I removed an OEM ATI N625 video adapter from a Dell
>Optiplex 260 or 270.
>If I could find drivers for the card I'll remove the NVidia card from the
>Dell 4100 and see if makes a difference.
>How can I locate drivers for the ATI card?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mike

Mike

Found on the video card's ciruit board:

ATI RAGE 128 Ultra

At least it appears to be RAGE. Not enought room for RADEON.
I'll revist the ATI site.

I d/l the drivers and will try it today or tomorrow.

Mike
"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A search at http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html shows the 625 as a
> RADEON LE. http://www.ati.com/support/products/...adeonle.html#1
> If that's the case, they have the drivers available here:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/w...x=8&submit.y=7

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:07:55 GMT, "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >At work we have a Dell 4100 PC, W98SE, nVidia 32 Dell video adapter. The
> >image on the monitor is washed out, very low contrast,
> >with significant horizontal streaking in the image. I entered the 4100's
> >express service code at the dell support site
> >but it didn't recognize the service code. no kidding. This is the first
> >time this as happened to me. Next, I searched the Dell support site for
> >video drivers for the 4100 and found the appropriate nVidia video driver.
> >After installing it the on screen image had a
> >little more color, but still displayed the same washed out colors, lows
> >contrast, horizontal streaking. Swapped monitor and still the same video
> >problems.
> >RFemoved/reseated the video adapter. Any suggestions how I might fix

this
> >problem? I've seen it before on Win98SE PCs.
> >
> >About a six months ago, I removed an OEM ATI N625 video adapter from a

Dell
> >Optiplex 260 or 270.
> >If I could find drivers for the card I'll remove the NVidia card from the
> >Dell 4100 and see if makes a difference.
> >How can I locate drivers for the ATI card?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Mike

ronniehubbard ronniehubbard is offline
Junior Member

hi,

u can try some driver updater app. like Driver Detective, Driver Agent or Advanced Driver Optimizer they will get you the latest updates 4 ur drivers so u dnt hve to search them.

u can try dere trial version to see if dey show updates. I prefer Advanced driver optimizer as with it I hve to just scan n update all my drivers in single click.