Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Power Supply or Motherboard Knackered.

Power Supply or Motherboard Knackered.

Chris

I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a more
mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of time
simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the thought
of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might be
dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
"turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone else
had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

°Mike°

Maybe it's the mechanical gremlins, eh? They don't need no stinkin'
details to phark up your system.

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:07:28 +0000 (UTC), in
<bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)>
Chris scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Steven Pilbeam

news:bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
> necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a

more
> mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of

time
> simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the

thought
> of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might

be
> dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
> "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it,

anyone else
> had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
> happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

CPU may be overheating

Chris

I dont think its on long enough to overheat, plus the fans working.
thanks for that anyway.

"Steven Pilbeam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs1enn$muq$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
> > necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a

> more
> > mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of

> time
> > simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the

> thought
> > of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might

> be
> > dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
> > "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it,

> anyone else
> > had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
> > happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.
> >

> CPU may be overheating

CB

news:bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)
|| I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
|| necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's
|| a more mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random
|| amounts of time simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a
|| virus... no, then the thought of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me
|| that the power supply unit might be dodgy. Made sure all wires were
|| firmly pressed in, but still it simply "turns off". Before I sling
|| it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone else had a similar
|| experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things happen to
|| ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

Well this is tricky! What's the random amount of time? minutes, hours.

I'd check in the the BIOS as well and use the default settings.Are you sure
that there aren't any loose electrical connections?
As for a dodgy power supply the only way is either to test it, not easy if
you don't have the necessary tools or plug a known good one to the MoBo.

Why not download Aida32 a diagnostics programme run it on the machine & see
if it finds anything?

Not much help sorry!

CB
--
Craven and District Bird News
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

marcus booth

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem................it was the power supply,
everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put everything into
another computer & went through a process of elimination.

The power supply would work ok sometimes for an hour, other it would for
just 30mins before it cut out & restarted............the fan in the power
supply unit would slow down also as the cut out began...........this is what
led me to believe it was the psu & nothing else.

I had 3 new power supply units all of different wattages before i got one to
work ok. I had a 500,350 & a 300 watt psu all showed the same problem, it
was only when i took my system into a pc shop & had it bench tested were my
suspicions confirmed, i now have a 400watt psu & all works ok.

Hope this helps, & good luck.

Marcus
news:bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
> necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a

more
> mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of time
> simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the thought
> of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might be
> dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
> "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone

else
> had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
> happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.

---
When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

---
When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

Ghostmaster

"marcus booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs1hdq$io9$(E-Mail Removed)...
: Hi,
:
: I had exactly the same problem................it was the power supply,
: everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put everything
into
: another computer & went through a process of elimination.

Yup its the power supply. Your fans will work even if the power supply is
bad.

Chris

Hi Marcus, thats a great help. Could you tell me if the three you tried
exhibited the same problem? I dont understand why 3 should repeat the fault
if the problem lay with one that was kaput?

"marcus booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs1hdq$io9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I had exactly the same problem................it was the power supply,
> everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put everything

into
> another computer & went through a process of elimination.
>
> The power supply would work ok sometimes for an hour, other it would for
> just 30mins before it cut out & restarted............the fan in the power
> supply unit would slow down also as the cut out began...........this is

what
> led me to believe it was the psu & nothing else.
>
> I had 3 new power supply units all of different wattages before i got one

> work ok. I had a 500,350 & a 300 watt psu all showed the same problem, it
> was only when i took my system into a pc shop & had it bench tested were

my
> suspicions confirmed, i now have a 400watt psu & all works ok.
>
> Hope this helps, & good luck.
>
> Marcus
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm running an old (4 years) computer for my kids. I dont think it's
> > necessary to put all the details of it because I have a feeling it's a

> more
> > mechanical problem. The computer boots up and after random amounts of

time
> > simply cuts out. At first I thought it was a virus... no, then the

thought
> > of faulty wiring, no! It seems to me that the power supply unit might be
> > dodgy. Made sure all wires were firmly pressed in, but still it simply
> > "turns off". Before I sling it or pay for someone to look at it, anyone

> else
> > had a similar experience? I dont want to waste money if similar things
> > happen to ageing motherboards. PS the fans ok.
> >

> ---
> When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.
>

> ---
> When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

CB

news:bs1kue$5qt$(E-Mail Removed)
|| Hi Marcus, thats a great help. Could you tell me if the three you
|| tried exhibited the same problem? I dont understand why 3 should
|| repeat the fault if the problem lay with one that was kaput?
|| "marcus booth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| news:bs1hdq$io9$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| Hi,
||| I had exactly the same problem................it was the power
||| supply, everyone said it was the motherboard, memory etc, but i put
||| everything into another computer & went through a process of
||| elimination.
||| The power supply would work ok sometimes for an hour, other it
||| would for just 30mins before it cut out & restarted............the
||| fan in the power supply unit would slow down also as the cut out
||| began...........this is what led me to believe it was the psu &
||| nothing else.
||| I had 3 new power supply units all of different wattages before i
||| got one to work ok. I had a 500,350 & a 300 watt psu all showed the
||| same problem, it was only when i took my system into a pc shop &
||| had it bench tested were my suspicions confirmed, i now have a
||| 400watt psu & all works ok.
||| Hope this helps, & good luck.
||| Marcus
||| "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
||| news:bs1e1v$q6c$(E-Mail Removed)...
||| ---
||| When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.
||| ---
||| When you've had enough wine woman, & song.....stop singing.

Nor do I!

--
Craven and District Bird News
http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

Chris

Well chaps, thanks a lot. It's up in the loft. Can't be bothered until after
Chrimbo now. Theres only one thing worse than having a knackered computer
lying around and thats a knackered car.!!!