Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 2000

Windows 2000

Sticks

Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
need to upgrade my CPU?
Need advice! Thanks

°Mike°

The operating system will run, but you need to think about what you
will be doing, once it's installed. I suggest you upgrade.

System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...qs/default.asp

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:46:11 -0600, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Sticks scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/inst...ofessional.htm

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:46:11 -0600, "Sticks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
>need to upgrade my CPU?
>Need advice! Thanks

Bebop & Rocksteady

> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
> need to upgrade my CPU?

Should run ok (does on mine) but make sure you have heaps ram and hdd space

FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

Réjean Dutil

At works, the minimum system used with Windows 2000 Professional is Pentium
II with 128 Mo RAM.

Rejean

"Sticks" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
> need to upgrade my CPU?
> Need advice! Thanks

Billh

I can tell you from doing it that it will work. I work at a school that
does not have much money we get a lot of our computers from companies as
donations. Meaning right before they throw them in the dumpster they call
us. The last batch had Pentium 166-333. I put Windows 2k on anything
better than a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of memory and a 2.3 gig hard drive.
I found that with a basic install of W2k and Office XP they ran ok.
Remember I am replacing other donated Pentium 100-166's so this is an
improvement.

The 200's with 128-256 megs faired better but I was surprised by a set of
Dell 233's with 64 megs that ran W2k very well. The Pentium II at 300 and
333 all did well but they had 128-256 megs.

So if you upgrade anything the memory would be your best bet.

"Sticks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
> need to upgrade my CPU?
> Need advice! Thanks

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:06:31 -0500, "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Sticks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will I
>> need to upgrade my CPU?
>> Need advice! Thanks

>I can tell you from doing it that it will work. I work at a school that
>does not have much money we get a lot of our computers from companies as
>donations. Meaning right before they throw them in the dumpster they call
>us. The last batch had Pentium 166-333. I put Windows 2k on anything
>better than a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of memory and a 2.3 gig hard drive.
>I found that with a basic install of W2k and Office XP they ran ok.
>Remember I am replacing other donated Pentium 100-166's so this is an
>improvement.
>
>The 200's with 128-256 megs faired better but I was surprised by a set of
>Dell 233's with 64 megs that ran W2k very well. The Pentium II at 300 and
>333 all did well but they had 128-256 megs.
>
>So if you upgrade anything the memory would be your best bet.

You may be amused to know that I have Windows 95B running on a 386SX/25
notebook which has 4 megs RAM and a 500 meg HD.

-Barry
========

Billh

"Barry OGrady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 22:06:31 -0500, "Billh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Sticks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Can I run a Windows 2000 program using a Pentium II. processor, or will

> >> need to upgrade my CPU?
> >> Need advice! Thanks

> >I can tell you from doing it that it will work. I work at a school that
> >does not have much money we get a lot of our computers from companies as
> >donations. Meaning right before they throw them in the dumpster they

call
> >us. The last batch had Pentium 166-333. I put Windows 2k on anything
> >better than a Pentium 200 with 64 megs of memory and a 2.3 gig hard

drive.
> >I found that with a basic install of W2k and Office XP they ran ok.
> >Remember I am replacing other donated Pentium 100-166's so this is an
> >improvement.
> >
> >The 200's with 128-256 megs faired better but I was surprised by a set of
> >Dell 233's with 64 megs that ran W2k very well. The Pentium II at 300

and
> >333 all did well but they had 128-256 megs.
> >
> >So if you upgrade anything the memory would be your best bet.

> You may be amused to know that I have Windows 95B running on a 386SX/25
> notebook which has 4 megs RAM and a 500 meg HD.
>

> -Barry
> ========
> Web page: http://members.optusnet.com.au/~barry.og
> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

That would seam to beat me. I have never tried 95 on a 386 never mind 4
megs. I did not even like it on a P-75 with 16 megs and a 840 meg HD. But
I had office 2000 running as well that slowed it down.

But I did experience the pain of installing W95 via floppies. We were give
two note books P-166 32 megs. But no cd-rom only an add on floppy drive.