Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > advice on NOS for classroom

advice on NOS for classroom

fros

Can you advise me whether to go with a client/server, or domain based OS,
considering the scenario below.

I have been asked by my wife (a high school math/computer teacher) to help
her network an assortment of donated windows machines in their small
computer lab classroom.

I'll see that there is an NIC card & driver in each computer and use
standard cat 5 to cable them to a hub with sufficient ports (presently there
are about 8 computers but they may expand in the future to maybe 15). Then
bind them to the correct protocol/s - Tcp/ip and Netbeui or ?, Client for MS
Networks, File & Printer sharing.

Problem is they dont want a simple peer to peer because the kids mess with
all the settings and leave the hd in a jumble. It's out of control.
Ideally the teacher has full control:
1. -To provide/prohibit access at each workstation.
-To determine which programs are loaded.
-To clean & restore the drive when the day is done

2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students on
their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or doing
a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson from
their desks rather than gathering around her screen.
- Control where they can store their data files, or perhaps they don't,
and have to save them to floppies or cd?

3. At this time, Internet access is not a priority. Although I'd prefer to
incorporate it into the planning. Not sure how,but maybe from the hub to a
standalone router which will be connected to the telephone or cable feed
into the building.

Thank you for your anticipated assistance,
Frank

--
newsgroups signature

pcbutts1

You need a Active Directory Domain. Use Windows 2000.

"fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsRsEb.19009$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Can you advise me whether to go with a client/server, or domain based OS,
> considering the scenario below.
>
> I have been asked by my wife (a high school math/computer teacher) to help
> her network an assortment of donated windows machines in their small
> computer lab classroom.
>
> I'll see that there is an NIC card & driver in each computer and use
> standard cat 5 to cable them to a hub with sufficient ports (presently

there
> are about 8 computers but they may expand in the future to maybe 15). Then
> bind them to the correct protocol/s - Tcp/ip and Netbeui or ?, Client for

MS
> Networks, File & Printer sharing.
>
> Problem is they dont want a simple peer to peer because the kids mess with
> all the settings and leave the hd in a jumble. It's out of control.
> Ideally the teacher has full control:
> 1. -To provide/prohibit access at each workstation.
> -To determine which programs are loaded.
> -To clean & restore the drive when the day is done
>
> 2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students on
> their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or

doing
> a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson

from
> their desks rather than gathering around her screen.
> - Control where they can store their data files, or perhaps they

don't,
> and have to save them to floppies or cd?
>
> 3. At this time, Internet access is not a priority. Although I'd prefer to
> incorporate it into the planning. Not sure how,but maybe from the hub to a
> standalone router which will be connected to the telephone or cable feed
> into the building.
>
> Thank you for your anticipated assistance,
> Frank
>

> --
> newsgroups signature

fros

Is the described scenario only available on windows 2000 server - or does
windows 2000 pro also facilitate it ?
thanks

> You need a Active Directory Domain. Use Windows 2000.

> > Can you advise me whether to go with a client/server, or domain based

OS,
> > considering the scenario below.
> >
> > I have been asked by my wife (a high school math/computer teacher) to

help
> > her network an assortment of donated windows machines in their small
> > computer lab classroom.
> >
> > I'll see that there is an NIC card & driver in each computer and use
> > standard cat 5 to cable them to a hub with sufficient ports (presently

> there
> > are about 8 computers but they may expand in the future to maybe 15).

Then
> > bind them to the correct protocol/s - Tcp/ip and Netbeui or ?, Client

for
> MS
> > Networks, File & Printer sharing.
> >
> > Problem is they dont want a simple peer to peer because the kids mess

with
> > all the settings and leave the hd in a jumble. It's out of control.
> > Ideally the teacher has full control:
> > 1. -To provide/prohibit access at each workstation.
> > -To determine which programs are loaded.
> > -To clean & restore the drive when the day is done
> >
> > 2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students

on
> > their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or

> doing
> > a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson

> from
> > their desks rather than gathering around her screen.
> > - Control where they can store their data files, or perhaps they

> don't,
> > and have to save them to floppies or cd?
> >
> > 3. At this time, Internet access is not a priority. Although I'd prefer

> > incorporate it into the planning. Not sure how,but maybe from the hub to

> > standalone router which will be connected to the telephone or cable feed
> > into the building.
> >
> > Thank you for your anticipated assistance,
> > Frank
> >

> > --
> > newsgroups signature

pcbutts1

You need 2000 server. The control that you are talking about cannot be done
with 2000 pro. Just one machine needs 2000 server the rest can be pro.

news:ctCEb.20773$(E-Mail Removed) ...

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >

> ================================================== =========
>
> > > Can you advise me whether to go with a client/server, or domain based

> OS,
> > > considering the scenario below.
> > >
> > > I have been asked by my wife (a high school math/computer teacher) to

> help
> > > her network an assortment of donated windows machines in their small
> > > computer lab classroom.
> > >
> > > I'll see that there is an NIC card & driver in each computer and use
> > > standard cat 5 to cable them to a hub with sufficient ports (presently

> > there
> > > are about 8 computers but they may expand in the future to maybe 15).

> Then
> > > bind them to the correct protocol/s - Tcp/ip and Netbeui or ?, Client

> for
> > MS
> > > Networks, File & Printer sharing.
> > >
> > > Problem is they dont want a simple peer to peer because the kids mess

> with
> > > all the settings and leave the hd in a jumble. It's out of control.
> > > Ideally the teacher has full control:
> > > 1. -To provide/prohibit access at each workstation.
> > > -To determine which programs are loaded.
> > > -To clean & restore the drive when the day is done
> > >
> > > 2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students

> on
> > > their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or

> > doing
> > > a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson

> > from
> > > their desks rather than gathering around her screen.
> > > - Control where they can store their data files, or perhaps they

> > don't,
> > > and have to save them to floppies or cd?
> > >
> > > 3. At this time, Internet access is not a priority. Although I'd

prefer
> > > incorporate it into the planning. Not sure how,but maybe from the hub

> > > standalone router which will be connected to the telephone or cable

feed
> > > into the building.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your anticipated assistance,
> > > Frank
> > >

> > > --
> > > newsgroups signature

fros

ok so the server must run 2000 server and all the workstations Must be
2000(pro) too - none can run 95/98/mE - correct ?

> You need 2000 server. The control that you are talking about cannot be

done
> with 2000 pro. Just one machine needs 2000 server the rest can be pro.

> "fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ctCEb.20773$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > Is the described scenario only available on windows 2000 server - or

does
> > windows 2000 pro also facilitate it ?
> > thanks

> > > You need a Active Directory Domain. Use Windows 2000.
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > > The best live web video on the internet

> http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> > >

> > ================================================== =========

based
> > OS,

> > help

use

(presently
> > > there

15).
> > Then

Client
> > for
> > > MS

mess
> > with

students
> > on

or
> > > doing

lesson
> > > from
> > > don't,

> prefer

hub

> feed

pcbutts1

They can run 95/98/ME but there is no security and they can bypass any you
try to put on.

"fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LKYEb.25060$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> ok so the server must run 2000 server and all the workstations Must be
> 2000(pro) too - none can run 95/98/mE - correct ?
>

> > You need 2000 server. The control that you are talking about cannot be

> done
> > with 2000 pro. Just one machine needs 2000 server the rest can be pro.
> >
> > --
> >

> > The best live web video on the internet

http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >

> > "fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ctCEb.20773$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > Is the described scenario only available on windows 2000 server - or

> does
> > > windows 2000 pro also facilitate it ?
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > ==========================================

> > http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > > >
> > > ================================================== =========

> based
> > > OS,

> > > help

small

> use

> (presently

> 15).
> > > Then

> Client
> > > for

> mess
> > > with

control.

> students
> > > on

program
> or

> lesson

they

> > prefer

> hub

cable
> > feed

why?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:52:34 -0500, fros wrote:

<snip>

>2. - To be able to demonstrate her lessons from her pc to the students on
>their pc 's. For example, if she's demonstrating a database program or doing
>a simple pascal programming exercise , they can all work on the lesson from
>their desks rather than gathering around her screen.

URLs are for a UK company but you get the idea.

http://www.blackbox.co.uk/page.asp?c...kte&id=ac840ae
CAT5 ClassWork Plus Interactive Display System
* Broadcast the instructor’s monitor display to up to 31
daisychained student computers.
* Totally independent of network software!
* Observe individual student screens from the instructor’s monitor.

This looks to be a handy feature

FOCUS ATTENTION - When you require your students’ full attention, push a
button to darken all monitors and freeze keyboard and mouse controls.
You don’t have to try to talk over a classroom full of clattering
keyboards.

Then the links to more detailed data sheets.

http://www.blackbox.co.uk/page.asp?c...kte&id=kv780ae
# Great for classroom or training environments!
# Use for group presentations or teach one-on-one.
# Students can see what’s on the instructor’s screen and vice versa.
# Teach by example and reinforce with hands-on practice - a proven
combination for success.
# Up to 250 students’ PCs can connect to one system!

If you are going the Win 2000 route, maybe pcbutts1 can confirm. I think
the terminal services would be available for control of the student
systems as well.

<snip>

Me

Nos 1 & 2 dunc Computer Support 10 08-11-2005 12:55 PM
VHDL - Query about Division of two Nos Bakkurudeen Ali J VHDL 2 11-24-2004 04:06 PM
No nos Charles Schuler Digital Photography 1 08-24-2004 10:42 PM
Barring Premium nos??? Amir Computer Information 2 07-03-2004 11:51 AM
adding reciprocals of odd nos. with + & - alternatively Robocop Java 2 02-23-2004 05:18 PM

Advertisments