Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Temp folder?

Temp folder?

Elaine Hirst

can anyone explain what the Temp folder is in
C:\DOCUME~1\user~1\LOCALS~\Temp ?

Brian H¹©

Elaine Hirst said:

> can anyone explain what the Temp folder is in
> C:\DOCUME~1\user~1\LOCALS~\Temp ?

That's where temporary files are kept, like files that are placed on the drive
temporarily during an install awaiting a reboot prior to cleaning up the
installation.
Some "general" work files get placed there too.

°Mike°

The path you have used is the short DOS version of:
C:\Documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings\Temp

Temp folders are "temporary" storage areas of the drive, where setup
routines, and working applications place data that they are working on,
need open, or may need later. It is safe to empty Temp folders, but
ONLY immediately after a reboot -- this is to ensure that nothing gets
deleted that may be needed.

Some common Temp folder locations are:
C:\Windows\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temp
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Temp

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:22:52 -0000, in
<ovkEb.547$(E-Mail Removed)>
Elaine Hirst scrawled:

--