Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing a Coolermaster HeatSink/Fan

Installing a Coolermaster HeatSink/Fan

maderic

Last time I installed a heatsink/fan for an Athlon chip it was
straightforward because firdtly it had a stepped edge and secondly it had an
assymetrcally shaped retaining clip. The Coolermaster Heatsink/fan I am
about to install has neither of these. All it has is a little arrow on the
copper bottom. Any ideas on installation? The coolermaster page I need is
down at present

Thanks

Brian H

maderic said:

> Last time I installed a heatsink/fan for an Athlon chip it was
> straightforward because firdtly it had a stepped edge and secondly it had an
> assymetrcally shaped retaining clip. The Coolermaster Heatsink/fan I am
> about to install has neither of these. All it has is a little arrow on the
> copper bottom. Any ideas on installation? The coolermaster page I need is
> down at present
>
> Thanks

Don't the retaining tabs give a clue as to which way round it goes?

maderic

Silly me. Loking at it another way the copper square on the bottom will only
fit over the socket properly one way. However I thought that all the Atlon
Heatsinks had these asymetrical retaining clips which indicated which end
you clippes on first and which end required the pressure with the
screwdriver etc??
"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
news:N5jEb.5803$(E-Mail Removed)...
> maderic said:
>
> > Last time I installed a heatsink/fan for an Athlon chip it was
> > straightforward because firdtly it had a stepped edge and secondly it

had an
> > assymetrcally shaped retaining clip. The Coolermaster Heatsink/fan I am
> > about to install has neither of these. All it has is a little arrow on

the
> > copper bottom. Any ideas on installation? The coolermaster page I need

is
> > down at present
> >
> > Thanks

> Don't the retaining tabs give a clue as to which way round it goes?

IC

maderic wrote:
> Silly me. Loking at it another way the copper square on the bottom
> will only fit over the socket properly one way. However I thought
> that all the Atlon Heatsinks had these asymetrical retaining clips
> which indicated which end you clippes on first and which end required
> the pressure with the screwdriver etc??
> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> news:N5jEb.5803$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> maderic said:
>>
>>> Last time I installed a heatsink/fan for an Athlon chip it was
>>> straightforward because firdtly it had a stepped edge and secondly
>>> it had an assymetrcally shaped retaining clip. The Coolermaster
>>> Heatsink/fan I am about to install has neither of these. All it has
>>> is a little arrow on the copper bottom. Any ideas on installation?
>>> The coolermaster page I need is down at present
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Don't the retaining tabs give a clue as to which way round it goes?

Which model heatsink is it?