Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win 2k scandisk at startup

win 2k scandisk at startup

Bret Kennedy

every time I do a cold boot, my c: drive gets scanned by scandisk and it all
turns out fine. How can I disable this feature? Do I have a future disk
crash?

I don't seem to see where I can get it out of startup.

M Mullen

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:17:57 -0800, "Bret Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> every time I do a cold boot, my c: drive gets scanned by scandisk and it all
|> turns out fine. How can I disable this feature? Do I have a future disk
|> crash?
|>
|> I don't seem to see where I can get it out of startup.

I suggested ntfaq.com for the info, me thinks your problem was your looking for
scandisk and not chkdsk.

Just me, the history channel, and a browser sooo:

Run the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). You must use Regedt32 and not
Regedit.exe
Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
Change the BootExecute value from:
autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\<drive letter>:
To: autocheck autochk *

Before editing the registry, save the key your working on (drop down menu). save
it as <name>.reg If problems arise due to the change just double click on the
<name>.reg file and it will reinstall itself. Sad fact though is this will be a
boot up problem - so be very sure of your system before you shut down.

Reference:
http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...727/13727.html
(this is ntfaq.com)
--
,,
( "> w

Bret Kennedy

Thanks for the help. It is already set that way.

Any other ideas?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote:

> |> every time I do a cold boot, my c: drive gets scanned by scandisk and

it all
> |> turns out fine. How can I disable this feature? Do I have a future

disk
> |> crash?
> |>
> |> I don't seem to see where I can get it out of startup.
> |>
> I suggested ntfaq.com for the info, me thinks your problem was your

looking for
> scandisk and not chkdsk.
>
> Just me, the history channel, and a browser sooo:
>
> Run the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). You must use Regedt32 and not
> Regedit.exe
> Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
> Change the BootExecute value from:
> autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\<drive letter>:
> To: autocheck autochk *
>
> Before editing the registry, save the key your working on (drop down

menu). save
> it as <name>.reg If problems arise due to the change just double click on

the
> <name>.reg file and it will reinstall itself. Sad fact though is this will

be a
> boot up problem - so be very sure of your system before you shut down.
>

> Reference:
> http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...727/13727.html
> (this is ntfaq.com)
> --
> ,,
> ( "> w
> ,(> )>| 668: The Neighbor of the Beast.
> ( ^^ '

Brian H

Bret Kennedy said:

> Thanks for the help. It is already set that way.
>
> Any other ideas?

2k doesn't have scandisk, but it does have chkdsk.
Check your options in defrag, and see if you have settings for a boottime
defrag, where you will have further options which trigger a chkdsk.
I should point out though, that this part of the program needs to be set
manually, and should not trigger an autoscan every time you reboot.
Unless you have specifically installed software to replace the original defrag
supplied during the installation of your OS, you should not have this/these
options.

> "M Mullen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I suggested ntfaq.com for the info, me thinks your problem was your looking
>> for scandisk and not chkdsk.
>>
>> Just me, the history channel, and a browser sooo:
>>
>> Run the Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). You must use Regedt32 and not
>> Regedit.exe
>> Goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager
>> Change the BootExecute value from:
>> autocheck autochk * /r\DosDevice\<drive letter>:
>> To: autocheck autochk *
>>
>> Before editing the registry, save the key your working on (drop down menu).
>> save it as <name>.reg If problems arise due to the change just double click
>> on the <name>.reg file and it will reinstall itself. Sad fact though is this
>> will be a boot up problem - so be very sure of your system before you shut
>> down.
>>

>> Reference:
>> http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/Art...727/13727.html
>> (this is ntfaq.com)
>> --
>> ,,
>> ( "> w
>> ,(> )>| 668: The Neighbor of the Beast.
>> ( ^^ '

M Mullen

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:04:05 -0800, "Bret Kennedy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> Thanks for the help. It is already set that way.
|>
|> Any other ideas?

I gotta ask: how are you shutting down your system? The power switch or the
shutdown/restart command?

--
,,
( "> w