Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Defrag. problem.

Defrag. problem.

wendell taylor

My scheduled defrag. is set up for 2:55 AM every Wednesday starting June
18/03. Last was 2:55 am on Dec.17/03. Next is 2:55 am on Dec. 24/03.
Problem: about every two days or so when I look in at the computer (it's on
but offline), the little red light is flashing away. I bring up the monitor
and a box says it is defraging.
But it goes 1% complete, then 2% complete, then it goes back to 0% complete.
When you go to "see Details", the screen is just white with no little
coloured squares going back and forth. This goes on forever so after
observing for about four hours, I shut it off (cancel).
Anyone have any ideas on this? Running ME with an old 486 with a Cyrillix
chip. Thanks. Dell.

pmelissakis

Hi Wendal. Probably you have a program running in background.
Disable any virus checker, etc befor runnibg defrag

Pete

"wendell taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]
:
:

trout

wendell taylor wrote:

> My scheduled defrag. is set up for 2:55 AM every Wednesday starting
> June 18/03. Last was 2:55 am on Dec.17/03. Next is 2:55 am on Dec.
> 24/03. Problem: about every two days or so when I look in at the
> computer (it's on but offline), the little red light is flashing
> away. I bring up the monitor and a box says it is defraging.
> But it goes 1% complete, then 2% complete, then it goes back to 0%
> complete. When you go to "see Details", the screen is just white with
> no little coloured squares going back and forth. This goes on forever
> so after observing for about four hours, I shut it off (cancel).
> Anyone have any ideas on this? Running ME with an old 486 with a
> Cyrillix chip. Thanks. Dell.

Defragging as a "maintenance" item tends to be problematic. You must
ensure that *nothing* else is running, or enquires whether it *may* run,
during the procedure. Nothing else working in background; no A/V, no
screen-saver, etc.
You'd probably be better-off doing this manually. Particularly, if
it's been a while since one completed; it *could* take four hours, or
more. Alot the time to be positive it can run without interruption; and
then go do something else.
--
"In 'safe mode', if necessary."