Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive really acting weird

Hard drive really acting weird

Will Smith

I have a Dell 600 MHZ Pentium three with 384 MB of system memory and a
120 GB hard drive. I have about 45 GB still remaining on the hard drive.
My monitor is set at 1024X768, and I use 16Mb of color on it.

Here is my problem for the last few weeks:

I can power off the system completely , turn it on a few minutes later.
It comes up normally, loads what it has to load, and then it sits
quietly waiting to see what I want to do.

Then I begin working with Avant Browser, Microsoft Outlook Express,
Goldmine 6.0, maybe Microsoft Word for a few minutes.

I usually have Zone alarm Pro
Then I jump around looking at many different world news sites checking
to see what is going on from their perspective so I can get a healthier
more balanced idea about what really is happening.

Usually within 45 minutes to 90 minutes, the green light come on on my
hard drive!!

Then.... it just cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks for
hours continuously. My computer slows down to about 286 speed. Many
programs load slowly or not at all. sometimes the email refuses to
connect to the server and check email. All sorts of weird things happen.

Eventually as happened 20 minutes ago, I get frustrated and turn it off.
Starting the whole process all over again.

I just can't get any rhythm going when I try to do the things I need to
do every day. The hard drive seems to hand and nothing i try short of
powering the computer completely off stops the steady green light.

Even when I do a soft reset, the Green light remains on steady?

I run Norton Antivirus every couple of days and it says there are no
viruses.

I run Ad-Aware 6.0 version 158. Yesterday it found and deleted 195
spyware pieces. It ran Ok for the rest of the evening, several hours,
but when I awoke this morning, the active programs were frozen and the
computer was just spinning away with a steady Green light.

I'm spending five hours or more a day trying to fix this with no luck,

Does anyone here have any ideas as to what could be causing this hard
drive which is only 9 months old go bonkers every couple of hours like
it does?

It has been running OK for the 17 minutes I have been typing this.
However I have no active progrmams going other than Microplanet Gravity.
As long as that light stays off the computer moves extremely quickly as
it is doing now. The pointer doesn't lag behind when I move the mouse.
Everything is great right now. I will post another message when I open
more programs and the problem starts to show you how much peace and
quiet I had before it goes buck wild!

TIA

It is now 51 minutes later and the hard drive is still quiet. I have
Mozilla Browser oen two times and MOE. My spell checker has stopped
working for the first time ever as I tried to check this post. It give
me an "error opening Speller message" So the strange things continue...

trout

Will Smith wrote:

> [...]
> drive which is only 9 months old go bonkers every couple of hours like
> it does?
>
> It has been running OK for the 17 minutes I have been typing this.
> However I have no active progrmams going other than Microplanet
> Gravity. As long as that light stays off the computer moves extremely
> quickly as it is doing now. The pointer doesn't lag behind when I
> move the mouse. Everything is great right now. I will post another
> message when I open more programs and the problem starts to show you
> how much peace and quiet I had before it goes buck wild!
>
> TIA
>
> It is now 51 minutes later and the hard drive is still quiet. I have
> Mozilla Browser oen two times and MOE. My spell checker has stopped
> working for the first time ever as I tried to check this post. It give
> me an "error opening Speller message" So the strange things

If AdAware found *that* much crap; I'd *also* download, update, and
use:
Spybot Search & Destroy
<http://security.kolla.de/>

Spyware Blaster
<http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html>

I'd also double-check your anti-virus results with one or more of
the on-line virus scanners:
<http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>
<http://www.kaspersky.com/remoteviruschk.html>
<http://www3.ca.com/virusinfo/virusscan.aspx>
<http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp>
<http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/activescan.asp>
<http://commandondemand.com/eval/index.cfm>
<http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/licence.php>
<http://www.pcpitstop.com/antivirus/default.asp>
<http://scan.sygatetech.com/prestealthscan.html>
--
"Sure sounds like there could be critters."

Shel-hed

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:38:48 -0600, Will Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>I have a Dell 600 MHZ Pentium three with 384 MB of system memory and a
>120 GB hard drive. I have about 45 GB still remaining on the hard drive.
>My monitor is set at 1024X768, and I use 16Mb of color on it.

That would be "I have 16Mb of video ram" or "I'm using 16 bit colour for the
display".

>Here is my problem for the last few weeks:

<chop>

To many possibilities to list, but the first thing that came to mind was MS findfast.
It gets installed with Office. Disable this completely.

KnightTripper

What version of Windows are you running?
Windows 9x tends to run out of system resources the longer it runs.
Also use "ctrl-alt-del" to see how many programs are running. Better yet
use "System Information" under system tools click the + sign next to
"Software Environment: and click "Running Tasks". It will show you
everything that is currently running on your PC. You can also click :Startup
Programs" and see what loads at Windows startup.

GoodLuck!!
KnightTripper

"Will Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> [...]
> it does?
>
> It has been running OK for the 17 minutes I have been typing this.
> However I have no active progrmams going other than Microplanet Gravity.
> As long as that light stays off the computer moves extremely quickly as
> it is doing now. The pointer doesn't lag behind when I move the mouse.
> Everything is great right now. I will post another message when I open
> more programs and the problem starts to show you how much peace and
> quiet I had before it goes buck wild!
>
> TIA
>
> It is now 51 minutes later and the hard drive is still quiet. I have
> Mozilla Browser oen two times and MOE. My spell checker has stopped
> working for the first time ever as I tried to check this post. It give
> me an "error opening Speller message" So the strange things continue...

William Smith

Thanks for the responses.

I set it to 800X600 and am now using 16 bit color display instead of
the more demanding 32 bit True color. Maybe 384 MB of ram isn't
enough when you are running 6 or 7 applications at once like I tend to
do?

I have been going great every since 1946 when I booted up and sent the
last post. Ther is nearly five hours now. The light is still quiet.
right now I have three Mozilla windows open and Free Agent

I'm thinking it may be something in IE 6.0 or the browser Avant or
even Netscape. Shortly after I start going with them, it bogs down.

I will purchase Spybot and use that as well as try some of the other
antivirus programs.

I will keep using Mozilla exclusively and see if it happens when I'm
browsing with it.

Willy out!

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:38:48 -0600, Will Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>

>>I have a Dell 600 MHZ Pentium three with 384 MB of system memory and a
>>120 GB hard drive. I have about 45 GB still remaining on the hard drive.
>>My monitor is set at 1024X768, and I use 16Mb of color on it.

>That would be "I have 16Mb of video ram" or "I'm using 16 bit colour for the
>display".
>
>>Here is my problem for the last few weeks:

> <chop>
>
>To many possibilities to list, but the first thing that came to mind was MS findfast.
>It gets installed with Office. Disable this completely.

IC

William Smith wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.
>
> I set it to 800X600 and am now using 16 bit color display instead of
> the more demanding 32 bit True color. Maybe 384 MB of ram isn't
> enough when you are running 6 or 7 applications at once like I tend to
> do?
>
> I have been going great every since 1946 when I booted up and sent the
> last post.

[snip]

Have a time machine, do you?

Will Smith

In article <QS_Db.1681$%(E-Mail Removed)> ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> William Smith wrote:
> > Thanks for the responses.
> >
> > I set it to 800X600 and am now using 16 bit color display instead of
> > the more demanding 32 bit True color. Maybe 384 MB of ram isn't
> > enough when you are running 6 or 7 applications at once like I tend to
> > do?
> >
> > I have been going great every since 1946 when I booted up and sent the
> > last post.

> [snip]
>
> Have a time machine, do you?

Hey! That's a good one! It did start thrashing on me after about
four hours or so around midnight. I was to tired to mess with it any
further.

This morning I procured a copy of Spybot 1.2 I ran it and after about 20
minutes, it finished and reported that I had 128 threats on my computer.
I looked them over closely and didn't see any I really wanted to keep
other than the "Windows Media Player ID=" thing that it found. So I
asked it to fix all of that.
It tried to, but it came back and said that some were tied into my
system in such a manner that it would need to reboot to get rid of
those.

So I rebooted and Spybot ran again. This time it came back with about 12
threats. I told it to remove all of them and I rebooted again. I ran it
a third time and it found nothing.

Then I ran Ad-a-Ware version 158. I had it do a quick scan and it found
only 4 errors. I ran it again with an in depth scan for about 20 minutes
and when I noticed that it hadn't found any errors I cancelled it.

Then I ran the Norton sytemworks thing which checks everything. After
that I ran Norton Windoctor which found one error I believe.

Then I rebooted again around 1400 and things have been perfect every
since.

I'm pretty sure it was the SpyBot that got rid of the stuff that was
causing my system to go around in circles.

Thanks to those of you who suggested that I try it.

I guess I will run this stuff every couple of days. Tonight I will run
Norton Anti virus again while I sleep to make sure nothing has sneaked
in while I wasn't looking.

That was a really horrid several weeks. I really appreciate the
tremendous amount of brain power that is available here free of charge
unlike what the major manufacturers offer.

May the blessings of the GREAT ARCHITECT OF THE UNIVERSE guide and
protect this mighty forum!

Over and out!

Will Smith

trout

Will Smith wrote:
<snip>
> I'm pretty sure it was the SpyBot that got rid of the stuff that was
> causing my system to go around in circles.
>
> Thanks to those of you who suggested that I try it.
>
> I guess I will run this stuff every couple of days. Tonight I will run
> Norton Anti virus again while I sleep to make sure nothing has sneaked
> in while I wasn't looking.
>
> That was a really horrid several weeks. I really appreciate the
> tremendous amount of brain power that is available here free of charge
> unlike what the major manufacturers offer.
>
> May the blessings of the GREAT ARCHITECT OF THE UNIVERSE guide and
> protect this mighty forum!
>
> Over and out!
>
> Will Smith

Glad you got it sorted out. Now; don't forget to *update* your
programs before you run them.
AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!
--
"Make full use of your weapons."

Max Quordlepleen

"trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!

Damn! I suppose I'll have to boot back into W2K just to update my
plethora of programmes designed to protect me from all that nasty
Windows malware, before retreating once more to the serene haven that
is Linux. Thanks for the heads-up, Unca rrhynchus

--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

trout

Max Quordlepleen wrote:

> "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> AdAware *alone* has had *two* updates, just today!

> Damn! I suppose I'll have to boot back into W2K just to update my
> plethora of programmes designed to protect me from all that nasty
> Windows malware, before retreating once more to the serene haven that
> is Linux. Thanks for the heads-up, Unca rrhynchus

I was rather surprised, myself. I'd wrestled my 'privacy' phobias to
a stand-off and signed-up for the email notification. For a minute,
there, I thought I was getting doubles.
--
"And now, I've pluralized a word ending in 'ia' with and 's'; and am
just feeling horribly uncomfortable about the whole thing."