Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > thow to turn off "system restore" equivalent fin W2K?

thow to turn off "system restore" equivalent fin W2K?

fros

I'm having trouble getting a Win 2000 clear of viruses.
I've used Norton and AVG (both with updated definitions).
All appears to be clear and then there's a re-occurance and another culprit
pops up ( today it's the 'backdoor')
It's not from the usual sources (email attachments, websites, downloads).
I've run both apps extensively.
I've also run from Safe Mode.

It seems that a "System Restore" kind of function may have already backed up
the file/s containing the virus/es and certain virus scan programs cannot
alter the system and find the files there.

In XP you can go to My Computer... Properties... System Restore... and check
the
"Turn off System Restore" box. Restart the system and run a virus
scan .If the system finds a virus, continue normally and clean, quarantine,
or delete the file(s).
Restart the system again. Go back and uncheck the "Turn off System Restore"
box and run another virus scan.

Any help doing the same in Windows 2000 appreciated.

--
newsgroups signature

me

Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
Restore Settings, System Restore tab, check the box. "Turn off System
Restore on all drives", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 18:51:19 -0500, "fros" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm having trouble getting a Win 2000 clear of viruses.
>I've used Norton and AVG (both with updated definitions).
>All appears to be clear and then there's a re-occurance and another culprit
>pops up ( today it's the 'backdoor')
>It's not from the usual sources (email attachments, websites, downloads).
>I've run both apps extensively.
>I've also run from Safe Mode.
>
>It seems that a "System Restore" kind of function may have already backed up
>the file/s containing the virus/es and certain virus scan programs cannot
>alter the system and find the files there.
>
>In XP you can go to My Computer... Properties... System Restore... and check
>the
>"Turn off System Restore" box. Restart the system and run a virus
>scan .If the system finds a virus, continue normally and clean, quarantine,
>or delete the file(s).
>Restart the system again. Go back and uncheck the "Turn off System Restore"
>box and run another virus scan.
>
>Any help doing the same in Windows 2000 appreciated.

rifleman

In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
|Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
|Restore Settings, System Restore tab, check the box. "Turn off System
|Restore on all drives", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

Umm W2K has System Restore? I've never seen it......

rifleman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> , me9
@privacy.net says...
|In article <(E-Mail Removed) m>,
|(E-Mail Removed) says...
||Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
||Restore Settings, System Restore tab, check the box. "Turn off System
||Restore on all drives", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.
|
|Umm W2K has System Restore? I've never seen it......

I thought so - I've just fired up my other machine with W2K on it. there
is NO "System Restore" as in XP.

fros

hence the original question

--