Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting a win 2000 laptop and reinstalling Win 98se

Formatting a win 2000 laptop and reinstalling Win 98se

Trent C

I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.

A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?

Many and grovelling thanks as always.

Brian H供

Trent C said:

> I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
> offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
>
> A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
> some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
> fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
> before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
>
> Many and grovelling thanks as always.

As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any problems.
2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

Trent C

> > I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
> > offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
> >
> > A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
> > some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
> > fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
> > before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
> >
> > Many and grovelling thanks as always.

> As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any

problems.
> 2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
NTFS - what are my options?

TIA

Brian H供

Trent C said:

>>> I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
>>> offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
>>>
>>> A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
>>> some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
>>> fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
>>> before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
>>>
>>> Many and grovelling thanks as always.

>> As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any problems.
>> 2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

> Hi Brian,
>
> Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
> assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
> trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
> NTFS - what are my options?
>
> TIA

If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
should be:-
convert /fs:fat32
check the system help files by searching for convert.

Brian H供

Brian H供 said:

>>> As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any problems.
>>> 2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
>> assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
>> trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
>> NTFS - what are my options?
>>
>> TIA

> If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
> should be:-
> convert /fs:fat32
> check the system help files by searching for convert.

Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you the choice
of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

Harrison

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:12:08 -0000, "Brian H供"
<(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Brian H供 said:

>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
>>> assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
>>> trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
>>> NTFS - what are my options?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
>> should be:-
>> convert /fs:fat32
>> check the system help files by searching for convert.

>Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you the choice
>of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

You are joking, aren't you?

Brian H供

Harrison said:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:12:08 -0000, "Brian H供"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Brian H供 said:

>>> If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
>>> should be:-
>>> convert /fs:fat32
>>> check the system help files by searching for convert.

>> Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you the
>> choice of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

> You are joking, aren't you?

Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools for
formatting drives.

Trent C

to run

compound

done it

HDD I

> >> Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you

the
> >> choice of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

> > You are joking, aren't you?

> Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools

for
> formatting drives.

I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly greater
than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on other
than hearsay, mind you.

Brian H供

Trent C said:

>>> You are joking, aren't you?

>> Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools for
>> formatting drives.

> I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly greater
> than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
> journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on other
> than hearsay, mind you.

I experimented wth converting to NTFS back to FAT32 and back to NTFS to see if
there was any loss of files on my system some time ago.
The only thing I will *never* do again is to compress the drive. A day to
compress it, find there was no noticeable difference, so followed by a day
uncompressing, resulting in a total mess of the file system and the files on the
drive, causing defrag to run for 15 hours instead of 5 to 10 minutes.
In the end, I removed all the files, formatted and put the files back on the
drive.

Trent C

process.

complicated

FAT32

relatively

is

the

> >> Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools

for
> >> formatting drives.

> > I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly

greater
> > than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
> > journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on

other
> > than hearsay, mind you.

> I experimented wth converting to NTFS back to FAT32 and back to NTFS to

see if
> there was any loss of files on my system some time ago.
> The only thing I will *never* do again is to compress the drive. A day to
> compress it, find there was no noticeable difference, so followed by a day
> uncompressing, resulting in a total mess of the file system and the files

on the
> drive, causing defrag to run for 15 hours instead of 5 to 10 minutes.
> In the end, I removed all the files, formatted and put the files back on

the
> drive.

Thanks for the reassurance. I wonder what my friend meant when he said it
was a tricky process?