Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > switching speaker plugs at sound card

switching speaker plugs at sound card

rr

I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and a
headset but don't want to have to power down all the time. Is there a
way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
Thanks
rr

Harrison

If you have an open USB port you may want to consider a USB headset.
Mine allows me to choose whether or not to allow the speakers to also
work. No reboot required.

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 14:04:41 -0500, rr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and a
>headset but don't want to have to power down all the time. Is there a
>way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
>Thanks
>rr

Brian H供

rr said:

> I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and a
> headset but don't want to have to power down all the time. Is there a
> way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
> Thanks
> rr

Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the speakers or
headset from the sound card?

Scrote

Tony, who knows nothing wrote

This`ll do it especially if your a gamer...
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/si.../GameVoice.asp

semper in excrementum sum, solo profundus variat.......kinda

"rr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and a
> headset but don't want to have to power down all the time. Is there a
> way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
> Thanks
> rr

John Holmes

Brian H供 came up with this:

> Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the
> speakers or headset from the sound card?

Because, you can damage a sound card by doing just that. I have seen this
happening, on several occasions, when the PC isn't attached to a grounded
outlet.

--
John Holmes, aTheist #666

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

Brian H供

John Holmes said:

> Brian H供 came up with this:
>
>> Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the
>> speakers or headset from the sound card?

> Because, you can damage a sound card by doing just that. I have seen this
> happening, on several occasions, when the PC isn't attached to a grounded
> outlet.

Never heard that one before, and I've being pulling plugs from soundcards for as
long as soundcards have been used in computers.

Not something I would do on a proper stereo with a 120watt per channel power amp
with the volume turned up whilst playing AC/DC though I must admit.

John Holmes

Brian H供 came up with this:

> John Holmes said:
>
>> Brian H供 came up with this:
>>
>>> Why do you feel the need to turn off your pc just to unplug the
>>> speakers or headset from the sound card?

>> Because, you can damage a sound card by doing just that. I have seen
>> this happening, on several occasions, when the PC isn't attached to a
>> grounded outlet.

> Never heard that one before, and I've being pulling plugs from
> soundcards for as long as soundcards have been used in computers.
>
> Not something I would do on a proper stereo with a 120watt per channel
> power amp with the volume turned up whilst playing AC/DC though I must
> admit.

LOL

--
John Holmes, aTheist #666

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

Gimpy

"rr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between speakers and a
> headset but don't want to have to power down all the time. Is there a
> way to do this safely? Is there a switching box, for example?
> Thanks
> r Or you could just use a switch & be done with

it..........http://electronicsusa.com/

Zknb

You dont turn off you stereo just to plug in a pair of head phones do
you?

It is just the same as any home stereo wit ha head phone jack.

You can not damage your soundcard in any way by unplugging your
speakers and plugging in head phones.