Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New XP user questions

Reply
Thread Tools

New XP user questions

 
 
Denise
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2003
Hi all,

I've purchased a new computer and am having trouble getting used to the
differences between 98 and XP. I've got a few questions I was hoping some
of you might be able to help me with.

My main issue with XP is it seems harder to customize my shortcuts and links
than it was with 98. For instance, is there a way that I can put a shortcut
to my IM services on the start menu *without* having to have a shortcut to
them on the desktop? I mean, what's the need of having several different
shortcuts to the same thing all over the place?

Next, is there a way to put a shortcut to the desktop on my systray like
with 98? I never realized how much I depended on that shortcut 'till it was
gone.

And lastly, I think, I'm having trouble with my home network. The other two
computers in my house still run 98. I'm obviously having no trouble
accessing the internet, but I can't access the other computers. Is there a
way this can be done?

Thanks very much,

Denise
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Miggsee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003
Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start Menu".
(You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic).
By systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.

About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they connected?
You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you need to share
drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com .

You'll get it!
"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I've purchased a new computer and am having trouble getting used to the
> differences between 98 and XP. I've got a few questions I was hoping some
> of you might be able to help me with.
>
> My main issue with XP is it seems harder to customize my shortcuts and

links
> than it was with 98. For instance, is there a way that I can put a

shortcut
> to my IM services on the start menu *without* having to have a shortcut to
> them on the desktop? I mean, what's the need of having several different
> shortcuts to the same thing all over the place?
>
> Next, is there a way to put a shortcut to the desktop on my systray like
> with 98? I never realized how much I depended on that shortcut 'till it

was
> gone.
>
> And lastly, I think, I'm having trouble with my home network. The other

two
> computers in my house still run 98. I'm obviously having no trouble
> accessing the internet, but I can't access the other computers. Is there

a
> way this can be done?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Denise
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harrison
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003
The first thing you may want to do is to switch to the classic menu
instead of the new XP view.
Right click the Start button and choose Properties. Choose the
"Classic Start Menu" Option, then click Customize.
Review the "Advanced Start Menu Options" and make changes as desired.

Now for the toolbars.
The toolbars are locked by default. This is true on the Taskbar as
well as in IE.
To unlock the taskbar right click in a blank space and uncheck the
"lock the taskbar" option.

To add or remove toolbars, right click the taskbar and choose Toolbars
at the top of the menu. Then check or uncheck the desired toolbars.
Add, move, copy, icons as desired.

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:46:35 -0600, "Denise"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've purchased a new computer and am having trouble getting used to the
>differences between 98 and XP. I've got a few questions I was hoping some
>of you might be able to help me with.
>
>My main issue with XP is it seems harder to customize my shortcuts and links
>than it was with 98. For instance, is there a way that I can put a shortcut
>to my IM services on the start menu *without* having to have a shortcut to
>them on the desktop? I mean, what's the need of having several different
>shortcuts to the same thing all over the place?
>
>Next, is there a way to put a shortcut to the desktop on my systray like
>with 98? I never realized how much I depended on that shortcut 'till it was
>gone.
>
>And lastly, I think, I'm having trouble with my home network. The other two
>computers in my house still run 98. I'm obviously having no trouble
>accessing the internet, but I can't access the other computers. Is there a
>way this can be done?
>
>Thanks very much,
>
>Denise
>(E-Mail Removed)
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Pauline Johnson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:46:35 -0600, "Denise"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> .... snip ....
>Next, is there a way to put a shortcut to the desktop on my systray like
>with 98? I never realized how much I depended on that shortcut 'till it was
>gone.
> .... snip ....


Restore Desktop Shortcut in Task Bar

If you lose the Show Desktop shortcut from the taskbar's Quick Launch
toolbar, you can restore it by going to the folder:-

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application
Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.


In there create a new *text* file with the following contents:

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
Command=ToggleDesktop

Save the file in the above folder with the name SHOWDESKTOP.SCF. This
will restore the shortcut.

It MUST be a plain text file - no formatting

--
Paulie

pjpjpj A T aussiemail D O T com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Denise
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2003

"Miggsee" wrote:

>Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start Menu".

(You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic). By
systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.

Ok, I've got that fixed, thank you muchly.

>About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they

connected? You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you need
to share drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
http://www.practicallynetworked.com .

Duh, I forgot about giving info, sorry. I have a cable modem, which
connects to a 5-port hub, and then all the computers hook into that. I went
through some kind of wizard in XP that had me make a floppy to use on the
other computers, but as far as I can tell, it did absolutely nothing. When
I try to access the other computers through my new one, it says this is the
only one on the network. I had a network set up when I had all 98 machines,
and the 98 machines can still see each other; the problem seems to be with
the XP machine. Gah, I don't feel like that makes any sense, sorry. I'll
provide any info anyone needs to help me, just let me know.

>You'll get it!


Thanks, I hope so! I need some way to get the info off my old computer onto
this one. hehe

And thanks again for all help!

Denise
(E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Miggsee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-17-2003

"Denise" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Miggsee" wrote:
>
> >Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start

Menu".
> (You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic). By
> systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
> empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
> right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.
>
> Ok, I've got that fixed, thank you muchly.



You're more than welcome!


> >About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they

> connected? You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you

need
> to share drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com .
>
> Duh, I forgot about giving info, sorry. I have a cable modem, which
> connects to a 5-port hub, and then all the computers hook into that. I

went
> through some kind of wizard in XP that had me make a floppy to use on the
> other computers, but as far as I can tell, it did absolutely nothing.

When
> I try to access the other computers through my new one, it says this is

the
> only one on the network. I had a network set up when I had all 98

machines,
> and the 98 machines can still see each other; the problem seems to be with
> the XP machine. Gah, I don't feel like that makes any sense, sorry. I'll
> provide any info anyone needs to help me, just let me know.
>
> >You'll get it!

>
> Thanks, I hope so! I need some way to get the info off my old computer

onto
> this one. hehe
>
> And thanks again for all help!
>
> Denise
> (E-Mail Removed)


Denise,
By no way am I a network expert! I have managed to set up a 4 computer,
wired network in my home. It was by trial and error, and time, and lots of
satisfaction when I succeeded! ) I drilled the holes, spread the wire, and
researched to figure it out. It *was* fun, and a few days projects. I don't
feel qualified to lead you into it. Sooo....... Others:

Help out here! She's off to a good start! You all know more than me, so
please offer assistance!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
rifleman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-17-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
|
|"Miggsee" wrote:
|
|>Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start Menu".
|(You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic). By
|systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
|empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
|right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.
|
|Ok, I've got that fixed, thank you muchly.
|
|>About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they
|connected? You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you need
|to share drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
|http://www.practicallynetworked.com .
|
|Duh, I forgot about giving info, sorry. I have a cable modem, which
|connects to a 5-port hub, and then all the computers hook into that. I went
|through some kind of wizard in XP that had me make a floppy to use on the
|other computers, but as far as I can tell, it did absolutely nothing. When
|I try to access the other computers through my new one, it says this is the
|only one on the network. I had a network set up when I had all 98 machines,
|and the 98 machines can still see each other; the problem seems to be with
|the XP machine. Gah, I don't feel like that makes any sense, sorry. I'll
|provide any info anyone needs to help me, just let me know.
|
|>You'll get it!
|
|Thanks, I hope so! I need some way to get the info off my old computer onto
|this one. hehe
|
|And thanks again for all help!
|
|Denise
|(E-Mail Removed)
|
|
|
|
You must ensure that there is an IDENTICAL user set up on each machine
with an IDENTICAL username, IDENTICAL password and IDENTICAL user
rights. (You don't have to log-in with this user, it just has to be
there). Secondly you need to ensure that the folders you want other
machines on the network to "see" have been shared. Right-click on the
folder, select Properties and go to the "Sharing" tab.

HTH

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc questions for new user Mousetater Firefox 3 05-04-2005 03:01 PM
FF Reinstall and New User Questions Herb Firefox 1 01-30-2005 06:25 PM
Re: Questions....questions....questions Patrick Michael A+ Certification 0 06-16-2004 04:53 PM
Linux Fedora new user questions American Pi Computer Support 2 02-09-2004 10:43 AM
new user very untechno-savvy with few questions re Outlook Express rose Computer Support 2 01-28-2004 01:24 PM



Advertisments