Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > codec for windows media player

codec for windows media player

Dalziel

Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with windows
media player?
I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
download it and how is a codec installed?

Many thanks & regards,

Dalziel

PS I use windows XP

gangle

You need Quicktime.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
When installing, don't let it take over any file types
except proprietary ones, namely: .qt and .mov.

"Dalziel" wrote
> Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with windows
> media player?
> I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
> download it and how is a codec installed?
>
> Many thanks & regards,
>
> Dalziel
>
> PS I use windows XP

Dalziel

Thanks Gangle

I think that this is just what I wanted.
I was hoping it would only be an add-on for Media player instead of another
piece of software!
However, looks as if I will need to install Quicktime to play this file.
Your help was very much appreciated.

Thanks & regards

Dalziel

"gangle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You need Quicktime.
> http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/
> When installing, don't let it take over any file types
> except proprietary ones, namely: .qt and .mov.
>
> "Dalziel" wrote
> > Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with

windows
> > media player?
> > I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
> > download it and how is a codec installed?
> >
> > Many thanks & regards,
> >
> > Dalziel
> >
> > PS I use windows XP

Graham

A quick google search is suggesting that this is not possible It makes
sense, Why would apple give up their only exclusive media format?

"Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brhrab$qvq$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with

windows
> media player?
> I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
> download it and how is a codec installed?
>
> Many thanks & regards,
>
> Dalziel
>
> PS I use windows XP

Belch

Real Alternative 1.11 plays both MOV (QuickTime) and RM (Real Media)
clips in windows media player version 6.4. The codec is included and
requires no installation.

I have 2 versions of WMP on my machine both work just fine. My QT and
RM files boot up faster. I uninstalled both the QT and RM players
before installing Real Alternative and got rid of RM and the
advertising baggage it comes with. Real Alternative does not appear to
have spyware and ads.

You can download it for free at:
http://click-now.net/downloads08.htm...rnative%201.11

I am tickled pick with RA.

Belch
Non-smokers are better lovers.

-----

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:15:35 -0000, "Dalziel"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with windows
>media player?
>I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
>download it and how is a codec installed?
>
>Many thanks & regards,
>
>Dalziel
>
>PS I use windows XP

Belch

Forgot to say that WMP 6.4 is included in the RA installation and I
too use XP.

Belch

-----

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:27:00 GMT, belch@**REMOVE**easy.com (Belch)
wrote:

>Real Alternative 1.11 plays both MOV (QuickTime) and RM (Real Media)
>clips in windows media player version 6.4. The codec is included and
>requires no installation.
>
>snip>
>
>Belch
>Non-smokers are better lovers.
>
>-----
>snip

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:brhrab$qvq$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone please tell me it is possible to play a .mov file with

windows
> media player?

Yep.

> I heard that a 'codec' could be downloaded to do this. If so, where do I
> download it and how is a codec installed?

Well, the canonical answer is " http://www.quicktime.com " which
Apple runs.

You can also use the QuickTime Alternative, which is available at
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/***********************************mirror.htm .

RwP

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Belch" <belch@**REMOVE**easy.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Real Alternative 1.11 plays both MOV (QuickTime) and RM (Real Media)
> clips in windows media player version 6.4. The codec is included and
> requires no installation.

Ahem. RealAlternative supports RM, QuicktimeAlternativee supports
MOV.

Takes both ...

RwP