Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

Reply
Thread Tools

mouse click on scroll button repositions text cursor all of a sudden

 
 
dan glenn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2003
After a recent Windows update (I have WinXP Home) I noticed that all of a
sudden two things are happening that did not happen before, and both are
VERY aggravating. These have to do with my email client (Outlook Express 6)
and IE6 browser, but may be happening elsewhere as well:

1. A click with the mouse on the vertical scroll button (or just anywhere in
the 'track' that the vertical scroll button slides on for that matter) will
immediately reposition the text cursor to the end of the line adjacent to
the mouse-click. EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING, as I often want to scroll up or down
many lines to just review something, then instantly return to where the
mouse cursor was by hitting a right or left arrow key. But now the text
cursor winds up wherever I scroll to!

2. In my Browser (and it seems in a lot of other applications as well),
clicking with mouse above or below the vertical scroll button, which is
supposed to just scroll slightly less than one full page, is now scrolling a
lot more than that, like sometimes as much as 2-3 pages, thus skipping much
in the process. Again, VERY AGGRAVATING!

Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm always up-to-date on
latest Windows code (that was where the problem came from, I'm sure). Is
there some registry setting that can fix this???

-dg


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-14-2003
If you have the 824145 Internet Explorer update installed,
there is a bug in it that breaks the scroll in I.E. I wasn't
aware that it affected Windows XP, but it may do.

The only way (that I know of) to overcome this, is to uninstall
that update, but that would leave you vulnerable to the
security issues that the update addresses. Apparently, MS
are aware of the problem.

A work-around, if you have a three button scroll mouse, is
to depress the middle button until you get the scroll arrow,
and use the mouse to scroll.


On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:39:07 GMT, in
<LkVCb.38864$(E-Mail Removed) >
dan glenn scrawled:

>After a recent Windows update (I have WinXP Home) I noticed that all of a
>sudden two things are happening that did not happen before, and both are
>VERY aggravating. These have to do with my email client (Outlook Express 6)
>and IE6 browser, but may be happening elsewhere as well:
>
>1. A click with the mouse on the vertical scroll button (or just anywhere in
>the 'track' that the vertical scroll button slides on for that matter) will
>immediately reposition the text cursor to the end of the line adjacent to
>the mouse-click. EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING, as I often want to scroll up or down
>many lines to just review something, then instantly return to where the
>mouse cursor was by hitting a right or left arrow key. But now the text
>cursor winds up wherever I scroll to!
>
>2. In my Browser (and it seems in a lot of other applications as well),
>clicking with mouse above or below the vertical scroll button, which is
>supposed to just scroll slightly less than one full page, is now scrolling a
>lot more than that, like sometimes as much as 2-3 pages, thus skipping much
>in the process. Again, VERY AGGRAVATING!
>
>Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm always up-to-date on
>latest Windows code (that was where the problem came from, I'm sure). Is
>there some registry setting that can fix this???
>
>-dg
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dan glenn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2003
That was it, °Mike° - thanks. I do have a scroll wheel on my mouse, but
having to middle-click, drag to scroll, and middle-click again just to view
another portion of an email I am working on, just to keep the text cursor
from moving in the process, is a bit too much. I'm not that scared of the
fact that my computer, out of 10's of millions of computers on the net at
any one time, is vulnerable for certain security issues, and will wait until
M$ get's a fix for the security that does not break the scroll as well.

thanks again,
-dg

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you have the 824145 Internet Explorer update installed,
> there is a bug in it that breaks the scroll in I.E. I wasn't
> aware that it affected Windows XP, but it may do.
>
> The only way (that I know of) to overcome this, is to uninstall
> that update, but that would leave you vulnerable to the
> security issues that the update addresses. Apparently, MS
> are aware of the problem.
>
> A work-around, if you have a three button scroll mouse, is
> to depress the middle button until you get the scroll arrow,
> and use the mouse to scroll.
>
>
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:39:07 GMT, in
> <LkVCb.38864$(E-Mail Removed) >
> dan glenn scrawled:
>
> >After a recent Windows update (I have WinXP Home) I noticed that all of a
> >sudden two things are happening that did not happen before, and both are
> >VERY aggravating. These have to do with my email client (Outlook Express

6)
> >and IE6 browser, but may be happening elsewhere as well:
> >
> >1. A click with the mouse on the vertical scroll button (or just anywhere

in
> >the 'track' that the vertical scroll button slides on for that matter)

will
> >immediately reposition the text cursor to the end of the line adjacent to
> >the mouse-click. EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING, as I often want to scroll up or

down
> >many lines to just review something, then instantly return to where the
> >mouse cursor was by hitting a right or left arrow key. But now the text
> >cursor winds up wherever I scroll to!
> >
> >2. In my Browser (and it seems in a lot of other applications as well),
> >clicking with mouse above or below the vertical scroll button, which is
> >supposed to just scroll slightly less than one full page, is now

scrolling a
> >lot more than that, like sometimes as much as 2-3 pages, thus skipping

much
> >in the process. Again, VERY AGGRAVATING!
> >
> >Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm always up-to-date

on
> >latest Windows code (that was where the problem came from, I'm sure). Is
> >there some registry setting that can fix this???
> >
> >-dg
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2003
You're welcome.


On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 05:24:03 GMT, in
<SzbDb.39471$(E-Mail Removed) m>
dan glenn scrawled:

>That was it, °Mike° - thanks. I do have a scroll wheel on my mouse, but
>having to middle-click, drag to scroll, and middle-click again just to view
>another portion of an email I am working on, just to keep the text cursor
>from moving in the process, is a bit too much. I'm not that scared of the
>fact that my computer, out of 10's of millions of computers on the net at
>any one time, is vulnerable for certain security issues, and will wait until
>M$ get's a fix for the security that does not break the scroll as well.
>
>thanks again,
>-dg
>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you have the 824145 Internet Explorer update installed,
>> there is a bug in it that breaks the scroll in I.E. I wasn't
>> aware that it affected Windows XP, but it may do.
>>
>> The only way (that I know of) to overcome this, is to uninstall
>> that update, but that would leave you vulnerable to the
>> security issues that the update addresses. Apparently, MS
>> are aware of the problem.
>>
>> A work-around, if you have a three button scroll mouse, is
>> to depress the middle button until you get the scroll arrow,
>> and use the mouse to scroll.
>>
>>
>> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:39:07 GMT, in
>> <LkVCb.38864$(E-Mail Removed) >
>> dan glenn scrawled:
>>
>> >After a recent Windows update (I have WinXP Home) I noticed that all of a
>> >sudden two things are happening that did not happen before, and both are
>> >VERY aggravating. These have to do with my email client (Outlook Express

>6)
>> >and IE6 browser, but may be happening elsewhere as well:
>> >
>> >1. A click with the mouse on the vertical scroll button (or just anywhere

>in
>> >the 'track' that the vertical scroll button slides on for that matter)

>will
>> >immediately reposition the text cursor to the end of the line adjacent to
>> >the mouse-click. EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING, as I often want to scroll up or

>down
>> >many lines to just review something, then instantly return to where the
>> >mouse cursor was by hitting a right or left arrow key. But now the text
>> >cursor winds up wherever I scroll to!
>> >
>> >2. In my Browser (and it seems in a lot of other applications as well),
>> >clicking with mouse above or below the vertical scroll button, which is
>> >supposed to just scroll slightly less than one full page, is now

>scrolling a
>> >lot more than that, like sometimes as much as 2-3 pages, thus skipping

>much
>> >in the process. Again, VERY AGGRAVATING!
>> >
>> >Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a fix? I'm always up-to-date

>on
>> >latest Windows code (that was where the problem came from, I'm sure). Is
>> >there some registry setting that can fix this???
>> >
>> >-dg
>> >

>>
>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance
>> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to tell if cursor is sqlite.Cursor or psycopg2.Cursor dmaziuk Python 3 01-25-2011 04:52 AM
This code requires the user 2 click the mouse twice, how do i do itin just one mouse-click? Daniish Javascript 2 06-13-2008 08:41 PM
Declare Cursor error while implementing SCROLL CURSOR invy C Programming 4 12-28-2006 02:35 PM
How to fire both event button click and textchanged when button is click and text is changed Amy ASP .Net 0 06-01-2006 02:33 PM
prevent mouse scroll to scroll in a dropdownlist nicholas ASP .Net 0 12-07-2004 11:26 AM



Advertisments