Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Missing Startup File

Missing Startup File

A.Bloke

Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.

Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
Pardon the capital letters:
THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,'' AN
INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.

I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
repaired.

If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix fails, I
receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take ages
to download.

Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.

Thanks in advance

Steve

@}-}-------Rosee

This is a RealOne file and there is a workaround. RealOne is really a
shitty program and I nuked it within 5 minutes of the installation. It
took over everything. Just nasty. Anyway, the workaround is described
here:

http://www.mikescomputerinfo.com/TkBellExe.htm

More information here:

http://www.computing.net/windows2000...rum/26284.html

I use Irfanview for Real files. Some folks have installed RealAlternative
found here:

http://www.click-now.net/html/RealAlternative.htm

"A.Bloke" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
news:9WECb.4373$(E-Mail Removed):

--
@}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com

Bill Schnakenberg

A.Bloke wrote:

>Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
>
>Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
>Pardon the capital letters:
>THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
>REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,'' AN
>INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
>THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
>
>I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
>repaired.
>
>If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
>painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
>When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix fails, I
>receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take ages
>to download.
>
>Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Steve

That registry entry belongs to the RealOne player.
My solution was to uninstall the RealOne player. You might try the
'partial' solution here:

A.Bloke

"Bill Schnakenberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newskFCb.8477$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A.Bloke wrote:
>
> >Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
> >
> >Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
> >Pardon the capital letters:
> >THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
> >REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,'' AN
> >INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
> >THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
> >
> >I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
> >repaired.
> >
> >If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
> >painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
> >When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix fails,

> >receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take

ages
> >to download.
> >
> >Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
> >
> >Thanks in advance
> >
> >Steve
> >

> That registry entry belongs to the RealOne player.
> My solution was to uninstall the RealOne player. You might try the
> 'partial' solution here:

Thanks.
I suspected as much, even though I booted off Realplayer a couple of months
ago
I am about to try that partial solution.
Beats me why it slows down programs & internet connection though.

Steve

A.Bloke

"@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
> This is a RealOne file and there is a workaround. RealOne is really a
> shitty program and I nuked it within 5 minutes of the installation. It
> took over everything. Just nasty. Anyway, the workaround is described
> here:

Thanks.

The other poster (scroll down) has sugested a fix.
Beats me why it slows down my programs & internet connection.

Steve

> http://www.mikescomputerinfo.com/TkBellExe.htm
>
> More information here:
>
> http://www.computing.net/windows2000...rum/26284.html
>
> I use Irfanview for Real files. Some folks have installed RealAlternative
> found here:
>
> http://www.click-now.net/html/RealAlternative.htm
>
> "A.Bloke" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
> news:9WECb.4373$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
> >
> > Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
> > Pardon the capital letters:
> > THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
> > REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,''
> > AN INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
> > THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
> >
> > I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
> > repaired.
> >
> > If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
> > painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
> > When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix
> > fails, I receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup
> > messages take ages to download.
> >
> > Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Steve

> --
> @}-}-------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm
> www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
> "This (TINT) is whatever I want it to be you bigfooted
> belligerent bowlegged babblative babuina."~Zigi~

A.Bloke

"A.Bloke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nlJCb.4634$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Bill Schnakenberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newskFCb.8477$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > A.Bloke wrote:
> >
> > >Greeting to all you wise gentlemen & ladies.
> > >
> > >Norton tells me that I have a missing windows startup file.
> > >Pardon the capital letters:
> > >THE KEY ''SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN,'' REFERS TO A
> > >REGISTRY VALUE ''TKBELLEXE'' THAT POINTS TO ''REALSCHED.EXE -OSBOOT,''

AN
> > >INVALID STARTUP COMMAND.
> > >THIS CAN CAUSE YOUR PROGRAMS NOT TO OPEN.
> > >
> > >I run Norton, click on 'fix' & Norton tells me that the problem is
> > >repaired.
> > >
> > >If I do not repair the problem Outlook Express & Internet Explorer are
> > >painfully slow & my other programs are sluggish.
> > >When on the internet & I change from email to a newsgroup, the fix

fails,
> > >receive error messages, time out messages & all newsgroup messages take

> ages
> > >to download.
> > >
> > >Win 98 se, not running very much & disc is well maintained.
> > >
> > >Thanks in advance
> > >
> > >Steve
> > >

> > That registry entry belongs to the RealOne player.
> > My solution was to uninstall the RealOne player. You might try the
> > 'partial' solution here:

> Thanks.
> I suspected as much, even though I booted off Realplayer a couple of

months
> ago
> I am about to try that partial solution.
> Beats me why it slows down programs & internet connection though.
>
> Steve

Nope, nothing seems to work.

I am going to delete Realsched.exe & see what happens.
Lonely are the brave.

Steve (brave).