Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Folder options

Folder options

Johnny 5

Hi,

Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my desktop? I
have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and looked at the
selection in windows but is there any way to download pictures and be able
to use those as icons instead of the windows ones? I've tried to do it but
when I click browse to chhose the picture of my choice the picture doesnt
show up, it seems like it has to be an icon file but I dont know how to do
it. Does anyone here know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either
as that changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.

Thank you.

Brian H¹©

Johnny 5 said:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my desktop? I
> have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and looked at the
> selection in windows but is there any way to download pictures and be able
> to use those as icons instead of the windows ones? I've tried to do it but
> when I click browse to chhose the picture of my choice the picture doesnt
> show up, it seems like it has to be an icon file but I dont know how to do
> it. Does anyone here know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either
> as that changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
>
> Thank you.

You already have many hundreds of icons scattered all over your system
exe's contains them, and so do some dll's
Take a look in a file called moricons that is somewhere inside your Windows
folder for a fair selection.

°Mike°

http://www.iconbazaar.com/index.html

http://www.iconfactory.com/

http://www.entity.cc/

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:19:46 -0000, in
<%kqCb.44829$(E-Mail Removed)>
Johnny 5 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Harrison

Windows themes is one way to do it.
You can download them or you can make your own.
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...r/03june30.asp

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:19:46 -0000, "Johnny 5" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my desktop? I
>have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and looked at the
>selection in windows but is there any way to download pictures and be able
>to use those as icons instead of the windows ones? I've tried to do it but
>when I click browse to chhose the picture of my choice the picture doesnt
>show up, it seems like it has to be an icon file but I dont know how to do
>it. Does anyone here know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either
>as that changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
>
>Thank you.

°Mike°

Well, DUH, Brain! What part of "I dont want to use desktop
themes either" don't you understand?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:40:28 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Harrison scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

trout

Johnny 5 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my
> desktop? I have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and
> looked at the selection in windows but is there any way to download
> pictures and be able to use those as icons instead of the windows
> ones? I've tried to do it but when I click browse to chhose the
> picture of my choice the picture doesnt show up, it seems like it has
> to be an icon file but I dont know how to do it. Does anyone here
> know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either as that
> changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
>
> Thank you.

I use the program called (oddly enough) ChangeIcon:
http://home.nordnet.fr/~pmdevigne/ChangeIcon_e.html
There are tons of free icons on the net for downloading. An example
of a Google search, using Icons + free + download:
http://tinyurl.com/z018
You can put them wherever you want, and use the ChangeIcon (or
similar) program to navigate to it; to change any folder icon you wish
(except System folders).
--
"Great fun."

Harrison

Also see
http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.ht...ons&tg=dl-2001

wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my desktop? I
>have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and looked at the
>selection in windows but is there any way to download pictures and be able
>to use those as icons instead of the windows ones? I've tried to do it but
>when I click browse to chhose the picture of my choice the picture doesnt
>show up, it seems like it has to be an icon file but I dont know how to do
>it. Does anyone here know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either
>as that changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
>
>Thank you.

trout

Johnny 5 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way I can change the appearance of the icons on my
> desktop? I have r clicked and choose properties then change icon and
> looked at the selection in windows but is there any way to download
> pictures and be able to use those as icons instead of the windows
> ones? I've tried to do it but when I click browse to chhose the
> picture of my choice the picture doesnt show up, it seems like it has
> to be an icon file but I dont know how to do it. Does anyone here
> know please? I dont want to use desktop themes either as that
> changes all of them and I only want to do certain ones.
>
> Thank you.

Also; if you have a picture (of about the right size) that you'd
like to use; it's easy to convert it to an .ico file with a right-click
menu with Irfanview (free):
http://www.irfanview.com/
--
"Get all the plug-ins at the site."

Liz

"trout" wrote:

> Johnny 5 wrote:
>
> > Hi,

> "Get all the plug-ins at the site."

More input, Stephanie!

Johnny 5

Thanks guys, I just love these Newsgroups. There's plenty there to bo going
on with.
news:brdd52$256hi$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...