Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Google groups posting newsgroups messages problem

Google groups posting newsgroups messages problem

Pauline Johnson

Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
messages.

Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-

The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently
unavailable

She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers .........

--
Paulie

pjpjpj A T aussiemail D O T com

Pauline Johnson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:41:54 +1100, Pauline Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
>messages.
>
>Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
>up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently
> unavailable
>

>She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
>
>Any ideas anyone?

P.S. - problem has been going on for about 4 days

--
Paulie

pjpjpj A T aussiemail D O T com

trout

Pauline Johnson wrote:

> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
> messages.
>
> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently
> unavailable
>

> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
>
> Any ideas anyone?
>
> Cheers .........

Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp internet
files, and clearing history?
Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and start
afresh?
--
"I figure; start simple, and work up...."

Pauline Johnson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:06 -0800, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Pauline Johnson wrote:
>
>> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
>> messages.
>>
>> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
>> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>>
>> The page cannot be displayed
>> The page you are looking for is currently
>> unavailable
>>

>> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> Cheers .........

> Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp internet
>files, and clearing history?
> Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and start
>afresh?

Thanks for response.

First point - Yes.

Second point - Good thought I will get her to try that.

Cheers .........

--
Paulie

pjpjpj A T aussiemail D O T com

Pauline Johnson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:06 -0800, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Pauline Johnson wrote:
>
>> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
>> messages.
>>
>> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
>> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>>
>> The page cannot be displayed
>> The page you are looking for is currently
>> unavailable
>>

>> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
>>
>> Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> Cheers .........

> Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp internet
>files, and clearing history?
> Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and start
>afresh?

She has now deleted all cookies and tried again but still no joy

--

Pauline Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 01:59:06 -0800, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Pauline Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and
>>> post messages.
>>>
>>> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
>>> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>>>
>>> The page cannot be displayed
>>> The page you are looking for is currently
>>> unavailable
>>>

>>> She *does* have cookies enabled. She is using Win XP SP1 and IE 6.0
>>>
>>> Any ideas anyone?
>>>
>>> Cheers .........

>> Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp
>> internet files, and clearing history?
>> Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and
>> start afresh?

> She has now deleted all cookies and tried again but still no joy

Hmm. It's posible that there could be a problem with the Google
account, itself, if it's just the 'posting' page that's not coming up.
I'm not familiar with their system, though, so I can't advise how to
check if it's a problem with authentication procedure.
The only other thing I can think of is kind of a long shot. There
have been a number of trojans about that diddle with the hosts file
entries for Google. Seems unlikely that it would effect only the one
type of page, but maybe worth a look.
--
"Sorry; that's about all *I've* got."

shadow self

"Pauline Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
> messages.
>
> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>
> The page cannot be displayed
> The page you are looking for is currently
> unavailable

This is a stretch, but try turning the proxy server off if it is enabled.
IE - Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Settings (or LAN settings if
high-speed). This happened with people using our proxy server on Yahoo
pages.

Pauline Johnson

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:41:48 -0500, "shadow self" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Pauline Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Posting on behalf of a friend who uses Google Groups to read and post
>> messages.
>>
>> Lately when she clicks on the link to post a new message or a follow
>> up message the posting page never comes up - just a message:-
>>
>> The page cannot be displayed
>> The page you are looking for is currently
>> unavailable

>This is a stretch, but try turning the proxy server off if it is enabled.
>IE - Tools | Internet Options | Connections | Settings (or LAN settings if
>high-speed). This happened with people using our proxy server on Yahoo
>pages.

Thanks for suggestion but no proxy is being used.

--

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 16:27:52 -0800, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Pauline Johnson wrote:

>>> Does she do regular maintenance; particularly emptying temp
>>> internet files, and clearing history?
>>> Possibly; clean out the cookies (in case one is corrupted) and
>>> start afresh?

>> She has now deleted all cookies and tried again but still no joy

> Hmm. It's posible that there could be a problem with the Google
>account, itself, if it's just the 'posting' page that's not coming up.
>I'm not familiar with their system, though, so I can't advise how to
>check if it's a problem with authentication procedure.
> The only other thing I can think of is kind of a long shot. There
>have been a number of trojans about that diddle with the hosts file
>entries for Google. Seems unlikely that it would effect only the one
>type of page, but maybe worth a look.

Thanks for response.

Hosts file only has entries for double click.

Can't see this affecting things but she will delete those and try
again