Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win2K Pro boot speed-up tips?

Win2K Pro boot speed-up tips?

fg

I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes basic
system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up and
get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
thanks
Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
Frank

Harrison

That page has little relevance to modern OS"s such as W2k and XP.

RAM - If you're not running at least 256 MB's, then make an upgrade
your first priority towards better performance. Best performance with
2000 Pro will be with 512 - 1024 MB. It truly is the cheapest
performance upgrade you can buy.
http://www.crucial.com

Paging File - Moving your paging file to separate partition
(preferably on a second physical disk) can improve performance and
prevent fragmentation of the paging file. Place the paging file at the
beginning of the disk where the seek times are the fastest. You can
re-partition with Partition Magic without the loss of data.
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/w...371764,00.html

Scan for Spyware and Adware - You didn't explicitly mention these in
your post, so if you haven't already, download, install, update and
run Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware. You may also want to use
Hijackthis to review what's starting up on your PC.
Adaware - http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Spybot Search and Destroy - http://security.kolla.de/
Hijackthis - http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

Networking - Remove or unbind unused protocols such as NetBIOS.

Services - By default, Windows 200 starts and runs many services which
the average home user may never utilize. These services use memory and
processing resources. Review your services and tweak their startup
types and stop the ones you don't need or use. Be mindful of
interdependencies.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...2kservices.asp

Drivers and BIOS - Make sure that you have the latest BIOS and device
drivers available for your system and peripherals.

Good Luck to you.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:18:36 -0500, "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes basic
>system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up and
>get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
>thanks
>Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
>Frank

Billy

Really could use more configuration info, but two thoughts jump out. How
many programs/services are loading on startup and is there an active
unconnected NIC?

"fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NacCb.11366$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes

basic
> system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up

and
> get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
> thanks
> Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
> Frank

fg

Thank you for all this.
I have installed the max (for this machine) of 2566 RAM and I have cleared
spyware etc too (as well as AV). As mentioned in original post I have done
the 'housekeeping' chores. I dont have any partitions and for now I think
I'd prefer not to go there. So what's left are the updates for drivers and
the 'services' - these are little over my head and the functional
explanations dont throw much light on their relationship to others or how
much they may be slowing down the start up and shut down processes.
Any idea which 'services' may be the culprits? Win2K seems to go throgh so
many different stages and procedures to boot up.
thanks
Frank

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ement/w2kservi
ces.asp

> Drivers and BIOS - Make sure that you have the latest BIOS and device
> drivers available for your system and peripherals.
>
> Good Luck to you.
>

> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 00:18:36 -0500, "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes

basic
> >system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up and
> >get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
> >thanks
> >Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
> >Frank

fg

I've stripped the startups to a minimum (StartMan) and the only NIC is
connected to the net

> Really could use more configuration info, but two thoughts jump out. How
> many programs/services are loading on startup and is there an active
> unconnected NIC?
>
> "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:NacCb.11366$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes

> basic
> > system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up

> and
> > get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
> > thanks
> > Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
> > Frank

fg

I should add that , on starting, the oem 's splash screen (emachines) is up
for a long time before the Windows 2000 splash screen appears - maybe it's a
clue?

> I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes basic
> system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up and
> get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
> thanks
> Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
> Frank

Harrison

The fact that it is an emachines system sheds considerable light on
the problem. I've never seen an emachines I wouldn't gladly give away
and buy a Dell for.
If the machine used to boot more quickly and has only recently begun
to slow down, you may want to consider backing up your data and
reinstalling the OS.
Better yet, step up to XP Pro.

One other thing you may want to try, just to be sure, is to remove the
NIC and see of it boots quicker. If so, replacing the NIC may be in
order. I've seen it make a major difference before.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:54:12 -0500, "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I should add that , on starting, the oem 's splash screen (emachines) is up
>for a long time before the Windows 2000 splash screen appears - maybe it's a
>clue?
>

>> I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes basic
>> system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up and
>> get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
>> thanks
>> Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
>> Frank

fg

updating the nic driver has made a Huge difference. I had no idea it could
be so effective.
thanks

<Harrison> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The fact that it is an emachines system sheds considerable light on
> the problem. I've never seen an emachines I wouldn't gladly give away
> and buy a Dell for.
> If the machine used to boot more quickly and has only recently begun
> to slow down, you may want to consider backing up your data and
> reinstalling the OS.
> Better yet, step up to XP Pro.
>
> One other thing you may want to try, just to be sure, is to remove the
> NIC and see of it boots quicker. If so, replacing the NIC may be in
> order. I've seen it make a major difference before.
>
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:54:12 -0500, "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I should add that , on starting, the oem 's splash screen (emachines) is

up
> >for a long time before the Windows 2000 splash screen appears - maybe

it's a
> >clue?
> >

> >> I've done most of the obvious maintenace tune-ups (e.g. as per Mikes

basic
> >> system maintenance page), but Win2kPro still really drags to start up

and
> >> get going - is there anything special I may be missing ?
> >> thanks
> >> Yes, it's been udated, defrag'd, av scanned etc
> >> Frank

Harrison

Cool!
Glad to help.

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:13:39 -0500, "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>updating the nic driver has made a Huge difference. I had no idea it could
>be so effective.
>thanks
>

><Harrison> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> The fact that it is an emachines system sheds considerable light on
>> the problem. I've never seen an emachines I wouldn't gladly give away
>> and buy a Dell for.
>> If the machine used to boot more quickly and has only recently begun
>> to slow down, you may want to consider backing up your data and
>> reinstalling the OS.
>> Better yet, step up to XP Pro.
>>
>> One other thing you may want to try, just to be sure, is to remove the
>> NIC and see of it boots quicker. If so, replacing the NIC may be in
>> order. I've seen it make a major difference before.
>>
>> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:54:12 -0500, "fg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I should add that , on starting, the oem 's splash screen (emachines) is

>up
>> >for a long time before the Windows 2000 splash screen appears - maybe

>it's a
>> >clue?

>basic

>and

Billy

Glad to hear it was resolved, out of curiosity which E-Machines model do
you have?

news:ApoCb.14316$(E-Mail Removed) ...