Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how to find duplicated programmes or software?

how to find duplicated programmes or software?

Angel thoughts

Hi Guys,
is there a way of finding out if I have any item duplicated on my system? I
am running windows 98 se.
thanks.
Angel

Paul - xxx

Angel thoughts posted ...

> Hi Guys,
> is there a way of finding out if I have any item duplicated on my
> system? I am running windows 98 se.
> thanks.
> Angel

There are many programs that say they'll do this. Personally I find they
generally show many false positives and need a certain amount of skill and
vigilance from the user to make them work sufficiently well.

I prefer to use the 'Search or Find' facility of Windows and sort based upon
what criteria I need to find a duplicate for, whether it's size, name,
extension etc etc and use wildcards and modifiers to tailor the search to
weed out the duplicates ..

--
Paul

trout

Angel thoughts wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> is there a way of finding out if I have any item duplicated on my
> system? I am running windows 98 se.
> thanks.
> Angel

This is one function of Easycleaner:
<http://www.toniarts.com/ecleane.htm>
It can search for duplicates using several different criteria; like
size, name, or date. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully
(like any program of this nature).
Make sure you choose the options you want, and that you back-up (at
least, temporarily) anything you delete.
--
"Read that fine manual."

°Mike°

I agree with 'Paul-xxx' . Don't do it!