Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Linux newbie

Linux newbie

KeithS

Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
the basics and how-to's of Linux?

KeithS

WorkingClassHero

"KeithS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fd83191$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
> the basics and how-to's of Linux

Knoppix http://www.knoppix.org/
is a version of Linux that you can download, and burn to cd, for free.
No need to install it either (although you could)
Just pop the cd into your machine , reboot, and the os runs right off the
cd. It won't change your windows settings. Remove the cd, reboot, you're
back to windows. Lots of apps are included also.
Automatically will detect your internet connection.
Wonderful thing to get the *taste* of Linux.
Cheers.

Max Quordlepleen

"KeithS" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
> the basics and how-to's of Linux?
>
> KeithS

If you're looking for a good, newbie friendly Linux distro, I
_strongly_ recommend Mandrake 9.2. It also has great user support at
its own, very active, newsgroup, alt.os.linux.mandrake

--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3

William Poaster

It was on Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:01:41 +0000, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that KeithS wrote:

> Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
> the basics and how-to's of Linux?
>
> KeithS

Have a look at these:-
http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

http://www.tuxfiles.org/

You can download various ISO's to run from a CD, here:-
http://www.linuxiso.org/

Unfortunatly they haven't got the latest SuSE evaluation ISO,
live-eval-9.0, but you can download it from
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/

SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

Whichever distribution you eventually settle for, you will
probably find that you will be happier. You won't need to
worry too much about viruses, nor will you need to keep defragging
your system...as you have with another OS.

HTH

--
Linux User #: 305646.
SuSE Linux Pro 9.0

Situation Toasted

ng comp.os.linux.help
Never subscribed to it so i've no idea how helpful it is.

=-----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

World!
> -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers!

=-----

Max Quordlepleen

William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

Don't listen to him, Keith! SuSe is pure Teutonic evil - expensive,
soul-less German stodge. Mandrake is lithe, free-spirited, French
art. Plus it's _heaps_ cheaper than SuSe - I got the 7CD Mandrake
PowerPack for less than half the price of the equivalent SuSe
package. If you switch to Linux, you will be required to take sides in
distro and text editor holy wars, so, right now, repeat after me -
Vive Mandrake! There is no editor but Xemacs, and GNUs its prophet.

(The above, of course, is total nonsense, the sort of tomfoolery
engendered by a a lighthearted happy spirit, one liberated from the
burden of Redmond. The Suser was, basically correct. Appalling taste in
choice of distro, but basically correct)
--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3
Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
http://maxqnz.com/References.html

B.Al.Zeebub

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:01:41 +0000, Be.Al.Zeebub read and pondered:

> Any good site/newsgroup suggestions for a newbie wishing to find out
> the basics and how-to's of Linux?
>
> KeithS

Linux and the Web go together like a hand and glove. Poke around the links
below to see what might suit you. I've tried a few Linux distributions,
but keep returning to Mandrake as a home desktop. If you have broadband
try downloading one or two of the live CDs that the Linux distributors
put out. Mandrake Move is a good one, but still in Beta; SuSE Live-eval
was a bit slow, even on my machine. Knoppix is good and will tell you if
Linux will work on you hardware. If you're on dial up and decide to go
with Linux, do yourself a favour and buy a real modem. Oh, and stop
thinking Windows...

http://www.google.com/linux
http://www.linuxquestions.org/
http://www.linuxiso.org/
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alex.ba...drake-faq.html
http://fedora.redhat.com/
http://www.suse.com/index_us.html

Enjoy
No viruses to speak of, no disk defrag, no this program has performed an
illegal operation, no sloppy security, no browser hijackers, no reboots,
no spyware, no adware...and no product activation.

B.

Mara

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:35:49 +1300, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

>William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

>Don't listen to him, Keith! SuSe is pure Teutonic evil - expensive,
>soul-less German stodge. Mandrake is lithe, free-spirited, French
>art. Plus it's _heaps_ cheaper than SuSe - I got the 7CD Mandrake
>PowerPack for less than half the price of the equivalent SuSe
>package. If you switch to Linux, you will be required to take sides in
>distro and text editor holy wars, so, right now, repeat after me -
>Vive Mandrake! There is no editor but Xemacs, and GNUs its prophet.

You need to stop rolling and smoking artichokes with hollandaise sauce.

"Or at least, stop inhaling."

>(The above, of course, is total nonsense, the sort of tomfoolery
>engendered by a a lighthearted happy spirit, one liberated from the
>burden of Redmond. The Suser was, basically correct. Appalling taste in
>choice of distro, but basically correct)

--
When life gives you lemons, throw them back and tell life to make its own
damned lemonade. --Unknown

Max Quordlepleen

Mara <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> You need to stop rolling and smoking artichokes with hollandaise sauce.
>
> "Or at least, stop inhaling."

For you, my Queen, of course. I was wondering whether my slagging off
Suse would draw the attention of your femalevolence, since, IIRC, you
have used it yourself.

--
Registered Linux User 297164
GPG Key ID 1B1B6A1D5A2407C3
Noho ora mai, ka kite ano
http://maxqnz.com/References.html

William Poaster

It was on Thu, 11 Dec 2003 23:35:49 +1300, just as I was halfway through a
large jam doughnut, that Max Quordlepleen wrote:

> William Poaster <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> SuSE is very easy to setup & use.

> Don't listen to him, Keith! SuSe is pure Teutonic evil - expensive,
> soul-less German stodge. Mandrake is lithe, free-spirited, French
> art. Plus it's _heaps_ cheaper than SuSe - I got the 7CD Mandrake
> PowerPack for less than half the price of the equivalent SuSe
> package.

Hmmpph! FYI, you bottom dwelling devil of the netherworld -

A] You can download SuSE with all it's packages for free, from SuSE
or any of it's mirror sights.

B] I got my SuSE copies off a friend for 5 [ & copying is quite
legitimate for linux ] to cover the CDs, postage & insurance etc.
5 is about 12AUD, ATM.
So you got Mudlark for less than that?? <g>

C] You can buy copies off ebay too, for a reasonable price.

> If you switch to Linux, you will be required to take sides in
> distro and text editor holy wars, so, right now, repeat after me -
> Vive Mandrake! There is no editor but Xemacs, and GNUs its prophet.

> (The above, of course, is total nonsense, the sort of tomfoolery
> engendered by a a lighthearted happy spirit, one liberated from the
> burden of Redmond.

Agreed!

> The Suser was, basically correct. Appalling taste in
> choice of distro, but basically correct)

Pah! Pfffft! Humbug! Cet la Mudlark zat is too Franch, & one day it
will do sumsing veree franch to vous...& zen, mon ami, tu es up la creek
sans la paddle ! Hee, haw, hee haw, n'est pas?

--
Linux User #: 305646.
SuSE Linux Pro 9.0