Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Pri Master HDD Error

Pri Master HDD Error

Chuck S

I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
first screen.
Pri Master HDD Error
Run Setup
Press F1 to resume

after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
Drive Not Ready
Insert boot diskette in drive A
Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......

tommy

"Chuck S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TYNBb.15252$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
> booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the

very
> first screen.
> Pri Master HDD Error
> Run Setup
> Press F1 to resume
>
> after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
> Drive Not Ready
> Insert boot diskette in drive A
> Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......
>
> Try: Shut off computer/Wait a minute, turn back on and begin tapping F8.

This should give you the option to select "safe mode". This will boot to
desktop. Shut off computer/turn back on and repeat but instead of "safe
mode" select "normal mode"

Alexander Rogge

> I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
> booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
> first screen.
> Pri Master HDD Error
> Run Setup
> Press F1 to resume
>
> after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
> Drive Not Ready
> Insert boot diskette in drive A

Check the hard disk cables and the settings in the BIOS. Is the drive
configured properly and is it set to be bootable? Is the hard disk
cable attached correctly to both the drive and to the motherboard or
adapter card and is the drive plugged into the power supply?

M Mullen

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 18:34:02 -0500, "Chuck S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
|> booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
|> first screen.
|> Pri Master HDD Error
|> Run Setup
|> Press F1 to resume
|>
|> after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
|> Drive Not Ready
|> Insert boot diskette in drive A
|> Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......

Your HD isn't being recognized that's why your getting the Press F1 to resume.
You should have an auto config in the bios for the it. If not (or it can't find
it) your going to have to key in it's drive info.

--
,,
( "> w

Plato

Chuck S wrote:

> I have an older pc that someone wanted me to look at cause it was not
> booting.You get 2 beeps and when you boot up you get this error in the very
> first screen.
> Pri Master HDD Error
> Run Setup
> Press F1 to resume
>
> after hitting F1 you get 2 beeps and then this error
> Drive Not Ready
> Insert boot diskette in drive A
> Is it wanting to reinstall windows.......... is the hdd gone bad......

No, it's not wanting to reinstall Windows. It's simply trying to find a
bootable drive.

Run Setup means go into the bios and see if you can autodetect the hard
drive. The battery may have failed and the seetings may have been lost.
If you cant detect the hard drive then check both power and data cables
and check if the drive is spinning. If you
can detect the hard drive in the bios then replace the motherboard
battery.

In this case "Press F1 to resume" simply means you are telling the PC to
try the next step. If it's a real old PC then the drive may be connected
to a separate controller card which may have failed. If its a real, real
old PC, then you wont find a hard drive
autodetect in the bios, so if the battery has failed, you have to get
the heads, cyls,
and sector settings off the label on the drive and enter them in
manually in the bios.

And yes, the hard drive _may_ have gone bad, or the onboard PCI HDD
controller may have gone bad. Or, the primary controller on the
motherboard may have gone bad so one can
always try connecting it to the secondary. Or, another drive on the same
channel as the
bootable drive may have gone bad thus disabling what may well be your
still good C: drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

tommy wrote:

> > Try: Shut off computer/Wait a minute, turn back on and begin tapping F8.

> This should give you the option to select "safe mode". This will boot to
> desktop. Shut off computer/turn back on and repeat but instead of "safe
> mode" select "normal mode"

You're confusing windows setup with a bios setup message.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

M Mullen wrote:

> You should have an auto config in the bios for the it. If not (or it can't find
> it) your going to have to key in it's drive info.

Ahh, those were the days. Either you had to take the drive out to read
the settings or,
in the worst case the settings weren't on the drive [stupid] and you had
to go to the
makers webpage. At the time there was this freebie program I forget the
name that
basically had all the settings for all the drives by model number. Darn
thing fit on
a floppy as well. Came in handy.

These pages used to come in handy. Cant say I've used them in years tho.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rayp/hd-index.html
http://www.pc-disk.de/