Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help Appreciated!

Help Appreciated!

Andrea

Hello,

Hoping someone might be kind enough to help with a problem that has
been plaguing me for months.

I use a Windows ME operating system. I am attempting to place an
advertisement on a website. The site has blocked me. In an attempt
to circumvent the block, I have experimented with several different
programs. The primary one, Anonymizer, boasts the ability to hide
your operating system through proxy servers, filter javascript, and
encrypt cookies, as well as your ISP Address. I've also used an
ecrypted e-mail program and others similar to the Anonymixer (i.e.
MegaProxy). Unfortunately, none have worked.

I believe that my ISP has placed a permanent cookie on my hard drive.
I think this cookie is read by the site I am attempting to place an
advertisement on, regardless of the filtering program I use. I would
like to know how to delete this permanent cookie, so I may again
access this website.

I phoned my ISP Provider, and they informed me that I have a Dynamic
IP Address. Do I receive a new permanent cookie each time my IP
Address changes? Or is it the same cookie provided by my ISP (Cox
Communications)? They said that my IP Address changes about once a
month, rather than each time I log on to the Internet.

* What is the best browser to use (most secure, encrypted)? I
currently use Internet Explorer.
* Does unplugging the cable modem, and then re-plugging it, reset the
permanent cookie?
* Can the expiry dates in permanent cookies be changed?
* Is any software available the blocks a site's ability to set a
permanent cookie?
* How may I delete the permanent cookie?

An acquaintance who works for Microsoft mentioned that the problem may
lie in my computer registry. Is there something I need to change, to
prevent the site from identifying me?

If it is not a permanant cookie is not the cause of my problem,
perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. I've even
re-installed Windows ME, and it still has not worked.

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

-= Hawk =-

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:42:08 -0800, Andrea <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>I've even re-installed Windows ME, and it still has not worked.

That's a shitload of work to spam a website that
obviously doesn't want you. Why not take the
hint and **** off?

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Mike

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 10:42:08 -0800, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Andrea scrawled:

>Hello,
>
>Hoping someone might be kind enough to help with a problem that has
>been plaguing me for months.
>
>I use a Windows ME operating system. I am attempting to place an
>advertisement on a website. The site has blocked me. In an attempt
>to circumvent the block,

Why would you do that? They have obviously blocked you,
or your ISP for a reason.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Brian H

Andrea said:

> Hello,
>
> Hoping someone might be kind enough to help with a problem that has
> been plaguing me for months.

At last, a spammer that is getting plagued.

Sell your pc, you obviously know nothing about computers or the internet and
their workings.

Not to mention not knowing how a webmaster can ban you from their site.

Andrea

You are mistaken; I was not spamming the site. This is a shared
system. But this is the response I thought I would receive.
Unfortunately, it is rare to find someone technically savvy enough to
respond to my query.

A.On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:29:40 -0000, "Brian H"

Andrea said:

> You are mistaken; I was not spamming the site. This is a shared
> system. But this is the response I thought I would receive.
> Unfortunately, it is rare to find someone technically savvy enough to
> respond to my query.

1. You are using a really crap platform, Win ME.
2. Webmasters use logs and statistics to weed out abusers, some block by your
IP, others block by your e-mail address.

What has a shared system got to do with what *you* are trying to do?

And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle syndrome, you
are knocking the technical savvy of those that know far more than yourself.
Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post to and ask
them why you can't reach their pages.

> A.On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:29:40 -0000, "Brian H"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Andrea said:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Hoping someone might be kind enough to help with a problem that has
>>> been plaguing me for months.
>>>

>> At last, a spammer that is getting plagued.
>>
>> Sell your pc, you obviously know nothing about computers or the internet and
>> their workings.
>>
>> Not to mention not knowing how a webmaster can ban you from their site.

Andrea

>>And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle syndrome, you
are knocking the technical savvy of those that know far more than
yourself.
Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post to
and ask
them why you can't reach their pages.<<

Brian,

If you are technically savvy, then I'm certain you must have an answer
to my problem. I'm always willing to learn something new.

A.

>Andrea said:
>
>> You are mistaken; I was not spamming the site. This is a shared
>> system. But this is the response I thought I would receive.
>> Unfortunately, it is rare to find someone technically savvy enough to
>> respond to my query.

>1. You are using a really crap platform, Win ME.
>2. Webmasters use logs and statistics to weed out abusers, some block by your
>IP, others block by your e-mail address.
>
>What has a shared system got to do with what *you* are trying to do?
>
>And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle syndrome, you
>are knocking the technical savvy of those that know far more than yourself.
>Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post to and ask
>them why you can't reach their pages.
>

>> A.On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:29:40 -0000, "Brian H"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>>> At last, a spammer that is getting plagued.
>>>
>>> Sell your pc, you obviously know nothing about computers or the internet and
>>> their workings.
>>>
>>> Not to mention not knowing how a webmaster can ban you from their site.

Boomer

Andrea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>>And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle
>>>syndrome, you

> are knocking the technical savvy of those that know far more than
> yourself.
> Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post
> to and ask
> them why you can't reach their pages.<<
>
> Brian,
>
> If you are technically savvy, then I'm certain you must have an
> answer to my problem. I'm always willing to learn something new.
>
> A.
>

>>Andrea said:
>>
>>> You are mistaken; I was not spamming the site. This is a shared
>>> system. But this is the response I thought I would receive.
>>> Unfortunately, it is rare to find someone technically savvy
>>> enough to respond to my query.

>>1. You are using a really crap platform, Win ME.
>>2. Webmasters use logs and statistics to weed out abusers, some
>>block by your IP, others block by your e-mail address.
>>
>>What has a shared system got to do with what *you* are trying to
>>do?
>>
>>And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle
>>syndrome, you are knocking the technical savvy of those that know
>>far more than yourself. Now go away and e-mail the admin of the
>>site that you want to post to and ask them why you can't reach
>>their pages.

He did.
"Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post to
and ask them why you can't reach their pages."

>>> A.On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:29:40 -0000, "Brian H"

Brian H

Andrea said:

>>> And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle syndrome,
>>> you

> are knocking the technical savvy of those that know far more than
> yourself.
> Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post to
> and ask
> them why you can't reach their pages.<<
>
> Brian,
>
> If you are technically savvy, then I'm certain you must have an answer
> to my problem. I'm always willing to learn something new.
>
> A.

I already answered your question.
Webmasters use logs and stats to keep track of what goes on on their site.
Some will block your IP, others will block your e-mail address.
I also told you to e-mail the sites admin and ask if there is a reason for you
to be blocked.

>> Andrea said:
>>
>>> You are mistaken; I was not spamming the site. This is a shared
>>> system. But this is the response I thought I would receive.
>>> Unfortunately, it is rare to find someone technically savvy enough to
>>> respond to my query.

>> 1. You are using a really crap platform, Win ME.
>> 2. Webmasters use logs and statistics to weed out abusers, some block by your
>> IP, others block by your e-mail address.
>>
>> What has a shared system got to do with what *you* are trying to do?
>>
>> And I should point out that you are suffering from blackpotkettle syndrome,
>> you are knocking the technical savvy of those that know far more than
>> yourself. Now go away and e-mail the admin of the site that you want to post
>> to and ask them why you can't reach their pages.
>>

>>> A.On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 19:29:40 -0000, "Brian H"

Andrea

*If Windows ME is a "crap" platform, is there another you might
recommend?

* I've used anonymous email addresses, as well as several proxy
servers to hide my IP, as expressed in my initial post. If
webmasters use logs and statistics to identify users via their email
and IP Address (as noted in your response), then perhaps you might
offer a suggestion as to how they are still able to track a user. Or
is another method at work?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 22:09:00 -0000, "Brian H"