Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help me understand a cross over cable.

Help me understand a cross over cable.

Louis AA

Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person said I
need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me to
understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If I
connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A & B
would that make a network? Not taking into consideration setting up the
software to allow networking. In other words, would I have the mechanical
solution for a network?

Harrison

No. Since the cables are connecting without the benefit of a hub or
switch, you need a crossover cable. A crossover cable merely maps the
TX (transmit) and RX (receive) wires to each other from opposing ends.

Here's the basic layout.
http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/crossover.html

If you don't have the tools, get someone to make you one or buy one
ready-made.

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:15:05 GMT, "Louis AA"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person said I
>need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me to
>understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If I
>connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A & B
>would that make a network?
>Not taking into consideration setting up the
>software to allow networking. In other words, would I have the mechanical
>solution for a network?

w_tom

Two wires go to the NID transmitter. Two other wires go to
the NID receiver. The hub knows this. Therefore those two
transmitter wires are also the hub's receiver wires. Pins 2
and 6 are a transmitter in one end and a receiver in the other
end.

But if you hook that same wire between two computers, then
computer 1 NID transmitter connects to computer 2 NID
transmitter. Computer 1 receiver connects to computer 2
receiver.

To connect two computers together, the cable must exchange
connections - to that computer 1 transmitter connects to
computer 2 receiver. This is called a cross over cable.

Louis AA wrote:

> Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person said I
> need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me to
> understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If I
> connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A & B
> would that make a network? Not taking into consideration setting up the
> software to allow networking. In other words, would I have the mechanical
> solution for a network?

ImhoTech

"Louis AA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JioBb.7526$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person said

> need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me to
> understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If I
> connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A &

> would that make a network? Not taking into consideration setting up the
> software to allow networking. In other words, would I have the mechanical
> solution for a network?

You do need the crossover cable. Ethernet uses two pairs of wires, one pair
to send data on Tx and one pair to receive data on, called Rx. Data sent
from one computer leaves on the "send" or Tx pair, but has to arrive on the
"receive" pair on the destination computer. That's why you need a crossover
cable to connect two computers directly together from nic card to nic card.

If you use a hub or a switch, the crossover in done internally and you use
standard ethernet cabling to connect the computers to the hub.

why?

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:15:05 GMT, "Louis AA" wrote:

>Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person said I
>need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me to
>understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If I
>connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A & B

The Cat5 , rating does not matter so much here. It could be Cat3 up
to Cat7 . What you are looking for is the signal connection (pin
function) . Cat 5/5e cables are very easy to find and are cheap..

Same applies to Ethernet, it can run over different cables and
connectors.

So it's really a RJ45 (of whatever Cat value) Crossover cable you
need.

It's already been mentioned about TX out of one side is RX into the
other.

Here is a nice diagram and what's going on page.
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable4.htm
http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm

>would that make a network? Not taking into consideration setting up the

A crossover cable will only connect 2PCs, if you need more than that
then it's a hub (or switch) and patch (pin 1-1 , 2-2 upto 8-
cables.

>software to allow networking. In other words, would I have the mechanical
>solution for a network?

Me

Louis AA

Thanks guys. I have a better understanding now. I was going to wire the two
together to have the experience of working with a networking but I now
understand that using an Ethernet cable is termed pier to pier I believe.
I will move to another subject.

Suppose I were to use a wireless router and forget getting the internet
involved in that matter for now.
The goal is to be at minimum be wireless to the laptop from the desktop. I
already own the a router, Linksys BEFW11S4. It is designed for broadband
internet but I can't get any type of broadband, cable nor DSL.
If I understand it right, I could use the Ethernet connection from the
Desktop (B) to the Router using one of the four Ethernet plugs. And over
the wireless part, use radio waves to connect the laptop (A) from the
Desktop. Does that sound correct so far?

And if I had to go wireless with the Desktop, I have a wireless PCI card for
the Desktop so I could eliminate the hard wire (Ethernet cable) and then be
wireless to both A and B and that is the mechanical part of the networking.
Is this correct thus far?

The end goal is to be able to share and write files on each computer.
Although, in my mind, I rather have the Desktop store the files and allow
access to the Laptop to read or write to those stored files, thus only
needing to backup the Desktop. Is that sound reasoning? As you see, I have
been all over the news accounts looking for a solution on going wireless
with a dial up modem but for now I will just put that on hold and do this in
phases or steps as money allows.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:15:05 GMT, "Louis AA" wrote:
>
> >Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person

said I
> >need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me

> >understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If

> >connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A &

> The Cat5 , rating does not matter so much here. It could be Cat3 up
> to Cat7 . What you are looking for is the signal connection (pin
> function) . Cat 5/5e cables are very easy to find and are cheap..
>
> Same applies to Ethernet, it can run over different cables and
> connectors.
>
> So it's really a RJ45 (of whatever Cat value) Crossover cable you
> need.
>
> It's already been mentioned about TX out of one side is RX into the
> other.
>
> Here is a nice diagram and what's going on page.
> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable4.htm
> http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/ne...ble/cable5.htm
>
> >would that make a network? Not taking into consideration setting up the

> A crossover cable will only connect 2PCs, if you need more than that
> then it's a hub (or switch) and patch (pin 1-1 , 2-2 upto 8-
> cables.
>
> >software to allow networking. In other words, would I have the

mechanical
> >solution for a network?
> >

> Me

why?

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 21:54:44 GMT, "Louis AA" wrote:

>Thanks guys. I have a better understanding now. I was going to wire the two
>together to have the experience of working with a networking but I now

Why 'was going'?

>understand that using an Ethernet cable is termed pier to pier I believe.

I think you meant 'peer-to-peer'.

>I will move to another subject.
>
>Suppose I were to use a wireless router and forget getting the internet
>involved in that matter for now.
>The goal is to be at minimum be wireless to the laptop from the desktop. I
>already own the a router, Linksys BEFW11S4. It is designed for broadband
>internet but I can't get any type of broadband, cable nor DSL.
>If I understand it right, I could use the Ethernet connection from the
>Desktop (B) to the Router using one of the four Ethernet plugs. And over

Yes, it should act just like multiport switch at that point.

>the wireless part, use radio waves to connect the laptop (A) from the

Get a WAP, wireless access point which plugs into the Linksys and a
wireless NIC for the laptop.

>Desktop. Does that sound correct so far?

Yes.

>And if I had to go wireless with the Desktop, I have a wireless PCI card for
>the Desktop so I could eliminate the hard wire (Ethernet cable) and then be
>wireless to both A and B and that is the mechanical part of the networking.
>Is this correct thus far?

Sounds okay.

>The end goal is to be able to share and write files on each computer.
>Although, in my mind, I rather have the Desktop store the files and allow
>access to the Laptop to read or write to those stored files, thus only
>needing to backup the Desktop. Is that sound reasoning? As you see, I have

Yes, it's up to you what you share out and what the permissions are.

>been all over the news accounts looking for a solution on going wireless
>with a dial up modem but for now I will just put that on hold and do this in
>phases or steps as money allows.

A couple of sites, dealing with networking, file sharing
Windows Networking,
http://www.wown.com/
looks like site has been redesigned, some links are broken.

Networking, sharing, security.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Example setups wired / mixed wireless connections.
www.netgear.com
Select the router / nic or wireless access point t to see how the
things fit together. See datasheet and diagram links.

Example,
http://www.netgear.com/images/diagra...11_diagram.jpg

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 18:15:05 GMT, "Louis AA" wrote:
>>
>> >Looks as if I need to school myself on the various terms. One person

>said I
>> >need a "cross over cable for Ethernet to hard wire a network". Help me

>> >understand this. Computer A and B both have an Ethernet connection. If

>> >connected an Ethernet cable, cat 5 to each Ethernet port on computers A &

>> The Cat5 , rating does not matter so much here. It could be Cat3 up
>> to Cat7 . What you are looking for is the signal connection (pin

<snip>

Me