Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clearing windows prefetch files

Clearing windows prefetch files

Andrew Mott

What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove the items
to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of it seriously
affecting my computer running properly?
Regards
Andy

Billh

My understanding is this is some kind of way to make these programs work a
bit faster and that cleaning them out does not hurt anything. I have
cleared mine from time to time with no ill effects.

"Andrew Mott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7n6Bb.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove the

items
> to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of it seriously
> affecting my computer running properly?
> Regards
> Andy

Boomer

"Andrew Mott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:7n6Bb.2$(E-Mail Removed):

> What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove
> the items to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of
> it seriously affecting my computer running properly?
> Regards
> Andy

I won't use "prefetch".

Here's some tips:

°Mike°'s "Basic computer maintenance"

Harrison

No harm whatsoever.
More here http://tinyurl.com/k8l
Better to read up from the source than from some hack's web page about
Windows 9x.

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 21:51:05 -0000, "Andrew Mott"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove the items
>to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of it seriously
>affecting my computer running properly?
>Regards
>Andy

Geno

This only works if you are using Windows XP!!!!!!

Use Local Group Policy to Whack PREFETCH Files on Shutdown

Here's a tip for you Windows XP Pros: If you're not familiar with the
procedures in this tip, do not try them at home! WinXPnews "special agent"
M5100 shares this tip with other WinXPnews readers, about how to whack
PREFETCH Files on Shutdown:

1.. Create a new text file in the C:\ directory.
2.. Type "del c:\windows\prefetch\*.* /q" (without the quotes) into the
new text document.
3.. Save the file as "prefetch.bat" and close the file.
4.. From the Start menu, click the Run command. Type gpedit.msc in the
Open text box and click OK.
5.. In the Local Security Policy console, under the Computer Configuration
node, expand the Windows Settings node. Under the Windows Settings node,
select the Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) node and click the Standard tab at the
bottom of the window.
6.. Double click Shutdown in the right pane of the console. Click the Add
button in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
7.. In the Add a Script dialog box, type c:\prefetch.bat. Click OK.
8.. The C:\prefetch.bat file appears in the list of files. Click Apply and
then click OK in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
9.. Close the Group Policy console and then restart the computer. During
shutdown, you'll see a message that says that shutdown scripts are being
applied.
Now you are finished. Every time you shut down or restart your computer, it
will run your shutdown script to delete the prefetch files.

"Andrew Mott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7n6Bb.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove the

items
> to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of it seriously
> affecting my computer running properly?
> Regards
> Andy

mcrosby mcrosby is offline
Junior Member

Please DO NOT do this! It is a myth that cleaning out the windows prefetch folder speeds up your computer. Deleting the prefetch folder will slow your machine down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno
This only works if you are using Windows XP!!!!!!

Use Local Group Policy to Whack PREFETCH Files on Shutdown

Here's a tip for you Windows XP Pros: If you're not familiar with the
procedures in this tip, do not try them at home! WinXPnews "special agent"
M5100 shares this tip with other WinXPnews readers, about how to whack
PREFETCH Files on Shutdown:

1.. Create a new text file in the C:\ directory.
2.. Type "del c:\windows\prefetch\*.* /q" (without the quotes) into the
new text document.
3.. Save the file as "prefetch.bat" and close the file.
4.. From the Start menu, click the Run command. Type gpedit.msc in the
Open text box and click OK.
5.. In the Local Security Policy console, under the Computer Configuration
node, expand the Windows Settings node. Under the Windows Settings node,
select the Scripts (Startup/Shutdown) node and click the Standard tab at the
bottom of the window.
6.. Double click Shutdown in the right pane of the console. Click the Add
button in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
7.. In the Add a Script dialog box, type c:\prefetch.bat. Click OK.
8.. The C:\prefetch.bat file appears in the list of files. Click Apply and
then click OK in the Shutdown Properties dialog box.
9.. Close the Group Policy console and then restart the computer. During
shutdown, you'll see a message that says that shutdown scripts are being
applied.
Now you are finished. Every time you shut down or restart your computer, it
will run your shutdown script to delete the prefetch files.

"Andrew Mott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7n6Bb.2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the purpose of the windows prefetch file, and can i remove the

items
> to reduce bloatware. If i do this is there any danger of it seriously
> affecting my computer running properly?
> Regards
> Andy

artakchino artakchino is offline
Junior Member

There is a program that deletes prefetch files securely - History Killer Pro
historykillerpro(dot)com

lspallina lspallina is offline
Junior Member

Clearing the Windows Prefetch will slow down the bootup time of your computer.

Windows Prefetch stores segments of files to load on into memory on call when Windows loads, so that your HDD does not have to load the full application just to access the small segment it needs several times during the booting process.

Deleting the Prefetch folder will only serve positively to eliminate evidence of programs previously assigned to load on Windows startup.